R200 conversion

View and post your 510 project(s)
turbo510sss

R200 conversion

Post by turbo510sss » 18 Jan 2004 15:57

I was wondering if you have to modify your mustache bar for the 510 I saw one for sale at vg30.com for about 75 bucks http://www.vg30.com/510parts.html. I also was wondering is it hard to modify mine or would it be easyer to just buy the one form them?
Has anyone done this conversion and if so can they please show pics of it please I need help in staring this conversion.

GrandMasterGoat

Post by GrandMasterGoat » 18 Jan 2004 16:15

personally i would not go with anything form vg30.com again!!!

personal opinion
i do think that quicktor ?sp? sells really good m-bars as well. tlak to spencer on that i believe he has delat with them before

dynobones

Post by dynobones » 18 Jan 2004 16:26

hey billy, check out http://www.ratdat.com they show what needs to be done.
I'm smiling because I have no idea what is going on.

turbo510sss

Post by turbo510sss » 19 Jan 2004 01:33

Yea I have looked into them before but I was wondering if anyone has odne it and if it is hardor not? Thanks fo rthe info Billy

RWD_NissanMan
Supporter

Post by RWD_NissanMan » 11 Feb 2004 08:53

Just saw this post. I've done this conversion on my 1973 PL510 4-door. I can send you pics if you want to see how it looks.

Used the R200 clutch-type LSD from the 1988-89 300ZX Turbo (Z31) as well as the real beefy CV shafts that were used in these cars. I have heard this setup is good up to about 500 RWHP (adequate for a V8 conversion).

1. We cut the old bearing carriers (and backing plate flanges) out and welded in the 300ZX bearing carriers. This allowed us to use the rear disc brake setup from the same car. Reasons for this is that there are then 3 options you can go to - non-ventilated 4 bolt discs, non-ventilated 5 bolt discs or the wider 5-bolt vented rotor/caliper setup. Getting competiton pads is then easy because they are the same as the 240SX, 300ZX, etc.

2. Widened the track about 2" by reloacating the pickups for the rear control arms. Also incoporporated the slotted camber/caster adjustment approach at the same time (similar to the Australian Datsport setup).

3. Machined up some adapters to allow for bolt-up of the CV shafts at the outer ends to the rear spindles (the 300ZX ones were too wide).

4. Changed the rear pinion flange U-joint on the driveshaft to mate up to the larger pinion flange bolt spacing as on the 300ZX (used a Skyline R32 rear section).

5. Fabricated a new moustache bar in the correct size using Suspension Techniques poly bushings.

6. Whiteline rear adjustable sway bar.

turbo510sss

Post by turbo510sss » 11 Feb 2004 13:24

Hey yea if you have pics of the swap please sned them to me I would realy like ot se how everyting is fited in a car before I do it. Thanks alot man now I can see what I am getting into. I was alos wondering does anyone know how much horpower a r180 can handle i know it will belight than the r200 but don't know the hp rating on them. Thanks Billy.

RWD_NissanMan
Supporter

Post by RWD_NissanMan » 12 Feb 2004 04:44

I'll get some pics up in the gallery in a few days (as soon as I figure out how to do it). Stand by....

pokey

Post by pokey » 12 Feb 2004 09:15

RWD, that moustache bar is purrrrdy. Did you really make it 2 years ago? Sounds like this project has been coming along for a while...

How does widening the track work with the fenders? Any reason you didn't lengthen the control arms?

Oh, and what happened to the steering box? I hear that is the way to go with the SRs so you don't need a custom header which can run thousands of dollars.
I'm not just a normal nerd. I've specialized.
I'm a "Car Nerd"

RWD_NissanMan
Supporter

Post by RWD_NissanMan » 12 Feb 2004 09:59

The photo in the gallery is just a reference to compare the differences between the R180 moustache bar (as used in the 240Z) and the R200 moustache bar from the 280Z (I think). I haven't posted a photo of the one my son & I fabricated for the 510 since it is already bolted up in the car. It is a bit narrower than the one you see in the Gallery. Check back tomorrow, I'll take a pic of the whole rear end tonite and post it.

Widening the rear track requires flaring the fenders and modifying the inner fender. I have not decided on rubber yet - but I'm leaning toward using a 225/50R15. Didn't really think about lengthening the control arms. We just replaced the two pivots and the bearing housing with the ones from the 300ZX (Z31). We fabricated new slotted mounts for the pivots (for camber & toe adjustability) and welded them to the cross-member out toward the ends as far as we could get them. It puts the lower mount for the rear springs out a bit so the spring is on an angle - eventually I will probably change it to a coil over setup.

The stock steering box, idler and cross link were tossed and I am replacing it with a manual rack from the RHD 240Z (attached solidly to the front cross member to eliminate mushiness). You need to use the RHD one because the 240Z rack is mounted in front of the crossmember - puts the pinion on the wrong side of the rack!! (don't ask how we figured this out - subject of a good story over a beer or two). This was so I could retain the stock SR20DET turbo mounting location, exhaust manifold and plumbing. Everyone else seems to have moved the turbo up high on a custom built manifold but this looked to me like such a lot more work than just adapting the steering to an R&P setup. Also, using a TMIC, the intercooler would be way too close to the turbo (heatsoak). We built our own header (downpipe) - there's a representative photo of it in the gallery.

RWD_NissanMan
Supporter

Post by RWD_NissanMan » 16 Feb 2004 12:51

Here's a photo of what the R200 LSD looks like when bolted up to the 510 cross member. I had to fabricate the moustache bar and put a slight notch in the stiffener rail that passes in front of the spare tire well to get enough clearance for the rear diff. bolts.
Attachments
Rear Sway Bar Setup.JPG
R200 LSD conversion on the PL510