New swap-4G63T

View and post your 510 project(s)
okayfine
Supporter

Re: New swap-4G63T

Post by okayfine »

Hey Jeff, my reply wasn't aimed at you. You've continued your project and made progress. My reply was aimed at the three people above who seemingly want to jump on to the 4G63 bandwagon like it's a walk in the park :mrgreen:
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

The engine swap itself is a walk in the park. There's really no special one-off parts needed. But since I'm the first to try and document this in a 510, there are some small unknowns. There are tons of RWD 4G63 swaps out there. Check out Project Zero G forums. There are many well documented and running examples of this swap.

In any case, I hope to have some progress to post this weekend. :D
1972 Datsun 510
7-bolt 4G63T, EVO 9 pistons & rods, Garrett GT2971R, "Flipped" Stock Intake Manifold, Toyota R154, Z31 R200 w/ CVs
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

Byron510 wrote:Besides, didn't someone just reiterated that a 510 is never finished.

Byron
"Art is never finished, only abandoned." Leonardo da Vinci
1972 Datsun 510
7-bolt 4G63T, EVO 9 pistons & rods, Garrett GT2971R, "Flipped" Stock Intake Manifold, Toyota R154, Z31 R200 w/ CVs
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

Holy shit! Has it been that long since I updated this build? Guess I've been posting progress of individual project areas and not on the build as a whole. Well, here's the fuel lines I've been working on:

Specs: 3/8" steel line with -6 AN fittings. Fuel pump is a Z31 unit with -6 AN adaptors on the 8mm stock lines. I have an inline fuel filter you might be able to make out in the last image. Next to it is the unconnected return line. I have an Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator that I'm trying to decide how I want to hook it up. The stock 1G fuel rail has bolt on AN fittings. The return side is on the "front" of the engine and I used hard line to loop into the intake manifold area. I have SS flex lines at each junction.

My advice for anyone doing this, skip the hard lines unless you have the space and patience for bending line. Also, skip the female hard line connectors that are standard and go with Earl's (or similar) hard line adapters. They have the proper male fittings and you don't need to flare the ends of the hard line. Wish I knew this before I started.

Next up is running power to the fuel pump and putting some oil in the motor. If all goes well (as it rarely does) I hope to have it running by 5/10.
1972 Datsun 510
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Just a comment on the fuel lines under the car.. or anywhere else you have long runs...

You should mount those in ADEL clamps, to minimize vibration and chafing of the lines. Don't underestimate the shaking etc, that goes on in these cars. They clamps come in all sizes, are cheap, and just finish things off nicely,
Attachments
ADEL CLAMPS HOLDING BRAIDED LINE AND ELECTRICAL FOR PYROMETERS
ADEL CLAMPS HOLDING BRAIDED LINE AND ELECTRICAL FOR PYROMETERS
IMG_0100.JPG (144.82 KiB) Viewed 6095 times
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (3.97 KiB) Viewed 6095 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

Thanks. I do have some clamps, but have not attached them yet. The brackets I made were more for getting things to stay in place and line up rather than hold them steady. Rubber cushions are definitely going in those areas as well.
1972 Datsun 510
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

Well, I suppose I should update this since it's been 4 years. It's still not on the road, but is very close. I thought it would be up and running last Friday, but all the small parts add up to a whole lot of work. I would say it's now 95 percent complete. Here's some updates to what's gone down.

The R200 and CV axle swap is complete. Other than getting the c-clip side of one axle back on, it was smooth and fits great. Of course, I don't know how it drives yet, but it rolls really well :wink:
I cleaned all of the plastic lenses and replaced all of the bulbs. Nothing fancy, but it looks better. The car literally hasn't been washed in 10 years, and although it's been garaged for all but 5 months of that, they were still pretty nasty.
There was some interference with the clutch slave cylinder, so it was heated and bent out of the way. Sorry, no after pic right now.
I pulled up all of the factory sound deadening and found this small spot of rust. It will need to be patched, but the rest of the floor is still shiny factory paint.
My solution for the cooling pipes. Pretty simple other than the weird double 90 for the lower hose. I'm sure I could use more rubber hosing for adjustability, but I couldn't find the hoses I liked. The metal pipes have a small bracket bolted to the block for stability.
I made this 3" exhaust myself. This is my first try at building one and the first time I tried TIG welding. I think it turned out pretty well and tucks nicely. I'll get some pics of it on the ground this week. Hopefully I'll get to hear what it sounds like soon too.
I also added this orange sway bar. It seems to fit just fine for a motor that no one has ever swapped before.

TONS of other small parts have been finished and it's nearly road worthy. I need to fix one part of the brake line and bleed the brakes. I'm also double checking my wiring before I try to turn the key. I'm sure lots of other small issues will pop up, but my "to do" list is very short. I hope to get it on the road soon and meet some of you and the MANY miles I will put on this. I'll keep track with my super cool GPS speedo from Speed Hut gauges.
1972 Datsun 510
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Thanks for keeping us updated on the project. Yours is a unique machine, and I like your work.

Keep the reports coming. It'd been so long that I thought this was another shelved project. Good to see worthy progress.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Looking good!

Make sure you seal up around the radiator, might as well make it do it's job considering the heat you will put in the system.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

bertvorgon: I tried to make a radiator shroud (you can see my attempt in the pics), but space limitations eliminated it. I have a high suspicion that this will not be able to cool the motor very well. I think it's only 1.5" thick. I haven't fit an oil cooler yet since there isn't much space for an air cooled unit (they came stock with a coolant style). The intercooler I have seems nice, but it's WAY too big. It's a 3" thick unit and takes up the whole front. This will likely be one of the first changes I make. But I need to get it on the road first and see how bad it is.

Byron510: It's far from dead. I was hoping to have it on the road last Friday, but things didn't pan out. My next goal is in the next 2 weeks.

Anyone have tips for sealing banjo fittings? My Z31 brake lines are leaking, so I can't properly bleed the brakes. I annealed a new pair after they didn't seal, but it didn't seem to help. I'm thinking it might be my eBay braided lines I have on there. I'm going to try a thicker set of copper washers and anneal them to see if I can get it to seal properly.
1972 Datsun 510
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

hey Jeff,
Specifically I meant put some foam or something between the edges of the radiator and the radiator opening. That will at least make the air go through the rad and not spill around the edges. You have the inter-cooler, fair enough, but, it to will divert some air. So, you want to make sure that as the front of the car has air pile up in front of it, that at least it will be forced through the radiator and not spill around the side, and I can guarantee you from all our race car programs, that will be the case. It looks like you have a good 1/2 " there, so it would not take much to fill it in.

I know I talked about the OUTER radiator shroud, but in your case I did just mean seal up around the radiator edges.

Should be a rocket!

Keith Law
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

1972 Datsun 510
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

jeffball610 wrote:It lives!!!
Congrats!
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

It's been a long time since I updated this thread. Most of my updates have happened over on Ratsun.net, but I'm bad about updating. I'd rather be working and fixing things.

Updates include a working and driving car! I've put almost 2.5 miles on it going up and down the street. I'm getting a speed density upgrade for fuel management this week, as the MAF setup doesn't like how I have it routed.

Right now I'm getting "safety" items installed so that I can pass a local inspection and get it certified for road use so I can then get it registered. Yesterday was the install of some cheap Taiwan "521" mirrors. I hate the white trim and I can't angle the passenger side mirror enough to actually see out of it, but they'll work for now. They're the best looking mirrors I could find for a decent price.

Other recent updates include a Civic center console, functioning e-brake, Marlin Crawler R154 shifter bushings, and a GM 90 amp alternator. I'm waiting on some second hand windshield wiper assemblies to round out the safety items and some hood struts for ease of use. The plan is to have it on the road and registered for its public debut at the weekly local Saturday morning car meet on April 8th.
1972 Datsun 510
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

I've been busy and not updating this thread. Busy DRIVING!!! #4G63510 is road legal and terrorizing the streets of Las Vegas. Well, driving 45mph isn't exactly a terror, but I've got about 85 miles on it since last Tuesday. I'm attempting to smog it tomorrow (when I get a replacement bolt for my downpipe) and an appointment on Tuesday to get registration fully complete. (almost waited until 5/10 to do it, but why wait) I was going to register it as a Classic, but the DMV worker didn't know what they were doing and skipped that part. I do have a custom plate coming for it though (assuming it passes smog)

Still lots to do to make it completely daily drivable, but it runs decent. I even spent about an hour in stop and go traffic on Friday in 90 degree heat without too much of an issue. Had to pick up a part for my 350Z and had a chance to confuse some sales people who thought they knew things about cars when I pulled up in this amalgamation :P

I'll try to get some more pics out in the wild and hopefully some street pulls when it runs a little better and I've broken in the clutch.
1972 Datsun 510