Project: SR20DET 510- JDM goodies!@!

View and post your 510 project(s)
mesojdm

Project: SR20DET 510- JDM goodies!@!

Post by mesojdm »

~*~*~*~*~UPDATE!!!!!!!~*~*~*~

OKaaaaay here you guys go-
Sorry for the long delay in updates! 411- everything is done, motor runs all thats left is;
-Dyno Tune
-Catback fabbed
-Door pannels put on
-Finish trunk inside
-Fiberglass kickpannels

I took alot of pics to make up for all the ones Ive missed during the build hehe. Let me know if you have any questiions! ENJOI!!!!!!!!

Hello,
I am a noob here but share the love for the 510's. SOmething about that box shape that I have always been attracted too. ANyways I am redoing a 72' with a "new school jdm" theme. Take it as you may, some people like it, some not their taste. Dont flame too much :oops: Well here is my soon to be dime. let me know what you think!:
DIARY;
Picked up first day:
ORIGINAL OWNER, grandma car not a TOUCH of rust or BONDO!! Few dings..but cant complain its 35 years old!
Perfect project. Only problem its automatic. NO worries though..i Have a donor tranny/engine.
Still has spare tire/mat, all original rubber datsun floor mats, and the AM radio still blasted loud! SCORE

Second day;
Gutted interior/glass/chrome trim etc.

Thats right...92 earth shaking hp!!

FMIC fitted..SUCH A TIGHT FIT!@

Donor Car;(blacktop s13 240sx)

Donor motor pulled and cleaned;

Stock L-series motor yanked and all engine bay MISC holes welded up and shaved down.(going for a CLEAN? look..no wires/lines/etc? visable)

Front SR motor/tranny x-member, steering linkage, poly bushings etc. All needed for a clean look and better steering repsonse/handling.

NEW PARTS that will be going on this project;

Greddy intake manifold;

Tial 38mm;

Sard fuel rail;

Sard FPR;

Sard BOV;

T3/T4 exhaust manifold.(need to be log style to clear the steering;

Nardi wheel with quick release;

New rollers; volk ce28 16X7

Along with rubber..gotta stay protected! falken rt-615

Bride gias;

Laying out how the rear seats will look;

Garrett GT30R;

Goal is around 350-400whp...(in a car that weighs 1900-2000lbs:):)) r180 LSD diff and custom shorted driveshafted, full defi gauges with tach, full bride interior, etc. No corners cut on this project..the best of the best parts! Thanks guys...stay tuned as this project unfolds.. :D :D

got the wilwoods in. 4 piston front, 2rear. 11" vented and slotted. SS lines.;

Spent COUNTLESS hours sanding and polishing intake manifold. Fitting fuel rail also;

Greddy oil pan installed and sealed up. NOticed inside it had little flap doors...nice feature;

Parts adding up..need to get them on the car!

I am workin on the motor got the head off new ARP studs in, greddy 1.2mm headgasket, Torqued down to spec of course. Then intalled HKS 264/264 cams. Then what I have been strugling with is getting the cam gears in the right position/synced up with the crank. MY dumb@$$ didnt mark the chain and gear when I took them off....so I think i got it cross your fingers when it starts up. lol. Engine harness is off to a speciality wiring shop that will rewire it for my datsun will all new relays. Basically send it back to me and all I need to do it hook up to all theconnectors in the enginebay(only one connector can go one place..cant mess that up!) , then mount ECU, and hook up +12v, IGN, START and fuel pump. Also I have been wokring on rewiring the whole car. I am ripping out all of the crappy wiring and using all new relays, fues box, etc. Bought a AL. pannel to mount everyhing that will mount inside agaist the firewall. I also have 200SQft of dynamat ordered so quite this beast up!!!!some pics;

CURRENT STATE:
finding IGN harness wires and basic necessity's

MISC s13 and 510 ratness combination. to the trash we go!!!!

NEW wiring, connectors, techflex(pro loom), 0AWG becasue battery will be in back and dont want a voltage drop by the time it gets to starter.

Mounting plate with Fusebox, BOSCH relays, and JUST the basics to get street legal!
(HEADLIGHTS<TAILLIGHTS<TURNSIGNALS<RUNNINGLIGHTS<HORN) NO BMW heated seats here!!!

MOTor broken down, its @ TDC, both lobes on the first valve at poointing away from eachother( that is what I was told)hope it works...

Heart of the power...264/264. Have been told these will reach my hp goal of 400WHP

still in paint, having all the side markers, door locks, emblems, mirror holes, antenna, etc shaved. GOing for a plain clean look. I only put a G down..and hopefully santa will pick up the rest of the tab for my x-mas present**cross fingers** Heres some recent shots of my motor All ready to go in!
JUst got the valve cover back from powdercoat and I found a guy who does a GREAT job for CHEEP. He did mine for $40 shipped!!! He just does small parts so if you have something needed coating his email is; small_batch_coatings@yahoo.com tell him stew sent ya.

----------
Anyways, while Im waiting im doing all the little stuff. Here is the HID modification Im doing. Basically taking the factory sealed beams out...and putting in E46 M3 projectors in and 8k HID kit. This will be for the HIGH and LOW beams. I had to find a light that was 6" diameter, CLEAR front lens(no markings or anything) and was removeable. I searched and searched and finally ended up going to wally world and got a off the shelf "fog light" kit. Cut it all up, sealed it back for the projectors and BAM looks factory. :):) PIcs;

HI- AND LOW

the back;

New VS stock; MUCHO BETTER!
Stopped by the body shop today for the first time..but forgot my camera, RATS! Anyways they are pretty much done with the welding/sanding etc and its ready for primer. I picked out the paint so they are going to order it(metallic blue from nissan reallllllly sweet in the sun imo). Also they are rolling the fenders so I will not have any issues with rubbing down the road. In the meantime I am doing little things example;
dash unit..custom installed 350z airvents, defi link tach(will go with all other defis that will be installed, BOOST<FUEL PRES<WATER TEMP<EGT) Still trying to figure out hoe to get the factory speedo working as it is mechanical and my s13 tranny is a wire. Debating weather to even keep the factory midddle gauge "fuel/ temp" but it is too small to throw a 60mm defi in. 52Mm MIGHT fit, ill have to measure.

Also...beefed up the diff. ALOT. Pics STOCK(r160 open) VS NEW(r200 LSD baby!)
WOW MUCHO BIGGER!
This diff is a rare find and anyone that knows what this is knows it can handle some major HP. I scored when I saw it on a local f/s add for cheeeep. It is also the LSD version(you can tell by the cooling fins on the cover) which was avail in 300zx turbo 88-91or something.
LSD FTMFW
I am going big so I will not have to worry about any problems down the road. Also this diff bolts into the factory location belive it or not, but I will have to go with custom CV' axles.
Last edited by mesojdm on 02 Oct 2008 22:50, edited 4 times in total.
510rob

RE: Project: SR20DET 510- JDM goodies!@!

Post by 510rob »

bling bling!
banzai510(hainz)

Post by banzai510(hainz) »

Dude
Your car is going to be awesome& looks like your on your way too it.
its out of my leauge,and what I want to spend on a 510.

Everything is Top Notch, You just threw me off using a tree to pull your motor out!!!!????????????????????????????

I like the powdercoating and he is cheap
Could do some L series front timming covers and motor mounts ect........
small_batch_coatings@yahoo.com
Last edited by banzai510(hainz) on 09 Jan 2007 12:20, edited 1 time in total.
zuum510

RE: Project: SR20DET 510- JDM goodies!@!

Post by zuum510 »

you mean.... cha-CHING!! those seats are like $1600 EACH (USD)
1971 510 Wagon
jackedaw11

Post by jackedaw11 »

Way to go, it looks like you've done your research and know exactly what you are doing, i'm looking forward to seeing this!
RWD_NissanMan
Supporter

Post by RWD_NissanMan »

I noticed in reading through your post you are having trouble setting your camshaft timing. It is really quite fool proof - there are different coloured links on the timing chain for this purpose. On some chains they are silver and on some I have seen them yellow for the crank and silver for the cams. Look at your chain to see if you can find the 3 links that have a different coloured front link (the part of the link that faces toward the front of the motor). What you do is put these links on the "dots" stamped in the timing gears next to the tooth that the link goes on. Once you have it on the dots - it is correct, there is only one way it can go on.
1969 Datsun 510 4-door (donor shell for below)
1973 Datsun 510 SR20DET (sort of broken right now)
1998 Suzuki Escudo (JDM Sidekick Sport) 2.0TD 4x4 (daily driver)
2006 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 3V 4x2 (wife's ride)
2005 & 2006 Targa Newfoundland Entrant
mesojdm

Re: RE: Project: SR20DET 510- JDM goodies!@!

Post by mesojdm »

510rob wrote:bling bling!
banzai510(hainz) wrote:Dude
Your car is going to be awesome& looks like your on your way too it.
its out of my leauge,and what I want to spend on a 510.

Everything is Top Notch, You just threw me off using a tree to pull your motor out!!!!????????????????????????????

I like the powdercoating and he is cheap
Could do some L series front timming covers and motor mounts ect........
small_batch_coatings@yahoo.com
HAAHA ya, my brother was using the cherry picker to take his 440 out of his mopar so I was left with a tree and a chain. :? How we do it in he ghetto:) Yes...I am going for the TOP OF THE LINE parts in every aspect. It was my goal before I even started this project. Its kinda hard tho being only 20 and tryin to afford all the name brand parts.
zuum510 wrote:you mean.... cha-CHING!! those seats are like $1600 EACH (USD)
Yeah, about 1800ea with rails :cry:

I am trying for a magazine car, so no corner can be cut here. I use to have a fully modified 2004 mitsubishi evolution but ran into trouble with the law(emissions) and therorefor went back to my old roots of the SMOGEXEMPT dime.

My first car: 510. Where my love first began:)

Car i sold to fund this money pit of a project;(evo)

Stay tuned as I sohuld get it back form paint soon :D:D:D:D
mesojdm

Post by mesojdm »

RWD_NissanMan wrote:I noticed in reading through your post you are having trouble setting your camshaft timing. It is really quite fool proof - there are different coloured links on the timing chain for this purpose. On some chains they are silver and on some I have seen them yellow for the crank and silver for the cams. Look at your chain to see if you can find the 3 links that have a different coloured front link (the part of the link that faces toward the front of the motor). What you do is put these links on the "dots" stamped in the timing gears next to the tooth that the link goes on. Once you have it on the dots - it is correct, there is only one way it can go on.
thanks, yeah I know that part...but I did not take the timing chain cover off to do the install....When I was manually crannking the motor over THe LOWER Crankshaft GEAR skipped a few teeth. Now...the DOT that was suppose to line up to that is now off, WHich will make the two dots(thatgo to the cam gears) off ALSO. So the only was to make 100% sure would to take the FRONT timing cover off and line up the dots exactly. Since I dont know how to take that cover off I was stuck.
zuum510

Post by zuum510 »

OH, I remember that 510... I remember you had a nice chunk of changed dumped into it too... what happened to that old girl? I think we spoke about something (not sure what anymore, been a few years). You had a KA?? in there??
1971 510 Wagon
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

Ah yes, the ghetto! Sounds/looks nice, I'm green.
I'm your huckleberry.
GREG510

Post by GREG510 »

Mesojdm,looks like you will be having a nice ride when all is done.Is that a Lambo in the corner of your garage???
Attachments
P1010004.jpg
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Damn the car, what are the bikes you have? Good look'n wheels there.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
mesojdm

Post by mesojdm »

zuum510 wrote:OH, I remember that 510... I remember you had a nice chunk of changed dumped into it too... what happened to that old girl? I think we spoke about something (not sure what anymore, been a few years). You had a KA?? in there??
Hello,
Iam from northern cali and had that dime about.. 3 years ago(maybe more) It had a lz22(some hybrid motor I can barely remember) all done at troy ermish racing in fremont, ca. I had about 7-8 into it.nowhere near what I have in my new one. Sold it to some kid in so-cal. Wasa great car.
GREG510 wrote:Mesojdm,looks like you will be having a nice ride when all is done.Is that a Lambo in the corner of your garage???
thanks, yes you are correct. 04 murcielago to be exact...the family grocery getter. :lol: :lol: We actually just sold it and are looking into the new lp640 murci. yummy

My family is reallly into cars, if you couldnt tell :)
zootowndime

Post by zootowndime »

Yeah looks like you also got a 350z. Did you steel the vents from it? That car is definatly going to be off the charts, looks EXCELLENT. Glad to see that you are doing that high class work yourself. You should take the old lady you bought it from a ride in it when you are done. Or not, that would be funny though. Imagine what she would think. Can't wait to see it in a mag. Definatly can see that happening.
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

Holy crap!!!! Man I wish my 510 project didn't have to be a budget build................ :x Killer choice of parts, and I commend you on the details so far! 8)
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!