Hidden wiper motor

View and post your 510 project(s)
S15DET
Supporter

Hidden wiper motor

Post by S15DET »

In an effort to clean up the engine compartment, I decided to relocate the wiper motor. I mounted it on the firewall, inside the passenger compartment, right behind the glove box. It's just under the defroster duct, and should be fairly easy to service if need be. I had to shorten the linkage slightly, and adjust the rest position, but everything now works just as it should. The old holes for the wiper motor will now be filled and painted.
Sorry for the bad pictures, best I could do with a camera phone. My digital camera is actually LOST??!!!
Attachments
Rain shield to prevent water from hitting directly on the rubber seal.  This will be under the cowl vent, and painted body colored so it will be less visible.
Rain shield to prevent water from hitting directly on the rubber seal. This will be under the cowl vent, and painted body colored so it will be less visible.
View from outside with cowl vent removed, passenger side.
View from outside with cowl vent removed, passenger side.
View from inside, dash and glove box removed.  You can see that it's sitting just under the defroster vent.
View from inside, dash and glove box removed. You can see that it's sitting just under the defroster vent.
duke
Supporter

RE: Hidden wiper motor

Post by duke »

Really nice, good idea. I've never really thought of relocating it. I've seen a bunch of people simply remove it, but this just isn't an option for me. I like this idea...I might just have to steal it.

Oh yeah, and I want to see some more pictures of your car. From the stuff that you have posted here, you have made some really cool, well though out mods, and I'd like to see more of it!
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
GREG510

Post by GREG510 »

Thats a great idea!!!
mesojdm

Post by mesojdm »

good idea! although Im gonna pass on the visegrip wipers...i dont think it will get the water off as good :lol:
slodat

Post by slodat »

S15DET, thanks a ton for sharing the idea. I have the wipers apart in my car right now, and will be doing this very soon in my wiring/engine bay clean up.

Damn that's a good idea!

Which side did you drill the mounting holes and larger hole for the motor shaft from? I'm thinking about getting into this tonight!
'70 510 2 door
chopped '69 521
slodat

Post by slodat »

I just started this project since the last post. I have the wiper motor mounted. That was pretty easy. The hole the motor arm goes through in the stock location is 2". The biggest step drill I have is 1 3/8", so that's how big the hole is currently. I need to enlarge this hole and then shorten the arm. This is such a slick idea! Thanks S15DET!
'70 510 2 door
chopped '69 521
zootowndime

Post by zootowndime »

That really will cleans things up nicely! Great idea s15det.
Alex King
www.brewedmotors.com
Gensaiken1

Post by Gensaiken1 »

cool idea. Might have to steal that if I get enough money to paint my engine bay up nice. :D
1971 2dr Datsun 510 - L20b, 219 SSS Head, Roundtop SU's
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

i think a lot of people will be stealing this plan.
*yoink*
there's another - me.
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Cudo's S15DET, what made you come up with the idea?
I mean we all like a clean engine bay, kinda wish I'd thought of this when I built the Bronze.
Very slick, good job. You need to put your name on this mod if you were the first!
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

Wow, thanks for all of the kind words. This makes it the best 5-10 day ever, the day I get to name my first mod. I'll have to think about that one, maybe I can get brownie points by naming it after my wife, that'd be even better than the international star registery, maybe not? Anyway, once I found a nice flat space on the inside of the firewall, I used a hydraulic hole punch to make the large opening for the wiper arm, a hole saw would have worked too. Vise grips, he he. That was my attempt at a more impressive visual when I showed my father-in-law that is actually worked. To shorten the linkage, I just carefully measured the needed length, and cut/welded the original one.
When the 5-year-old shares with me where's he's hidden the camera, I'll take better photos.
Yellowcar

Post by Yellowcar »

Wish you would have though of that before I painted my car, I would have stolen the idea too ;-)
from the picture it doesn't look like anything needs to be modded under the dash, is that right?
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

Right. The only unknown is if the back of the glove box will hit the motor, as I haven't installed it yet.
slodat

Post by slodat »

It will hit the motor. This was not a problem for me because I was already planning on modifying the glovebox to clear my wiring panel. I made a panel that is parallel to the floor that goes under the glovebox to hold relays, EFI ECU, ignition module, keyless entry module, etc.
'70 510 2 door
chopped '69 521
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

Well, darn, I guess there's one drawback. I'll have to find a way to shorten the back of the glove box. Actually mine is in such bad shape, I may just make a new one.