New member 71 SR20det Black Top ground up restomod

View and post your 510 project(s)
goichi1
Supporter

Re: New member 71 SR20det Black Top ground up restomod

Post by goichi1 »

Very nice looking ride!! I am sure you are just going crazy to hit the streets in it!! I know that feeling is something special....my wife couldn't understand until she went with me through the small town of Oak Harbor, WA. When she saw how people reacted and would just come right up and want to check it all out...it was really cool....just getting gas took about an hour! hahaha....I still smile when I am driving my coupe!!! congrats man!! Enjoy that sucker!!!
old510ballz

Post by old510ballz »

Since the car is undrivable, I thought I would spend some time on getting the stereo system mounted up. It started as a street/track car, but with 3 1/2 years of school left, the track is no where in sight. With that in mind I might as well build a decent stereo system, even though it adds quite a bit of weight (not that my car is a weight saver). I've owned almost thirty cars in my life time and have never had a good stereo, so this should be fun.
I have a Kenwood deck, alpine component 5 1/4's in the doors, Alpine 6x9's in the back, Kicker amp, and two 10" subs yet to mount.
Attachments
datsun 068.JPG
datsun 072.JPG
datsun 074.JPG
old510ballz

Post by old510ballz »

Couple more pics.
Attachments
datsun 076.JPG
datsun 075.JPG
watts510

Post by watts510 »

Nice. I have the same deck in my daily
Procrastinate now why wait for later ? :)
chongmang

Post by chongmang »

ugh, so nice! i loooove this car.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

It's been a long time since I could comment on your post - it's coming along pretty well.
I just went through the first section again - what rack was used in your car?
And, are you still going to run Targa Nfld? A good friend is now making noise abotu doing the event - I told him I was onboard at crew chief if needed. I'd gladly spend my holidays to do that event!
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
old510ballz

Post by old510ballz »

chongmang wrote:ugh, so nice! i loooove this car.
Thanks for the comments.
Byron510 wrote:It's been a long time since I could comment on your post - it's coming along pretty well.
I just went through the first section again - what rack was used in your car?
And, are you still going to run Targa Nfld? A good friend is now making noise abotu doing the event - I told him I was onboard at crew chief if needed. I'd gladly spend my holidays to do that event!
Byron
I would have to dig through a bunch of paper work, but I think its out of an early civic or some other honda.
As for Targa, its on my life time goals, but do to this years personal financial disaster it wont be happening for quite some time. I'm currently a 35 year old college student retraining for a new career, so hopefully in the next ten years I and my brother can pull it off. It definitely wont be in this car. I will either build a Targa perpose 510 or an STI. The 510 route would be much more fun though.
I think crew crief, driver, navigator, or what ever would be a blast. If TV portrays it truthfully, it seems to be filled with a bunch of friendly car nuts out to have a good time, perfect place for most of us.

It actually sounds like a holiday to me :)
NICKLE&DIME

Post by NICKLE&DIME »

I like this build, I too refer back to the beginning of this thread, along with the other builds. I would to see it at one of the local events soon. Does your car have to be repainted or touched up? Keep up the good work!
old510ballz

Post by old510ballz »

NICKLE&DIME wrote:I like this build, I too refer back to the beginning of this thread, along with the other builds. I would to see it at one of the local events soon. Does your car have to be repainted or touched up? Keep up the good work!
When I get the head fixed and it's drivable, I'll definitely try to make some form of event. As for touch ups, definitely a few small chips from miscellaneous accidents :shock: I do have one small dent in the hood from leaving the coil pack on the valve cover :oops: . . . . . . . you know what came next. Small dent, but a dent none the less. I really want to get the car wet sanded and polished so I can get the emblems and trim on. Interested how it will look when the body is complete.
pupwantsadime

Post by pupwantsadime »

I think the rack and pinion was out of an early model Toyota MR2. Car looks awesome.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

old510ballz wrote:I would have to dig through a bunch of paper work, but I think its out of an early civic or some other Honda.
As for Targa, its on my life time goals, but do to this years personal financial disaster it wont be happening for quite some time. If TV portrays it truthfully, it seems to be filled with a bunch of friendly car nuts out to have a good time, perfect place for most of us.
It actually sounds like a holiday to me :)
I've never been involved with the event itself, but I did spend 4 weeks touring the Rock from one end to the other and top to bottom. All I can say is that it is a super friendly place to be - the residents are just such a great bunch of people. Honestly, i found friendly people nearly everywhere on my 4 month trip across the continent, but Newfoundland stood out, as most of the Maritimes did. I can only imagine that this event would be fun, and I too dream of the day and would also love to do this in a 510. It's not about all out speed as the Subi would no doubt give you, but to finish ina classic car - that would be something to remember. You'd melt into the scene in a new car - but a classic would really stand out - and the 510 fits!

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

Byron, don't forget about the Western Canadian one coming this year!
or at least remind your friend before he heads East when he could have stayed here...
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
old510ballz

Post by old510ballz »

More progress on the stereo. I know this goes against any racing physics, but like I said before, the engine will be out of service for quite awhile so I might as well make it a place to listen to music. I put the subs in the rear kick panels. I sealed everything off with dynamat, so the area acts like a sealed box. The cage made it very hard to get the speakers in (fault of my own bad design). Had to make my hands fit into spaces I never thought they would. I've never had subs, so this should be interesting once I get everything wired up. I'll let you know how it sounds.
Attachments
datsun 080.JPG
datsun 079.JPG
datsun 083.JPG
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

Any speaker driver works optimally in an enclosure designed around its specific t/s parameters. If you were to, say, fiberglass that space entirely and and result in a volume of air acceptable for the subwoofer driver being used, that would be great, but as of now I suspect you're going to have a lot of air leaks and dynamat/cardboard flapping around/buzzing. Also, did you leave enough room for the surround to extend without hitting the cage bar?
I'm your huckleberry.
old510ballz

Post by old510ballz »

thisismatt wrote:Any speaker driver works optimally in an enclosure designed around its specific t/s parameters. If you were to, say, fiberglass that space entirely and and result in a volume of air acceptable for the subwoofer driver being used, that would be great, but as of now I suspect you're going to have a lot of air leaks and dynamat/cardboard flapping around/buzzing. Also, did you leave enough room for the surround to extend without hitting the cage bar?
There is enough room for the cone to extend and I did think of the air leakage issue so we'll see once it fires up. If it doesn't work I'll figure out something else to do with them.