New swap-4G63T

View and post your 510 project(s)
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Thats a bleeding nipple. You can certainly cut off the nipple and shorten the threaded bung what you can. It's good to retain as much as able for bleeding the master.
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

defdes wrote:Thats a bleeding nipple. You can certainly cut off the nipple...
LMAO :!: does it still bleed when you cut it off :?:
heirfaus

Post by heirfaus »

I would cut it off. Do they make pipe thread plugs with hex in then that you could tap it for? You could flush mount a plug in there and when bleeding it you just check for air bubbles passed the threads. Though you would likely have to remove the intake to bleed it.
"An intercooler...has never been, nor should ever be, considered icing on the cake. A proper intercooler is more cake."
Corky Bell, Maximum Boost

"one of the little things that add up"
-defdes
jeffball610

Re: New swap-4G63T

Post by jeffball610 »

I just got a bunch of parts this last month and I'm about ready to start putting things together. I got my radiator, intercooler, fuel and brake lines. I'm going to "massage" the tranny tunnel and see if that's enough to get this beast in here. The Toyota R154 trans is pretty heft. I'll also see about tilting the engine slightly to the passenger's side. In the Eclipse, the motor does tilt slightly in this direction, so hopefully this will actually help the motor as well as clear up the space for my intake manifold.

I also got my Synapse wastegate in and this thing is HUGE. I hope I have room for it, as it's pretty tight in the area I need to fit it. I'm also cleaning up the engine bay and welding up some holes I won't be needing. I'll drop some pictures here to see what everyone thinks. I will probably need some input on how to mount my intercooler. Should I put the inlet/oulet pipes up or down? Down would give me room to cut if I needed to, but up would need shorter pipes. Again I'll post some pictures for reference.

I'm also going to get serious about making up some flanges to mount up the CV axles from my R200 rear end. It doesn't seem that involved, and I'm not sure why companies are charging so much for something that seems so simple. I also need to look at my caliper brackets front and rear and replumb the brake hard lines. I don't want 30 year old junk clogging up my calipers. There's lots of stuff to do, and hopefully I'll have the time and money to take care of it before I have to pack up and move to Vegas this summer.
1972 Datsun 510
7-bolt 4G63T, EVO 9 pistons & rods, Garrett GT2971R, "Flipped" Stock Intake Manifold, Toyota R154, Z31 R200 w/ CVs
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

What CV axles? There aren't any stock stateside R200 CV's that will fit due to length, it seems.
I'm your huckleberry.
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

I'm using Z31 units right now.I'll have to shorten them, but that's okay as long as it works. I'm also going to use the Z31 hub flange. I might be able to use the whole stub axle, but I haven't tried to fit it yet, but it seems possible. Then again, I'm sure someone else has looked at this and it may not be possible. We'll see though.
1972 Datsun 510
7-bolt 4G63T, EVO 9 pistons & rods, Garrett GT2971R, "Flipped" Stock Intake Manifold, Toyota R154, Z31 R200 w/ CVs
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

I think what's-his-name used the z31 entire bearing assembly cut off and welded on the Grasshopper. I don't think the stub axle or hub flange will fit the 510 housing/bearings, though, but I could be wrong.
I'm your huckleberry.
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

Yes, someone had suggested just using the entire housing cut and welded in place of the 510 unit. I'll take some pictures and some measurements to see where the issue will be. I'm sure it's probably been tried and I'll do some searching to get a head start on information and any potential issues before I get into spending money and lots of time on this. It's just one issue and I've got lots more before this car will be running and driving anywhere.
1972 Datsun 510
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

Well, I finally go around to assembling my front struts. I was going to run 200SX units I pulled from an 85 4cyl, but the strut inserts that Specialty sent me are about a 1/2" too long. I had a set of ZX units waiting in case there was an issue, and they work fine in them. The threaded collar doesn't go all the way down, but it seems to be secure in the housing. They aren't shortened at all and just needed the stock 510 spring perch for their performance springs. I opted to just go with springs for now and do the coil over when I get the project on the road.

I'm still looking at the 510 and Z31 hubs trying to see what I can do. I'll probably just get a machine shop to make a round flange to weld to the 510 stub shafts and call it good.

The next big step is to mount my engine and tranny together to see if I need to modify the trans tunnel and what else I'll have to move around. It looks like I'll have about 2" between the radiator and engine if I don't put the intercooler in front of the radiator support. The radiator and intercooler measure about 5 3/4" thick together with some space for clearance between them. After I get the engine back in, I'll take some pics and measure more accurately to see where I'm at. Maybe this week I'll get to it and make it look a little more like a car.
1972 Datsun 510
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

CRAP!!!!!

Well, I cut out the front part of the radiator support/facia or whatever to mount my intercooler and I have some clearance issues. I thought that I had found the perfect radiator/intercooler combo being that they fit so well together. The intercooler outlets are just outside the radiator and the radiator is about as tall as you can go and fit under the hood. Well, the intercooler is a bit too thick and causes some issues with running the 3" pipes I was trying to run. I think I can still do it, but I will also need to maybe swap out my intake manifold. I really hate to get rid of the intake since it's such a nice piece, but I might just go with a modified stock intake for clearance reasons.

Also, I wasn't thinking ahead and my coolant hoses will need some rethinking. I was planning to just run it out of the back of the head (stock location) but it would interfere with the cam angle sensor and need to run on top of that nice intake manifold. Not to mention the throttle body location on the intake is right about where the inlet to the radiator is.

I did take some pics and I'll post them on my photobucket account so it doesn't take up space here. I'm sure I could remedy most of these issues by going with custom or high end products, but this is supposed to be a budget minded build. The radiator ran me about $135 and the intercooler was $165. Anyone had experience with some of these issues, please chime in and let me know what solutions you came up with.
1972 Datsun 510
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

Pictures as promised.

1972 Datsun 510
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

SUCCESS! I finally got around to mating up the Toyota R154 and the Mitsubishi 4G63T in the car. It only took minor cutting of the transmission tunnel to clear the shifter. I can almost use the stock 510 transmission crossmember. I will definitely be able to use the stock holes to mount my own transmission crossmember to the car. This thing fits pretty well for being so large. My only concern will be the shifter location. I'll be sitting in the back seat and will need to really reach to shift this thing. A custom shifter should fix that. Hopefully it won't be too ugly.

So how high should my transmission output be? I haven't remounted the rear end (since I'm putting an R200) and don't know how high it needs to be. What driveshaft angle should I look for? I can't lower the engine much more without hitting the crossmember, so where it is is about where it will be. Here's a couple pictures of the fit.

Trimmed to the end of the sound deadening to clear the shifter.
Didn't measure where the output is, but looks pretty close to where it should be.
Clears the tunnel pretty good. I'll get some better pictures when I get a real trans mount done up.
Here's the clearance of the steering linkage. It does hit the bellhousing at full lock, but I don't think it will be an issue. If there is some issues with it, I'll do what the SR guys do and have it bent a little for clearance.
1972 Datsun 510
xlr8r

Post by xlr8r »

Looks like you're getting there. It seems like trying to fit an intercooler in a 510 is one of the biggest challenges out there & you've got that beat. I was trying to figure out where to put an oil cooler & the only place that made sense (besides behind a removed headlight) was in front of the radiator, good thing I'm not boosted.

Anyways, regarding the rear stubs & comp flanges in order to convert to Z31 CV's. You may want to consider having the z31 stubs machined down in diameter so that they will fit into the 510 bearings. That's what I did with some 280z stubs (supposedly the strongest out of the early z cars) that work with the Modern Motorsports billet flanges. The Z31 stubs might be a drastically different length though, making it so they wouldn't work that way. The CV's almost fit, but I am having them shortened in a manner that should handle way more power than I intend to ever put down.
73' 610 Wagon
72 VQ510 - sold
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

I think I might just weld the Z31 hub assembly to the 510 arm. Another member here did that and it seems like a logical move. I just need to make sure it's welded straight and has the proper track width. I'll need to make a jig to get it done, but I shouldn't need to enlist in the help of a machine shop to do it.

The intercooler is not mounted well. I might try to source another size, or notch the front trim piece. I'd rather not do that, but I need to get it further from the engine. Mostly for radiator fans and such. I'm actually making progress. Hopefully I'll get enough done before I have to move this summer.
1972 Datsun 510
Green Bastard

Post by Green Bastard »

Cool project!

I just want to give some words of encouragement.

As a fellow 510 guy with two 4G63 powered Galant VR4s, you are doing what I have thought of, but never done.

I am a bit ashamed at times, after showing my VG33 510 to people, then having to admit that it is nowhere as fast as the beat up 4 door getting rained on in my driveway. :D

Keep it going! 4G63 powa!

I predict you will be trying to fit some more rubber under the rear wheel wells. 8)