My '72 Datsun 510

View and post your 510 project(s)
mpdcop

My '72 Datsun 510

Post by mpdcop »

Well guys, this is my 1972 510. I have taken everything out of it now. I hope that everything goes back into it the same way I it took it out. I am going to try to use most of the original parts...but blast and powder coat some, i.e., suspension and some others. I am taking it to the blaster next week or the one after. Then it will go to the body shop. I did not have access to a camera until now. I do not have photos of it when it was together. I also have some pics of bad rust/holes spots. Let me know what you think! Here are some pics:

suspension is out of it now...and rear glass!

These two spots are the worst so far...this is on the driver door frame next to where the front fender goes.

After body work is somewhat done. The the floor boards, bottom of car, engine compartment, and trund compartment will be coated with undercoating...the body shop guy says that it is the same stuff that goes on the new BMW's and Porshe's...says its good stuff. Im not sure. If anyone has anything information on this, please let me know. Or if there is something better out there!!!

After that, I will get all the suspension and other misc. parts powder coated. Hope that doesnt cost more than $500, then it will be put back together!!!!

For the engine, I am going to put the L18 that came in it back in...Im not an engine guy so, I had someone take it out...they will replace all the seals and make sure it will run good, and back in it goes. It ran good before I took it out so, I think it will be fine.

Just to let ya know, This is my first rebuild of any kind. I have never done anything but change oil on a car/truck before...it should be fun. If anyone has any ideas please feel free to let me know!!!

thanks
Gensaiken1

RE: My

Post by Gensaiken1 »

dude, what is up with that color? It looks so crazy contrasted with any other color. Looks very unreal.

It has this faux feeling about it. Hard to explain. Almost like an illusion. That top picture looks like it has been over corrected in photoshop or something.

Anyways,
What color will you be painting it?
1971 2dr Datsun 510 - L20b, 219 SSS Head, Roundtop SU's
mpdcop

Post by mpdcop »

I suck at photoshop, it is the color of the car, prob just the way the light hits it. I plan to paint it a flat black (PRIMER) for the meantime, while body work is completed. I'll keep it that way for a bit, utill I can afford the paint job I want. Here is a pic of the paint job:

This is not my car...I found this on the internet. I hope I dont make anyone mad by posting this. I like the color, I would like the green color alittle darker on mine. I plan to have some of the suspension/engine in the same color green, to match. Thats what will be sent out to powder coat.
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

That guy lives near me...nice car, they painted it in 3 days! A thrash to get it done for shasta.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
mpdcop

Post by mpdcop »

Well the body of the car has been blasted...it has quite-a-bit of rust!!!! It is sitting at the body shop right now. Work will begin on Monday or Tuesday...hopefully! I cannot believe how much it is going to cost me to get all the holes/rust taken care of, $5,000.00!! That is a lot of money.

The trunk, engine compartment, underbody, floorboard/firewall will all be sprayed with bed liner. 1/8" thick. rest will be painted flat black for now, until I can save more money to pay for good paint job. I have decided not to powdercoat all the suspension parts. I need alittle help with paint technique??? If anyone could explain how to paint it and what product to you that would be great!!!

I will get some photos up in a few days.
mesojdm

Post by mesojdm »

what body shop is doing the work?
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Shit I just fixed a lot of rust on my car, I can see why they would want 5k it takes a long time to get it dialed in. That 2 town 4 door is Hillbilly hectorys employes I got one of his T-shirts at shasta where that photo was taken.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
thisismatt
Supporter

Re: RE: My

Post by thisismatt »

icehouse wrote:Shit I just fixed a lot of rust on my car, I can see why they would want 5k it takes a long time to get it dialed in. That 2 town 4 door is Hillbilly hectorys employes I got one of his T-shirts at shasta where that photo was taken.
Yeah, it's an effing headache doing it yourself without the tools a real metal shop has...
icehouse

RE: Re: RE: My

Post by icehouse »

I'm a Tin bender by trade so I got the skills, its just time consuming before you realize it the days over and you still have 4 or 5 spots that need attention.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
Yellowcar

Post by Yellowcar »

Tell me about it.... Weld, and weld, and weld and it still doesn't look like you did anything
mpdcop

Post by mpdcop »

Mesojdm, Hamptons Auto Body in Hugston...Modesto, Ca area!! Seems like he does good work, nice hot rods at his place...just expensive as hell. O well, it needs to be done!
caesarDX

Re: RE: My

Post by caesarDX »

mpdcop wrote:Well the body of the car has been blasted...it has quite-a-bit of rust!!!! It is sitting at the body shop right now. Work will begin on Monday or Tuesday...hopefully! I cannot believe how much it is going to cost me to get all the holes/rust taken care of, $5,000.00!! That is a lot of money.

The trunk, engine compartment, underbody, floorboard/firewall will all be sprayed with bed liner. 1/8" thick. rest will be painted flat black for now, until I can save more money to pay for good paint job. I have decided not to powdercoat all the suspension parts. I need alittle help with paint technique??? If anyone could explain how to paint it and what product to you that would be great!!!

I will get some photos up in a few days.
Don't mean to rain on your parade but for $5000 couldn't you find a better
running shell? Unless you have some emotional attachment to this car
the numbers don't seem to add up. But then again if you want a really
challenge it's your perogative. :D
1984 Renault R5 Turbo2 - L' Enfant Terrible
1989 BMW E30 M3 "God's Chariot"
2001 Renault Clio V6 Sport Phase 1
1999 Nissan Skyline R34 GTR V-Spec
mpdcop

Post by mpdcop »

CaesarDX, I would not agree with you more...but I have already spent the money for the car, tore it all apart, spent the money on the blasting, and now it is at the body shop...somewhat already, up shit creak without a paddle. Therefore, I'll just pay it and complain about it and hopefully it will turn out good!! My first restoration so...this is a learning experience.
dcuplover

Post by dcuplover »

keep the wallet out then because you have some more to learn in the near future i bet.....good luck!
mpdcop

Post by mpdcop »

:arrow: Here is an update on the car...blasted and at the body shop...costing me $$$$ :( :(