My NEW 72 2 door project

View and post your 510 project(s)
qwik510
Supporter

Re: My NEW 72 2 door project

Post by qwik510 »

Wow that really sucks. I hope you are healing nicely. Sucks about the paint too. Good to hear the painter will make it right. If it was me, I would have him strip the entire engine compartment again and fix it right. Otherwise, you will be having issues later with more paint peeling and it will never be right. I know that this will delay your project but with the quality of the build you have planned, it deserves a good coat of paint that will adhere for many years to come.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

Yup, the temp also makes a difference when painting, but he assured me that things were up to temp. The plan is to stick & peel duct tape (unless anyone has any other suggestions???) all over the engine compartment, to see if any more paint comes up. I have been putting that off all weekend, but I just gotta bite the bullet and do it! If it does, then he will re-paint it. And yes qwik510, I am also considering asking him to do it anyway. I posed that scenario of paint peeling in 6 months or a year, and he understood. Stitches are out, finger is still a l'il sore, but I've got a hell of a battle scar!

goichi1, I had on a cheap pair of "Jersey gloves", simply to keep my hands warm while I wandered thru the yard with the wheelbarrow & toolbox. I was navigating around some brake drums that some moron had left in the aisleway, and "brushed up" against the front end of a Volvo with my hand (on the wheelbarrow handle), and it had a busted up headlamp. I stopped, looked at my glove, saw a small hole, said "uhh ohhh!", pulled the glove off and quickly realized that I was in trouble! Some guy saw me standing there with a crazed look on my face and asked if he could help, so he brought my tools back to the building for me, where one of the counter guys "butterflied" it with bandaids so I could drive to the ER. That was a wasted $2.00 entry fee............oh yeah, and the $199.00 ER bill! At least the nurses were cute :D !!
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

yea, I try to wear gloves anytime I do anything on my car or parts there of....there have been many many times I could have been injured pretty bad had I not had on gloves.....but those "mechanics" gloves don't do too well when welding though :shock: ..... I had probably 10 pairs of those gloves in my garage, I would just throw them in a 5 gallon bucket of dish soap and water, let them soak overnight and then wash them a bit.....used most of them till the fingers were all gone!! I know how those freak accidents can happen!! I try not to even pick parts up without gloves on....it really sucks to get finger cuts or injuries....can't do much of anything till they heal up.
five&dime

Post by five&dime »

Sounds like you have a very honest painter there!!! Very cool that he is stepping up. I would definitely go ahead and get it taken care of now.
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

Your painter in a word, Great!!! because stripping and repainting is time and $$$ out of his pocket. I doubt temp had anything to do with the peeling. His shop I'm sure is heated as well as the paint booth. Being a painter I'm sure he's aware of temperature correct reducers. Sounds like he used an epoxy primer which when fully dried has a slick surface, this is why it needs to be scuffed so the top coat has something to stick to. Other than that, glad the wound is healed and your back to wrenching. But you know that your going to bang that wound right? never fails. But then it's a project 510 and It's worth it!!!
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
pete240z

Post by pete240z »

hey yenpit, I have a question off thread........

there is a guy in Chicago who has a 1978 200SX that he claims he rebuilt the 2.0 liter engine. the entire sorry package can be had for $200. It looks to me like the balance of the 200SX has no value.

besides the 2.0 liter, is there any value to the rest? solid axle? 5-speed? struts? brakes? If I bought it, I would be stockpiling an engine for a future car, which may sit here forever........
CorAce

Post by CorAce »

Great project! I just read the whole thread and its funny that it’s been over two years since you got it. To go from a mild build up to a complete resto is a big jump. You have to be dying to get it all back together. I know how these things go, the more I dig into mine the more I want to take it all apart and redo it. Unfortunately time, money and the paiceants of my beautiful loving wife :D wont last that long. Consider your self lucky.

P.S. that color is sweet!!
car more gooder then book
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

Argh!! You made me go back to see when I started this thread :shock: !! Nah, it's only been a year + 3 mo's since I got this car, but I had a hard time justifying "just getting it on the road", after a few months. Do I regret taking it this far? Right now, yeah a little, cuz as so many of the guys have said ".......you gotta drive 'em!", and I know exactly what they mean. BUT, if I can get me arse in gear, I know that in the end I will be happy that I did!
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

I just went back for a "project review" too. Looks good, you are close. A month of weekends and you could take it for a subdued test drive? What's your E.T.C.?
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

E.T.C.......?? Ugh. It was a long broke winter, so I didn't get much of anything done so far this year. This recession sucks :x . I finally just purchased my brake tubing to re-plumb all of the brake lines under the car. It's powdercoated, so I'll see how the stuff works out. The company claims that the powdercoat will not crack or split when bent.
Attachments
IM006407.JPG
IM006408.JPG
Last edited by yenpit on 23 May 2009 08:38, edited 1 time in total.
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

I've also been collecting more parts..............
Attachments
NOS Amco rubber floor mats
NOS Amco rubber floor mats
...........DATSUN!
...........DATSUN!
NOS aluminum sill/threshold plates
NOS aluminum sill/threshold plates
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

Some more.............
Attachments
NOS front fender mounting rubber (on inner top fender lip)
NOS front fender mounting rubber (on inner top fender lip)
NOS front & rear glass seals and NOS felt run channel for the doors
NOS front & rear glass seals and NOS felt run channel for the doors
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

I've choosen my door mirrors! The kit comes with a black plastic angled "spacer" to get the correct placement on the door, for a good visual angle once mounted. I haven't actually mounted them yet, but it looks like they will work perfectly!
Attachments
IM006303.JPG
IM006304.JPG
Last edited by yenpit on 24 Jan 2012 15:19, edited 1 time in total.
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

And more re-plating.............
Attachments
IM006315.JPG
IM006318.JPG
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Nice progress.
I love all the re-plated bits - very jealous :D

Can you do me a favor? If you have a caliper, can you measure the thickness of the fender mounting flange rubber thickness, as I will be confronted with this very piece soon on the L13 car, as I will be replacing the LH front fender. I'm not sure I'll be able to find the NOS bits, so I may have to make this gasket.

The mirrors look like a very good substitute for the late style 510 mirrors; more chrome is always nice!

Looking forward tot he updates.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.