R160 ring and pinion set-up

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
jackedaw11

R160 ring and pinion set-up

Post by jackedaw11 »

A long ass time ago (2 years) Hainz sold me a 4.11 ring and pinion for super cheap out of the goodness of his heart because he was confident I'd use it. Well its 2 years later and I've been a lazy bastard and haven't worked on my car at all(sorry hainz). I still have it new in the box and I'm finally getting around to work on my car again. I don't want to pay $300 to someone for something I could do for myself, so my question is...

Has anyone changed out their ring and pinion in their R160 themselves? How'd it go? is it any trickier than setting up an R&P in a solid rear axle?

I also want to replace the bearings and seals while I'm in there, does anyone have part #s or sources for them (rockauto?)
defdes
Supporter

Re: R160 ring and pinion set-up

Post by defdes »

I have had the ring out to do an LSD swap into an open carrier, but never the pinion. If you use all of the same crush washers, everything might lash up okay, but I don't know. You could do it, and if the lash needed adjusting, there would be that much less for the gear shop to do.
As for the bearings and seals, I'd be curious about that myself...mine is leaking quite a bit now.
jackedaw11

Re: R160 ring and pinion set-up

Post by jackedaw11 »

Well, I think I found all the parts I need, I ordered all new seals and bearings for the diff and pinion from rock auto for $125. I wanted to go with nissan bearings, but they were about 3x the price and I think these will work just fine. I want to make sure I got the right stuff, so I'll hold off on putting part #s up until I get my order in.

I looked through the 510 manual and setting up a diff doesn't look too complicated, I can't believe those knuckleheads charge $300 for it... But I'll probably be singing a different tune when I start trying to put the diff back together. :)