Has Anyone Ever??

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
warren

Has Anyone Ever??

Post by warren »

K guys i'm putting this up here kinda expecting to catch some hell from some of you but here we go.
I'm lookin to put a 05 subaru sti drivetrain into a 2dr 510. Has anyone ever done this?? Is it Even possible??
I guess i like the idea of a 500hp all-wheel drive 510. Let me know what you think.

Thanks Guys
okayfine
Supporter

Re: Has Anyone Ever??

Post by okayfine »

:roll: No.

Please search. It's been discussed time and again, and it's never been done. There are many obstacles in the way of this succeeding. It is always said that with all the money and time and skill necessary, anything can be done. However, there are physical limitations that cannot be overcome, such as the front axle line. For the Sube engine to fit and the front axle to line up anywhere close to the 510 front axle, you'd have to add inches to the front of the car.

If you were going to build an AWD 510, you'd likely want to start with the GTI-R drivetrain.

But even then, if you're asking us if it is possible, it's not possible for you. No offense, but we get this stuff all the time. Convince us you have the time, money, and ability, then we can talk about all the issues you'll face.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

warren wrote:I guess i like the idea of a 500hp all-wheel drive 510.
so do i :!:
when i win the lottery ill be able to afford to do it right...until then, L series FTW :P
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

I agree with okayfine, but I'll try to soften the blow a little. The problem, Warren, is that the 510 has a much shorter front overhang than the Scooby. If you lined up the front axles with the front 510 wheels, then the motor would be sticking out of the grill. If you want to go RWD, however, then see this for inspiration...

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.ph ... 20#p123639

It fits, and it's been done, but it's a very advanced project, and you need to plan in advance for such an undertaking, lots of custom metal work required.

But like okayfine said, what about a GTI-R Pulsar drivetrain? I've seen these pop up in the US a time of two. Less than ideal weight distribution maybe, but maybe a little more feasable if you're dead set on AWD. Look into it and report back.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

S15DET wrote:I agree with okayfine, but I'll try to soften the blow a little.
There are lots of ways Warren's question could be asked, but it's usually obvious when one hasn't done any investigation of the matter beforehand.
S15DET wrote:But like okayfine said, what about a GTI-R Pulsar drivetrain? I've seen these pop up in the US a time of two. Less than ideal weight distribution maybe, but maybe a little more feasable if you're dead set on AWD. Look into it and report back.
Subarus are not known for their weight distribution either.

I think you'd want the entire car, if possible, you could probably get one for the price of an STi drivetrain. It would make a swapper's life easier. You'd likely want/need to use most of the Pulsar suspension as well, most certainly the front-end stuff. I'm thinking the drivetrain might be a touch tall - even the pug-nosed Pulsar had a domed hood.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
warren

Post by warren »

I have not had the chance to work out all the numbers to see if the swap would work. I thought that while i was trying to do the math i would ask you guys and maybe one of you would have ether tried it and got it to work or tried it and couldn't make it work so i would know what i had to overcome to make it work. Thanks for the heads up about the front end and the tip about the Pulsar i did look into one of those but the STI kinda fell into my lap. I was also lookin at picking up two shells instead of just one to use one as a mock-up car because i thought the build would be quite sheet metal work heavy. Thanks for all the feed back though evry little bit helps. Feel free to let me know if you guys think of anything else because I'm not commited at this point to the swap. I know that i will be picking up a 510 2dr though.
Thanks Again
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

A guy on Ratsun put Pulsar GTIR AWD in his 510. I don't think it's done but sounds cool.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
Derek

Post by Derek »

Another stupid swap thread by someone with less than 10 posts, sweet.

I think we should all put ourselves in these guys shoes and log on to some random model specific car forum and come up with wacky swap ideas to see what all the hype is about.

Go to NASIOC or whatever and suggest swapping an L20B into an STI
Go to VVVVortex and post about how awesome a RWD converted SR20DET Caddy would be
Go to some S2000 fourms and let them know how well an FJ would work in their cars..
How about Rennlist and make noises about a VQ powered 928...

How fun!
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Derek wrote:Go to NASIOC or whatever and suggest swapping an L20B into an STI
You do that in "General" and you'll get most of the noobs agreeing with you :lol:
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

warren wrote:I have not had the chance to work out all the numbers to see if the swap would work.
What "numbers?" All you need is a tape measure.
warren wrote: I was also lookin at picking up two shells instead of just one to use one as a mock-up car because i thought the build would be quite sheet metal work heavy.
Please don't cut up a 510 shell for your project. You won't finish it, and it will be one less 510 around. Why don't you put your STI drivetrain into a BRAT or a early-'90s Legacy? Or an SVX? Or an Audi 80 or something that's been designed to hold the hardware?
five&dime

Post by five&dime »

I always look forward to okay's responses :twisted:
warren

Post by warren »

Like i said i expected to get alot of hate about this. As for taking a tape measure to the car and then the drive line your right i should have done that first. i should have bought the car, imported it, bought the driveline, spent about $7000 dollars on all of that before i troubled you guys by asking a simple question. I think it's funny that people join these forums to get some help and find out information before they start a build and you always get one or two guys that get off on bad mouthing someone.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I'd like to think of okayfine as an unofficial moderator of common sense :D
A simple search for "subaru 510" nets a page of discussion where -guess what - you weren't the first to think of this!

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.ph ... subaru+510

I did some engine bay measurements years ago for a fella just like you - brainstorming, you'll find them there. Unfortunately the Subi lay out won't work as an AWD - but RWD... well that's also been done!

Warren, we want to hear about your new ride/project. But take some of the advice given here with a grain of salt, there are very knowledgeable people here who won't steer you wrong.

Let's see pics of this car you pick up, and take it from there. An L powered 510 is still classy, and still fun without all the work! So my advice is quit dreaming big, and just get out and drive it :D You will love it the way it is - the faster, fury-ester mode works in movies, but honest cars get loved more.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
warren

Post by warren »

Byron i think you are right. I did try googleing my project before i asked here and what i came up with seemed to be alot of guys that just gave up on thier projects. I know that guys that post on a forum like this are all very knowledgeable and don't give up when they hit there first snag. Thats why i posted here to get the experts point of view. I already passeed up on the sti drive train. i have found a local 69 510 2dr. that i'm gonna go look at today.
Thanks again for all your help guys. I'll post more when i pick up a car cause i'm sure i'll need lots of help.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

warren wrote:Like i said i expected to get alot of hate about this.
Hey now, Warren, chillax. Who's "hating?" Kind of a strong word, don't'cha think?
warren wrote:i should have done that first. i should have bought the car, imported it, bought the driveline, spent about $7000 dollars on all of that before i troubled you guys by asking a simple question. I think it's funny that people join these forums to get some help and find out information before they start a build and you always get one or two guys that get off on bad mouthing someone.
Warren, reread your OP. Think you could refashion that to include the information above that you didn't post in your OP? The more you help us, the more we can help you. I think it's funny that people join these forums and think we can all read their minds.

Look at it from the other side. Posts like yours are, unfortunately, a daily occurance. The information is already out there, we don't have time to completely rehash it every day. There are a hundred different ways you could have asked your question that would have shown you have already searched, processed the information contained therein, then formulated one or two succinct questions related to points you were still unclear on.

That last bit is what forums are really for.