The start.

View and post your 510 project(s)
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

Well today I pulled off the (California cool paint) Sunspension. Tuesday it gets the wire brush treatment to descale all the surface rust in the cab. After it is wire brushed, Some weld modifications need to be made to the cage. I will post more pictures during this process.

The blue one sports a nice 80's theme. I just need a slammed 620 with the slime paintjob now.
An Idea doesn't work unless you do.
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

Here is the section of cage I need to cut out to be able to install regular doors. The NASCAR side impact support.
I started stripping the surface rust from the floor and cage on the passenger side. Hope by the end of the week to have the interior stripped and primed.
[/img]
Attachments
Cageremove1.JPG
Cageremove2.JPG
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

Well The last of my rust repair was finished today. Now I just need to put the car up on some tall sturdy Horses to strip the bottom of the car. I hope to have the car filled and primed by sunday. HOPE!! Pictures will be posted soon.
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

Where to start.
I have not accomplished what I wanted. Last weekend was a running in place with no forward motion weekend. In most ways I think I need to time manage better. I finished some odds and end on the body, such as grinding some wels down. I was wanting to have it totally prepped for a good prime. That didnt happen. :evil:
A lot of it had to do with the COLD weather and not having a heater in the garage. Not this weekend though, I barrowed a nice warm heater from a friend. Now I can sand and grind to my hearts delight.
Im having the project focus problem too. Im trying to get other parts of the car project done the same time im trying to finish another :shock: . I feal so scattered at times.
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Mattndew76 wrote: Im trying to get other parts of the car project done the same time im trying to finish another :shock: . I feal so scattered at times.
Welcome to my world. :?
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Mattndew76,

There's a few of us feeling for you in the time department; Trust us, we know how you feel!
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

i think its a 510 thing...

5 times outta 10 things dont go forward and another priority gets the attention (kids, the other 510, the nagging ex, home sale :twisted: )

we know :!:
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

Well today I did a nice bit of Clean up around the car. Put the Engine up on the engine stand. And ran the sander over the car a few times. I feal way better now. I have a 3 day weekend and a peice of paper with my projects written in order of importance. I just have to stick to the list.
Tax's are coming soon so Another $4000 for the car will help ease my guts. I just cant wait to drive this feather light car with a little peppy 175 ponies under the hood.
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

Well today The car got the start of the 50/50 paint job. The whole interior was shot in black today. Tomarrow Im going to shoot another coat, then lay down some Dynamat.
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

New pics.
Attachments
If you cant find a new core support, fix the old one.
If you cant find a new core support, fix the old one.
This is the new black. With a nice layer of sanding dust.
This is the new black. With a nice layer of sanding dust.
I removed the side impact nascar looking part of the Cage.
I removed the side impact nascar looking part of the Cage.
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

First coat of 50/50 went on today.
Attachments
Not to bad for a 50/50 paint job.
Not to bad for a 50/50 paint job.
Another from the back black.
Another from the back black.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Nice to see someone making progress on there dime... :D I got some paint supplies for mine today :D Yours is coming along nicely
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

Its nice on film, but at 1 ft you can see the imperfections. Its a race car so 25-50 ft, it looks nice.
Gensaiken1

Post by Gensaiken1 »

Looks really cool. Better come get those doors so you can get em ready for paint. ;)
1971 2dr Datsun 510 - L20b, 219 SSS Head, Roundtop SU's
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

So I have the tail end of Blue car jack up in the air. Im getting ready to pull all fuel and brake lines for The black car. I thought the fuel tank was empty,Guess again Matt. I ran it til the line was below E on the meter. But so far with the fuel line draining,It has filled up 3 gallons on the gas can. So now I sit patiently waiting for the wife to get home so I can empty my gas can into the truck and begin again.

The Blue 69 will soon be sitting on jack stands waiting for the day of restoration. "Oh yes Blue car; You will be Blue and tacky once more."