Need camshaft identification

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
Byron510

Need camshaft identification

Post by Byron510 »

Hi guys, I need help identifying a new cam that I purchased in 2006 in an unused but previously rebuild U-67 head.

The stamps on the back read “CG-97”, “386” and “B”.

Now I think the B is OEM, as I’m sure this is an L16 can that has been reground.

I know Web Cams used the CG, but I can not find any record of this one, or who else may have made this cam.
The lift at the lobe is .320”, left at the valve is .480” with lash set at 010”.

If anyone had any ideas, I’d love to hear from you.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Baz

Re: Need camshaft identification

Post by Baz »

U67 is std head on most early L20B engines the B camshaft was also std. for the L20B.
Was a 62degree cam same timing as L16/L18SSS.
As far as the rest of it goes you would have to do a plot.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I'm thinking the same.

This cam & head, along with 44 Mikuni's are now on the Bronze as of a few hours ago. I took it fro a short drive tonight to a cruise in here in my little city, it was fun but the carbs are way too rich. The wideband is awesome for this, makes it so definite.. but more on that will be posted in my Bronze builds thread.

As t=fro the cam, I wanted to degree it, but just ran short on time. I needed the car together for tonight if I'm to take it to the historics this weekend. So, pulling the rad and setting upa degree wheel will have to wait for another day. It's likely a comparable mild race cam given the specs, and I'm good with that. On paper the lift seemed comparable to the Shadbolt 445 cam that just came off the car.

I'll post the results when I do degree the cam, likely this winter.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

U67 is an L20B head but could have an L16 cam swapped in. If an L20B cam it will have these square bumps cast in...

I have a used Isky cam (I assume reground) with a calculated .480 lift (although it is stamped .490) for a U-67 head I want to 'build'. It seems to work on stock springs without stacking. Can you confirm the lift limit at around .480"? Also where did you get the proper lash pads? Mine are woefully short.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs