The SSE (Super Sport Estate) Project

View and post your 510 project(s)
HudsonMC

Re: The SSE (Super Sport Estate) Project

Post by HudsonMC »

510wizard wrote:Basically the shaper came before the mill, history wise and can do the same work. A mill can remove more material faster, which is why the shaper fell out of favor. But, a shaper can do internal keyways and gears and splines (internal & external) that a mill can't do. I like to just watch the thing run, it's all mechanical, gears, levers and such, perfect for a gearhead!
oh nice. If you can cut your own splines, I bet that opens up a whole bunch of steering and axle possibilities for you. You have any projects in mind?
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

I have to say, I saw that machine in person, it's a beautiful piece of machinery, and to see it run is really cool. Once you meet Monte see the detail and restoration on this machine and the rest of his projects it will all make sense....detail, craftsmanship and simplistic elegance....there is no stone left unturned, very high standards in the 510wizard's workshop.
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

That is a beautiful machine. The egg shell color is by far better then the classic Atlas green or grey.

The detail Monte puts into his projects is the reason I keep coming back to look. Top notch stuff Monte.

Matt D.
An Idea doesn't work unless you do.
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

HudsonMC wrote:
510wizard wrote:Basically the shaper came before the mill, history wise and can do the same work. A mill can remove more material faster, which is why the shaper fell out of favor. But, a shaper can do internal keyways and gears and splines (internal & external) that a mill can't do. I like to just watch the thing run, it's all mechanical, gears, levers and such, perfect for a gearhead!
oh nice. If you can cut your own splines, I bet that opens up a whole bunch of steering and axle possibilities for you. You have any projects in mind?
Maybe the splines for the new axles, we'll see.
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

goichi1 wrote:I have to say, I saw that machine in person, it's a beautiful piece of machinery, and to see it run is really cool. Once you meet Monte see the detail and restoration on this machine and the rest of his projects it will all make sense....detail, craftsmanship and simplistic elegance....there is no stone left unturned, very high standards in the 510wizard's workshop.
Thanks for the complaint. When things aren't right, it just really bugs me, it's a curse. Rich, you get more things done, then I will ever do! You amaze me on the amount of completed projects.
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

Mattndew76 wrote:That is a beautiful machine. The egg shell color is by far better then the classic Atlas green or grey.

The detail Monte puts into his projects is the reason I keep coming back to look. Top notch stuff Monte.

Matt D.
Thanks! Some machinist's probably wouldn't have picked the color for a machine tool, (hard to keep clean). But, I like it and it's different from the norm.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I laid my hands on a shaper before I ever got to use a mill. Want an even scarier machine - try a metal plainer - It's a similar idea, only the work moves under a tool fixed overhead on a gantry style bridge... these machines make men of boys! That plainer I used scared the hell out of me. The power it had was unbelievable. The shaper is also impressive. But I've never seen a dividing head bolted onto a shaper, that would be fun to try :D

Monty – ever used a gear hob? Now that’s a machine you’d like if you like exposed gear whirring around.

I like the white for the same reason you do Monte – nice job.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

Yea, the planers were used to make the ways on lathes ;

Never used a gear hob, but have seen videos. Machine tools are cool!
510rob

Post by 510rob »

If you like mechanical mechanisms, check out the Babbage Difference Engine

http://www.computerhistory.org/babbage/
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

Spent some time on the SSE, took the WRX front diff support member and did some slicing and dicing.

Shortened it to match the wagon front spring perch area,

Bead blasted the area around the cut, fixtured and tack together.

Made some mounting plates. There will be a hole in the center of these plates to accept some bolts to hold the end of the crossmember.

Area where the plates will go.
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

Since Summit was having a 10% off during Hot August Nights, decided to order some coil overs.

QA-1 small body coil overs with 280lb Eibach 1.880 ID springs. These are rebuildable and also the valving can be changed to what ever I need. I ordered them with #3 rebound and compression.
Playing with the upper mounting location.

Might have to do a little modifying for the top mount/upper crossmember to get the right ride height, will see. There just isn't a lot of room under there, with the axle, upper "A" arm and upper crossmember. Lots of stuff in a small area. I am shooting for the lower "A" arm to be parallel to the ground at ride height. I really should talk to some Miata racers to see where the "A" arm should be, angle wise, since this would be the perfect time.
Last edited by 510wizard on 21 Aug 2013 19:43, edited 1 time in total.
blueridgespeed
Supporter

Post by blueridgespeed »

Wizard, I've followed the post closely and I like your creation - even more so because it's been done within the constraint of a wagon (with unbreached cargo floor). Thank you for teaching/showing us so many solutions - including most recently the QA1's.

The above pic looks fantastic -and, apologies for getting ahead, but I have to ask - will you have (shorter) c/v axles made.... or will you make them yourself?

You have hubs with the internal spline from 350z (integrated with the Miata hub parts as you detailed). Your differential doesn't look like it's from a 350z - so I'm curious how you'll connect the two - esp. given the custom length needed.

I know how others have done it... he he.. I'd like to know how YOU are going to do it.

If your c/v solution is subject to the engineering/planning inherent in your other work - I trust it will be excellent - perhaps even elegant/simple.
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

To add to the above and answer some questions, I had to go with the small body shocks because of interference with the axle and the upper "A" arm, just no room for the normal 2.5" ID coil over. With the 2.5" spring, the outside is roughly 3.5" whereas the 1.880" ID small body shock is 2 5/8" OD, so there is a big difference in diameter. The stock Miata shock has the shock tube on the bottom (where the axle and upper "A" arm are) and the spring at the top. I couldn't use that style if not to "breach the cargo floor" One problem though is I might have to rethink the upper shock mount, the top where the spring mounts on the shock is hitting on the upper crossmember with the lower "A" arm parallel to the ground with the shock set at 60% of stroke at ride height.

On the axles, to clarify, the hub has Miata inner with the five lug 300zx outer, so the outer CV joint will be from an Miata and inner CV joint will be STI to match the STI R-180 diff. So yes the axles will have to be custom made because length (way shorter) and possible spline differences. Now I might make them, since I do have the machinery to do it and it could be an interesting project, but still would have to send them out to get heat treated. I would first get in touch with The Drive Shop or Dutchman's to see if it worth the effort.

Now tell me how the others have done it, I am all ears. Also thank you for the nice comments, it keeps me moving forward!
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

Monte you do some very clean work. Always a pleasure to see the progress.
An Idea doesn't work unless you do.
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

Mattndew76 wrote:Monte you do some very clean work. Always a pleasure to see the progress.
Thanks