My NEW 72 2 door project

View and post your 510 project(s)
pete240z

Re: My NEW 72 2 door project

Post by pete240z »

yenpit wrote:The color is simply late 60's-early 70's Chevy Hugger Orange. The stock orange was a l'il too "light" for my taste, and man this Hugger Orange is bright!
you asked me about colors, and i do like the chevy orange.

I assume you have seen the April, 2007 Grassroots Motorsports Datsun 510? Orange

And the first two issues of Japanese Nostaligic Magazine? That 510 is hugger orange.

Somebody bought that paint by the drum.
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

I did see the Japanese Nostalgic car........even the color on the Celica looked sweet!
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
old510nav

Post by old510nav »

Hey yenpit this is that OLDER GUY. Greetings from ocala Stay warm
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

Mr Palmer, I presume!! Good to finally see you on the forum............now where is your PROJECT thread!!??? Crap, I've gotta post some more pics of my progress..........been a while :roll: .

Here's a teaser for old510nav's car............
Attachments
IM006196.JPG
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
old510nav

Post by old510nav »

Hey TJ,

as soon as I figure out how to put pictures on the forum I will start a thread. Bought a 79ZX parts car (sans engine) down here for the 5sp, front struts, rear discs, e brake, master cyl. Hope to sell the rest of the car before sending it to the crusher. BTW the crusher is right across the street from my stoage building. Convenient.
You guys get me fired up every time i come on here. Bad Bad. I came down here to thaw out and ran in to 3 19-20 degee nights. Burr! M y neigbors wont come out if the temp is below 70.
Press On
pete240z

Post by pete240z »

I was just up in Holland, Michigan yesterday and was surprised at all the snow still on the ground. So plan on staying in Florida a little longer.

Since Hope College tuition is going to be a small fortune for my son and I; I am putting my Datsun 510 plans on hold and will just collect cheap Datsun parts. What am I going to do with a 280Z engine block?
old510nav

Post by old510nav »

Hello Pete,

I have another 79zx at home in mich. Let me know what you need and when I get home maybe we can do some horse trading. Your user name being pete240 tells me you are or were a Z guy. True? How far do you live from Holland?

Press On Terry
pete240z

Post by pete240z »

I live near Joliet, Illinois. It is 160 miles to Hope College in Holland, Michigan.

I have owned a '66 1600 roadster, '68 2000 roadster, '71 240Z, '85 200SX, and sadly to say an '80 Datsun 310GX (son of Datsun F10 :shock: ) (And drove my Dad's 210 a lot and sisters Sentra, my other sister had a Maxima 5-speed, maybe 1985 or 1986?)

All I have are parts in the garage and basement. If I die soon, somebody will carry out a Datsun 5-speed manual trans scratching their head????? Why did he have this? I hope to meet up in the spring/summer with yenpit and now yourself.
old510nav

Post by old510nav »

I am a former Datsun/Nissan master tech from the 70's. I owned too many Datsuns to count and have navigated in Many 510's but begining with a 410 in 67 I think. I used to have about 6 cars and had to sell everything following an aortic valve replacemeng and triple bypass in Feb 04. I always hope I would be able to aford and another 510 or 2 before they are all gone. And thanks to meeting TJ at a long time friends memorial I have a new lease on a 510 life again. He has saved me from obscurity.
We will definitely get together this summer.

Press On, Terry
ace0073

Post by ace0073 »

WOW, the project looks great. Any updates?? Everytime I read a story like this, it makes me realize that I am not crazy. These projects just grow and grow and grow. First Im just going to put bigger brakes, then I end up doing full brakes, coilovers, strut inserts, adjustable TC rods.....does it ever end?? Keep up the good work and stop holding out on the progress pics :wink: Some of us live for this stuff!!

...I think Ive just been motivated to start a project thread!!
Image <--------COMING SOON...to a street near you!!

"Life Is One Continuous Adjustment to Change"
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

Thanks for the compliments, and YES you need to start a PROJECTS thread on yours!

Well, here is partly why there has been a delay in progress. When I delivered the shell to the painter, he did the right thing by primering the bare metal engine compartment etc etc right away, THEN proceeding with the body work. Once home after paint, I needed to do some more work, and masked off areas of the front clip. Upon peeling the masking tape, it pulled up paint in a few spots. I was so pissed off & disgusted, that I left it for 10+++ days before even calling the painter!

Long story short, he came to my house 3 weeks ago (2+ hour round trip) to inspect it, and IMMEDIATELY stepped up and admitted that he screwed up........he's a good guy. After doing some research, he realized that the primer that they used on the engine compartment was a NEW primer for them, suggested by their paint supplier, for bare metal. I'm NOT a painter, but he explained that this particular primer is suppossed to be painted over with color very quickly........once tacky. He called it "wet primer". If the painter does not lay paint soon after, then that particular primer needs a heavy scuffing before the paint is laid down, and they simply did NOT do that. He told me that it will be my decision whether to have the "peeled" panels re-painted AFTER I get the car on the road, OR to have him come pick the car up, strip and re-paint the whole engine compartment, and bring it back to me. He assures me that they used their "normal" method of primer & paint on the rest of the car (again, the engine compartment was bare metal, the majority of the rest of the car was not), but he would stand behind his work regardless.

One of the other delays (aside from February being freakin' cold as hell here in Michigan!!!), was slicing my right hand index/fore finger wide open at the junkyard, the day after the painter came to the house. It req'd 6 stitches at the urgent care hospital, and put a stop to doing ANYTHING that required the use of that finger, which is just about everything! Stitches were taken out this week, and after a l'il more healing up, I should be back to business. Now I just gotta make some money in this horrific economy to buy some more parts, to get this freakin' project rollin' again!!
Attachments
rad core support paint peeling #1
rad core support paint peeling #1
rad core support paint peeling #2
rad core support paint peeling #2
right front valence paint peeling
right front valence paint peeling
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
pete240z

Post by pete240z »

i bet your stomach turned when that happened............well at least we have warm weather and lighter evenings to do garage stuff
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

WOW, man, I was worried when I started putting that tape all over everything to keep from scratching things up....I always still removed it very carefully just in case....but i didn't have a problem. Maybe the temp there had something to do with it too during the paint process?? It's really cool that the guy is going to fix it...what did the entire paint process cost you?......and were you wearing gloves when you split your hand?? :mrgreen:
NICKLE&DIME

Post by NICKLE&DIME »

I was going to suggest the same thing being very cold there. I almost puked when I bought my first dime and saw how much rust it had.....I was heated and almost gave up. But I don't. So that is great that he stands behind his work.
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

His explanation is legitimate for certain paints. You could always apply some tape and/or hard finger rubbing elsewhere and see what happens.
I'm your huckleberry.