Which CV axle conversion kit is the best?

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
B^2

Which CV axle conversion kit is the best?

Post by B^2 »

I know there are a few companies out there making cv axle conversion kits for the 510 and I'm wondering if their is a hierarchy of who is making the best kit.  I was reading that one person had an issue with the Ermish kit but it's hard to tell if that's a design issue or something else.  I know the datsunrestomods kit is popular but I don't know how it compares to futofab or zcargarage.
DADZSUN
Supporter

Re: Which CV axle conversion kit is the best?

Post by DADZSUN »

I'll take a stab at this. 4 years ago I was a consumer asking the very same question.

Being the creator/fabricator of Datsun Restomods axles I may seem bias but my goal was always to provide a product for a very specific type of market at a price that was close to my cost as possible. Over the years I've convinced an easy 15-20 customers NOT to purchase my axles due to power and/or ride height setups. Since my business model is NOT based on maximizing revenue, I'm able to be fully transparent and prioritize customer happiness.

Short answer:
Datsun Restomods: Ideal for Datsuns with stock-moderate lowered ride height and power, with a priority to low maintenance and simple/clean setup (no adaptors)
6-bolt Porsche style setup: Ideal for higher power, moderate to heavy lapping. Personally I've heard great things about DriveshaftShop.com

Long answer:
My short answer is somewhat moot because I'm planning to only offer another single made-to-order batch for Spring 2022. After that I'm out. These axles take approx 5hrs/set to fabricate, and over the past 3 years I've sold somewhere between 200-210 sets. If you do the math that's a lot of hours per week for a non-profitable (but very fun) venture. For a whole host of reasons I'm keen to seize axle production and move on with new products & fabrication.
Another popular Datsun parts fabricator has recently copied my design (having heard from several other small fabricators, this company is apparently very good at 'borrowing' others designs) so that may be an option with R180 stubs. Otherwise the 6-bolt setup could work if you keep an eye on the bolts.
'72 Datsun 510 - MS KA24e, Watanabe, STI R180 & CV axles, R&P assisted steering
'76 Datsun 620 - VQ35DE, CD009, G35 suspension & brakes.
'76 Datsun 280z - Future track toy
Creativity outlet: www.datsunrestomods.com
iceman510

Post by iceman510 »

More on this same question:

https://ratsun.net/topic/79993-for-cv-a ... nt-1727507
DADZSUN wrote: 30 Nov 2021 04:36 Another popular Datsun parts fabricator has recently copied my design (having heard from several other small fabricators, this company is apparently very good at 'borrowing' others designs) so that may be an option with R180 stubs.
I thought I saw some parts that looked very similar (cough- T3- cough). :shock:
broke

Post by broke »

IMO it's best to DIY shorten some Nissan 3x2 axles. See the massive CV axle thread for my reasoning why.

I did see those T3 ones and assumed they were buying them from Dadzun and selling under licence...
The IDx 10 concept is based on the 510 in the same way that the urinating I was doing last night was based on a 30 yr old single-malt scotch.
-McWicked