Ignition timming - No mark on pulley?

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
NunoTT

Ignition timming - No mark on pulley?

Post by NunoTT »

Hello everyone!

I was going to check/ajust the ignition timming on the 510, but I noticed that I don't have any mark on the pulley. Is this "normal"? The engine is an L16.

If I have to make a new mark on the pulley, what is the best way to make sure the engine is on TDC? (it would be great if I don't have to remove the valve cover. I hate scraping of old gasket/silicone :lol: )

Thanks is advance!

NunoTT
abisel

Re: Ignition timming - No mark on pulley?

Post by abisel »

I would suggest before doing anything is to get another pulley that does have the timing marks. They are keyed to the crankshaft so alignment isn't an issue.
NunoTT

Post by NunoTT »

abisel wrote: 22 Aug 2019 06:47 I would suggest before doing anything is to get another pulley that does have the timing marks. They are keyed to the crankshaft so alignment isn't an issue.
L16 parts (or 510 parts in general) are hard to find here in Portugal... It won't be easy to find a pulley... That's why I wanted to mark mine
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Look online for videos on removing the #1 spark plug, placing your thumb over the hole, and spinning the motor by hand until the pressure builds and blows your thumb off (TDC). It's not perfect, but it will get you close.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Understood that locally a correct pulley would be hard to source.

The above method works within 15 degrees, you can also use a screwdriver down the hole and feel the piston come up to TDC, and get within 5-10 degrees if you’re good.

However you’re going to want to get this accurate, and there’s only one way I’ve done this and it will be using a dial indicator through the spark plug hole. The good news is that you won’t need to remove the valve cover. But you do need to source the tool and likely a mag base to support it. Just make sure your measuring TDC on the compression strike, and not the exhaust stroke - pop the distributor off and make sure the rotor is pointed at the #1 terminal. Would that suck to make the mark on the wrong stroke...
I e always wanted to get one of these, but the angle of the L series spark plug may not allow this to work;

https://www.amazon.ca/Fowler-52-520-747 ... 6481&psc=1

However there is another easy way to do this accurately, I’ve not tried this method myself, but it sounds very promising. I may look for this little inexpensive piston stopper tool.
https://m.wikihow.com/Find-Your-Engine% ... TDC)?amp=1

Anyways, a couple of suggestions for you to try. Once marked with a pen, you can file in a permanent mark either in place or by removing the pulley.

Keep us posted.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
James

Post by James »

What type of marker set up so you have on the timing cover?

1. Is is a single arrow - in which case you would have multiple marks on the pulley or
Unknown.jpeg
Unknown.jpeg (6.45 KiB) Viewed 3209 times
2. Is it a sawtooth with numbers, in which case you would have 1 mark on the pulley?
Unknown-1.jpeg
Unknown-1.jpeg (8.13 KiB) Viewed 3209 times

I have an old pulley in a box. It wouldn't be too hard to make a quick cad drawing with the mark in relationship to the woodruff keyway on the pulley - which you could print out and overlay - and file a notch in your pulley - probably about as accurate or better than the previously mentioned methods.

Let me know and I'll see what I can do.
Finished is better than perfect......
NunoTT

Post by NunoTT »

Thank you all for your help!

I decided to clean the pulley with a wire brush before making any new marks, and while doing that I actually found the original mark.
I can now set the timming correctly
James

Post by James »

Cleanliness is next to godliness a they say.
Finished is better than perfect......