Nick's Quickie

View and post your 510 project(s)
nickedwards

Re: Nick's Quickie

Post by nickedwards »

Thanks,

been away for a while. The quickie became a slowie :D I got married and a new job, so work on the Datsun stopped for a bit. Here are some new pics:

I hate fiberglass parts :D

I knew that the fenders I had were really crappy, so I decided to start tackling them now. So I reinstalled the hood and front panel to I could align the fenders.

I spent 8 hours just getting them all to somewhat fit. The new driver's side fender was so far off, even after splitting it at the headlight, bending and grinding on it, is still had a gap near the driver's door that went from 1/4" up to 1" wide :D So I used my old fiberglass fender off the other car.

the front look:

Don't mind the blue inside... I was trying the duplicolour paint from CT, but the blue was too bright. I'll either paint the car stock colour or silver/blue/grey with BRE stripes.

Still a large gap near the passenger door

Pretty good to the wiper cowl on this side:

Mid part of fender is out 1/16" too far

I had to crack the entire top of the fender mounting flange, and rip the corner of the light opening apart just to get the fender to bend into place.

About 100lbs of pressure down on the fender gets it to fit at the front valence:

The fender is so cheap it's missing the headlight surround section I need and a fender mount.

What it should have:

Driver's side fit:

I need to add a little height to the rear of the fender:

Need to grind the fender a bit for a better gap:

Have to bring the fender in just over 1/8". There is a support on the fender there, so I have to slot the support to bring the fender in.

Hood gap could use a little filling towards the back:

Same on the passenger side:

Hood gap is not bad:

Overall pics:

I also pulled the gas tank and rear wiring out... so the quick build is going to be a full restoration...still cheap though :D
1972 510 4 door - 4 spd project
nickedwards

Post by nickedwards »

After getting the fenders to that point, I drilled alignment hols to be able to get them back into the same location. I then had to remove the fenders to do the work required to modify them.

The passenger side fender needed to have the seam between the fender and door closed up a bit. also the mounting flange in the engine bay needed to be extended. I also decided I didn't want to be stuck using the stock 510 side markers, because they are too big, so I filled the hole.

Metal plate taped to the fender so the fiberglass has support:

Metal added to extend the rear of the fender:

Not pretty, but 90% of it gets cut off.

With the metal removed:

The next step is to trim the excess off. The I will grind the outside of the fender down a bit so I can wrap some fiberglass around the edge. After that I have to reinstall the fender to establish the proper fender/door gap.
merlin
Supporter

Post by merlin »

awesome work talk vabout bringing it back from the dead
Merlin from Datsunhistory.com

"test mule? I don't need no stinkin' test mule... Bert Vorgon is my test mule"
Denver

Post by Denver »

Cool, another Ontario guy! I have some family in London, too. Nice job on the car so far. :D I like the pictures of the underbody and all of the rockerguard stuff.
Faster is gooder.
saifa
Supporter

Post by saifa »

I'm up near Barrie....maybe you can start on mine when your done yours!! Nice job.

Seann
nickedwards

Post by nickedwards »

Hey guys, havn't been on in a long time. I had the car on hold because life got in the way, but have done a little more.

sorry for the bad pics!
I put bed liner on the floor and the trunk and have almost got the bodywork flat:

I also got these for $150!!!! Never installed steel front fenders. THe guy bought them to make molds for fiberglass fenders.

speeder

Post by speeder »

Holy Resurrection Batman! I agree with the other comments. You brought this thing back from the dead. Amazing work for a "quickie."
'72 4 door 510, '68 2000 Roadster
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Kinda resembles my brother's "quickie" ( http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15143 ). It all gets out of hand real fast! :shock:

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.