1972 Datsun 1600 Special

View and post your 510 project(s)
Doraemon
Supporter

1972 Datsun 1600 Special

Post by Doraemon » 11 Apr 2019 13:08

Owning a "Datsun 1600 Special" for three years now. But losing a workshop to work on the car back in the day and moving into an appartment did slow down the progress to zero. And the rental garage box where working on your car is prohibited isn't helping neither. And can't drive the car around since it failed the Dutch MOT test. But now we moved into a house with a garage! Still the house needs some work but now slowly getting more time to work on the car atlast!

Little story about the Datsun.
No 510's were for sale in the Netherlands. So I had to look a bit more further away from home and found this Datsun in Porto Portugal where it also is been assembled. When I got the car home and later took it to a Japanese Classic meeting some people told me interesting things about this Datsun which I had no clue about it when I bought it.
Now you probably wondered what's so "Special" about it. The Portugese market had an extra version of the 1600 which called Special. It's basicly a SSS but without the blue glass, SSS badges and some other things. But this car has the SSS wooden steering wheel and (as far as I know) the flat top piston engine and the A87 head with SSS cam.

First things I did when I got the car is fixed up the electrics which almost got the car into a driving fireball. The unfused big positive wire isolation from the air horn broke away from the lead from age and was laying next to the fuel lines. Yikes! Put on new tires and put the Japanese style fender mirrors on. And looked like this:

Slowly collected some tools last year and now last week I slowly get to work on the rust repairs atlast. Was kinda nervous taking the left fender of to see how it will looked underneath. But it actually looks pretty neat luckaly! Never did any metal sheet working before and just tried starting folding metal a bit. And the second try did work out damn well. Welded in and my first panel and pretty happy how it worked out. Not perfect yet but I think it's a great start.

www.instagram.com/datsunshine510/