Motor mount question

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
bluesbrother30

Motor mount question

Post by bluesbrother30 »

Hi group.........

So my car has been apart for some time.........there are two distinctly different motor mounts. One is a one piece stamped unit. The other has a couple pieces factory welded together........are they the same height?? Which side does the multi piece go on?? Passenger, driver??? Help !!!!

Mike
datzenmike
Supporter

Re: Motor mount question

Post by datzenmike »

The single engine bracket is on the left the other on the right.

The rubber isolaters are the same.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
James

Post by James »

Passenger or Driver might be more clear...
Finished is better than perfect......
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Depends where you are. Imagine sitting in the vehicle. left is to the left, right to the right.... it's universal, can't go wrong. In Australia, Japan and other countries the passenger side would be to the left so that would be confusing to those readers. I might say 'single engine bracket is on the right side as viewed from the front' but it takes longer. It's definitely on the left side of the car.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
bluesbrother30

Post by bluesbrother30 »

Datsun (2).JPG
Datsun (2).JPG (27.16 KiB) Viewed 6306 times

Another question........is the pic of this motor mount in the correct position?? Or do I have it upside down??

Mike
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

that would be upside down. if your using that aftermarket mount you will have to fight to get them lined up. there's a post about how much thicker that aftermarket mount is.
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
bluesbrother30

Post by bluesbrother30 »

Yup you are right there........these are aftermarket and I have spent a hour just moving them around to different angles and bolt combos.........they just are not going to work as is. Is there a link to the discussion or just type in motor mounts in the search box.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Try just starting all the bolts and leave loose. Same with the engine brackets.
68Datsun510

Post by 68Datsun510 »

Ive gone through the same ordeal, where on earth they got that spec for thickness is beyond me.
Sacramento Datsun Owners
~Visit Sacramento Datsun Owners on Facebook!
abisel

Post by abisel »

Get the OEM mounts from here:
https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts/n ... &Filter=()

Item 1 in this picture:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (87.4 KiB) Viewed 6184 times
I have also found that the motor mounts for an L20B raise the engine a bit to high for my liking. Whereas the L16 motor mounts which are a bit thinner, work just fine.

Also, be aware that the mounts to the engine block themselves (items 2 and 3) are LH and RH.

Cheers,
Hakosuka510

Post by Hakosuka510 »

68Datsun510 wrote: 18 Apr 2018 03:27 Ive gone through the same ordeal, where on earth they got that spec for thickness is beyond me.
It's because they're Chinese manufacturers who happened to spec the mounts off the 620 Datsun because most people think they're identical to 510 mounts when in fact the 620 are 3mm(?) taller.

620 owners actually have a huge break though in that, from that point onward, Nissan retained that mount thickness for virtually everything, including the SR20, and the face of the mounts where they meet the block brackets have the studs and alignment nubs in the identical position. Only the back plates that bolt to the crossmembers are different. This means as a 620 owner I'm able to take Kazama or Cusco SR20 engine mounts, take them apart, cut the S-chassis mounting plate off and weld an original 620 plate from an old, failed mount (using a Japanese one, as the Chinese ones are made using the thinnest plate they can get away with) on, and suddenly I have the most amazing engine mounts ever. UNFORTUNATELY, it won't work for my 510 because of the height difference...
68Datsun510

Post by 68Datsun510 »

Makes sense... Im trying to figure out a better mount option for my VG swap, but nobody makes z31 upgrades... UGH lol
Sacramento Datsun Owners
Hakosuka510

Post by Hakosuka510 »

68Datsun510 wrote: 31 May 2018 02:59 Makes sense... Im trying to figure out a better mount option for my VG swap, but nobody makes z31 upgrades... UGH lol
Whiteline makes some that don't look bad. Also, Z31 mounts look verrry close to S13 mounts. What's the thickness/height of yours?
68Datsun510

Post by 68Datsun510 »

Stock appears to be 2 3/4", z31 mounts
Sacramento Datsun Owners