Prothane transmission mount

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
HKS

Prothane transmission mount

Post by HKS » 23 Mar 2020 20:23

Looking for advice on the Prothane transmission mount. Setup is for a Datsun 510 with SR20 trans with T3 trans mount bracket. I purchased the Prothane 7-1604 trans mount poly but it was significantly taller when mocking it up compared to my 280zx OEM mount. Does anyone have the correct trans mount part number? Thanks in advance.

demo243

Re: Prothane transmission mount

Post by demo243 » 24 Mar 2020 12:18

I am running the same prothane mount on KA swap with T3 Trans crossmember and McKinley motor mounts, I actually had to add a spacer under the prothane trans mount to get everything to line up--- the 280z trans mount dropped the trans too low and angled the engine so far downward the head/valve cover were hitting the firewall... although I do have slight setback mounts to push the engine further back in the bay.

I picked up my 280z trans mount from rock auto for pretty cheap and quick
'71 4 Door - Street/AutoX/Track Day Romper - Carb'ed KA24DE

HKS

Post by HKS » 24 Mar 2020 14:16

demo243 wrote:
24 Mar 2020 12:18
I am running the same prothane mount on KA swap with T3 Trans crossmember and McKinley motor mounts, I actually had to add a spacer under the prothane trans mount to get everything to line up--- the 280z trans mount dropped the trans too low and angled the engine so far downward the head/valve cover were hitting the firewall... although I do have slight setback mounts to push the engine further back in the bay.

I picked up my 280z trans mount from rock auto for pretty cheap and quick
Thanks for the info. Were you using the same part number mounts?

demo243

Post by demo243 » 25 Mar 2020 06:45

HKS wrote:
24 Mar 2020 14:16

Thanks for the info. Were you using the same part number mounts?
Actually looking back mine was energy suspension... but I believe they are the same part... Ill do some more digging for some photos but here is a quick excerpt from my build thread on the two mounts
demo243 wrote:
28 Jan 2018 10:15
Let me take a step back here and say... while the last post makes it seem like dropping the KA in was easy... let me tell you it was not.... Maybe I have a wonky crossmember or I dont know what... but I could not get the 510 mounts to line up on the x-member... I wrestled with it for hours before having Tim make the set back mounts. The other big issue I had, was I really did not like the way to 510 soft mounts were binding up... I ended up going with the Mckinney mounts as they were easier to fit, and I actually ended up having to lift the engine up to clear the pan and the steering bar.

In the future I would like to have some custom engine mounts fab'ed up

It also seems like the trans sat really low with the T3 xmember and then 240/260/280 isolator so I ended up using a energy suspension universal one... although I may go back and try the nissan one again sometime soon.

ImageUntitled by Devon Mitchell, on Flickr

ImageUntitled by Devon Mitchell, on Flickr

Overall was pretty unimpressed with the McKinney Mounts as well as the T3 trans crossmember... Oh well they will work for now...

HKS

Post by HKS » 26 Mar 2020 20:56

That is interesting that you had to use an additional spacer on top of the poly isolator. If anything the poly i used is too thick to clearance the T3 mount with the McKinney puck engine mounts. I need to remeasure everything once more but thanks for providing your info.

demo243

Post by demo243 » 27 Mar 2020 19:12

Yea I think I have an additional 5mm washer in between... havent been under the car in a while.

Maybe T3 updated their mount?

I knew another guy running a t3 crossmember on a wagon with a KA and he need a 10-20mm spacer under the 280z trans mount for it to work.

End of the day everyones set up is different... and these cars all seem to be a bit different... Everyone told me I could use the stock 510 engine isolators dropped to mount the upper isolator holes on the lower engine crossmember holes... but I couldnt get it close to working there was too much bind...

Figure out what works for you and run it!