HELP! Is this Bad?

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
Kunkles

HELP! Is this Bad?

Post by Kunkles »

Im a little new to this stuff and my mechanic is out of town for two weeks.

i just replaced the waterpump/fanclutch/fanblade because i thought the fan clutch had gone bad (the fan had wedged itself under the radiator) and now it seems that maybe the pulley is working its way loose? when the fan was jammed nothing was able to move, so it seems possible that the pulley had begun to work itself loose.
if you look at the photo you can see where the fan is being 'eaten' by the bottom edge of the radiator. I just want to make sure that that if i tighten it that isnt the only thing going on.
thanks
Attachments
bad.jpg
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: HELP! Is this Bad?

Post by bertvorgon »

Make sure that a motor mount or tranny mount has not failed. yes, you can tighten the fan mounting bolts, which also hold the pulley on. Do you have any weird noise? If not, that is good, as the water pump MIGHT be failing. Give the pulley a good wiggle when you have the bolts tight, it virtually should not move. Is the rad tight in it's mount, you never know.

That fan on the right way? I can't quite tell in the picture, which way the pitch goes. The fan will move FORWARD a bit, if on backwards.

Gap looks ok, but, there are a few crank pulley combos.

Not sure what to say about power issue. I have not run a clutch fan for a zillion years, as they are noisy and do suck up some power.

It looks like the fan is VERY close to the radiator.
Last edited by bertvorgon on 23 May 2009 14:40, edited 3 times in total.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Kunkles

Post by Kunkles »

ill check out motor/tranny mounts. the fan/waterpump are on there tight. but the gap in the crankshaft pulley is what had me worried.
i also took it for a little drive and im losing A LOT of power. it was running like a dream before the whole fan incident. when i go wide open it revs and it is catching but there's just no power.
James

Post by James »

One thing to look at is the plastic fan catches the threads on the bolts and can be tight - but the fan can be held off the pulley. With the engine running - does the fan/pulley wobble?

Where on the radiator did the fan it - top or bottom?

I would (as recommended by BV) make sure you don't have a loose tranny mount. If the fan hit on the bottom of the radiator - the angle would make sense for a tranny mount (or bolts from engine to tranny). Also check the radiator bolts - it could be loose too.

I just looked at my crank pulley - it looks about the same gap (from a twilight sideways glance :? )

Wondering if your fan clutch is not releasing.....
Finished is better than perfect......