5 speed tranny numbers

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
lookylou

5 speed tranny numbers

Post by lookylou »

can any one out there tell me if a 5 speed transmission, part # ZL71B will bolt directly

on to a stock L-16 in a '72 510. Any information would be appreciated.

thanks, mark
datzenmike
Supporter

Re: 5 speed tranny numbers

Post by datzenmike »

Any FS5W71B tranny from a '77-'78 280z and '79-'83 280zx non turbo OR '77-'79 620 and '80 2wd 720 truck, OR '78-'84 810/Maxima will bolt on to the L16 motor. All these vehicles use an L series motor, 4 or 6cyl., and the trannys will interchange because of the similar engine bolt pattern. The FS5W71B came with different front case/engine bolt patterns and was used with no less than 4 different engine types. It will even fit the KA24E/DE (which it was never used on) and was in use for a total of 9 years before being up-graded to the C type. The C type was introduced in '86, two years after the last L series engine was used, so no FS5W71C trannys had the L bolt pattern.

This transmission is longer than the stock F4W63 in your 510 and will require the drive shaft to be shortened, the tranny mount modified, and the shifter hole moved, but well worth the effort. This is a strong tranny with over drive and increases the value of your car. It will look like this, and be 31.5" long:

The FS5W71B came in a variety of gear and over drive 5th gear ratios depending which car or truck it was used in. I would say that if it's from a 280zx, ('80-'83) the over drive is a bit tall for a small L16 and would be best only for freeway cruising. Alternatively, a lower rear end ratio could be used on your 510 to compensate for this. It would have better bottom end power but still get fairly good mileage in 5th gear.

The L series and the Z series FS5W71B trannys are very similar and easily confused. That number, ZL71B was probably on the tail stock and is likely a casting number and not an actual part number. The fact that it says LZ possibly means that it is common to both and so it's also possible that this tranny is actually for a Z series motor. Here are two transmissions of mine. One is a Z series and one an L.

The way to tell which is which is to find the center casting line that runs forward from the shifter and follow it up the 'bell housing' to the top two engine mounting bolt holes. (one on each side) The tranny on the left's casting ridge goes up and there is a bolt hole about an inch from the right side at the top. This is the Z series position. The tranny on the right is leaning and a bit harder to see but if you follow the casting line up you'll see that the bolt hole is about an inch to the left. This is an L series tranny. An easy way to remember is... Left is L series.

.... well you did say any info. :mrgreen:
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
510rcr

Re: 5 speed tranny numbers (into a L-16)

Post by 510rcr »

This weekend I am picking up and preparing to put a 1977 280Z 5 speed in my ex-ITC car (being slowly converted to vintage until I can afford to start racing again). I have not seen what size clutch & pressure plate this setup has. I know I will have to shorten my driveshaft but am unclear regarding the clutch/pressure plate. With my current setup( L-16 ), I run a 2000 Roadster clutch & pressure plate. I currently have dual 40mm Webers with the IT spec motor and hope to upgrade to either more compression with the L-16 or a high compression L-18.

1. Using the 280 gear box; will I still be able to use the Roadster clutch & pressure plate or do I need something different?

2. If it works as currently setup, will the roadster setup still have enough holding power if I up my HP as planned?

Thank you in advance, Matt
Matt A.
Topeka, KS
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Yes the 280x box will fit the 200mm Roadster clutch and pp no problem. Use the throwout sleeve (get a new bearing) that is matched to the pp with this tranny. I can't imagine an L-16 powerful enough to overpower a Roadster clutch so you're good.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
dislexicdime

Post by dislexicdime »

are you sure you want the the 5 speed from a 77 i thought the gearing in the 77 z car trans where not the best set up for a 510
I thought the the 78 through 83 where a batter choice?
L series only have one header!

i need another garage mine is full of part's
510rcr

Post by 510rcr »

Thank you,

Regarding the ratios, it all depends what you want. I want as close ratio as I can get while still fitting my budget (broke). If you look at the two charts I attached below you will see that it has a much lower 5th gear ratio (like the wide ratio overdrive comp transmission in lower chart). The 81 - 83 would be better for a street car as it would not be as buzzy on the freeway with the taller 5th gear ratio. From posts I have read, the 80 - 83's just do not pull likje you want (5th gear)in racing situations being so tall of a final drive. First gear is different, but it does not really matter in most road racing applications.

Trans Ratio Charts:

1977 through 1983 Factory Four/Five Speed Transmission Ratios Note: Ratios in 4spd.'s are the same as 5spd.'s For 1st-4th gears.
77-79 1980 81-83 Borg Warner T-5 {Turbo Only]

1 3.321 3.062 3.062 3.500

2 2.077 1.858 1.858 2.144

3 1.308 1.308 1.308 1.375

4 1.000 1.000 1.000 1.000

5 0.864 0.773 0.745 0.780

Factory Competition Transmissions 77 - 83
There were Factory Competition 5-Speeds available through NISSAN Competiton Dept. There were two overdrive Transmissions, and four with the direct drive (1:1 in fifth gear)

#1 #2 #3 #4 #5

32010-N3130 2.906 1.902 1.308 1.000 0.864 (close ratio)

32010-N3030 3.321 2.077 1.308 1.000 0.864 (wide ratio)
Matt A.
Topeka, KS
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

The 0.773/0.745 main and counter overdrive gears can be swapped for a 'taller' set from another 5spd. to improve the 5th gear performance or maybe just swap in a 4.11 or 4.375 rear end. This would improve the close ratio 1st gear take offs in town and keeping the 0.745 5th would still help with highway mileage.
510rcr

Post by 510rcr »

Datzen Mike,

I thought I had this figured out but am now confused. My deal on the '77 tranny fell through and I am looking again. When you refer to the "L" & "Z" transmissions; am I correct in hearing that only the "L" will work on an "L" motor b/c the "Z" one you refer to will have the shifter rolled to the side and thus not work?
That assumed true it leaves me with 3 Questions:
1) When you say "Z" are you meaning NAPZ engine and not referring to 280Z / ZX "L" engines and thus the "Z" will not fit?
2) if getting a transmission that is already out of a car, do they all have the same stamping # where you cannot know the ratios in the gear box without counting revolutions?
3) As well, you cannot tell if it is a "L" or "Z" without looking for the bolt hole location?

Thx, I am just trying to get it all straight as I do not want to buy something I do not want as I am specifically wanting an 0.864 fifth gear.

Matt
Matt A.
Topeka, KS
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

510rcr wrote:Datzen Mike,

I thought I had this figured out but am now confused. My deal on the '77 tranny fell through and I am looking again. When you refer to the "L" & "Z" transmissions; am I correct in hearing that only the "L" will work on an "L" motor b/c the "Z" one you refer to will have the shifter rolled to the side and thus not work?
Yes. The L series and the Z series motors have the same bolt pattern BUT sit at a different angle. A Z series tranny mounted to an L series motor would have to rotate to the right to line up the mounting bolt holes and thus the shifter would be rotated to the right as well. Placing it tight against the passenger seat. Likewise an L series tranny mounted to a Z series motor would rotate to the left to bolt up, which would rotate the shifter to the left. Placing it tight against the driver's seat.
510rcr wrote:That assumed true it leaves me with 3 Questions:
1) When you say "Z" are you meaning NAPZ engine and not referring to 280Z / ZX "L" engines and thus the "Z" will not fit?
Yes, the Z refers to the Z series NAPS motor. Very confusing I know. If I meant a 280z/zx I would likely say a Z car tranny .... which strangely, IS and L tranny. :lol: Again, the Z series tranny will 'bolt up' to an L series motor but the shifter will be poorly placed against the passenger seat.

510rcr wrote:2) if getting a transmission that is already out of a car, do they all have the same stamping # where you cannot know the ratios in the gear box without counting revolutions?

Other than counting the input shaft turns against the output shaft turns I don't know any other way to tell what gear ratios are in it. This would be the most trusted method as a case could have been swapped. Knowing which year and vehicle it came out of will narrow it down, but again, the tranny could have been swapped. There is a number code stamped into the very top front of the tranny case. ( just behind the head) It indicates the month of manufacture and the year, but not the vehicle it was out of.

510rcr wrote:3) As well, you cannot tell if it is a "L" or "Z" without looking for the bolt hole location?
This is the best way to tell:
The way to tell which is which is to find the center casting line that runs forward from the shifter and follow it up the 'bell housing' to the top two engine mounting bolt holes. (one on each side) The tranny on the left's casting ridge goes up and there is a bolt hole about an inch from the right side at the top. This is the Z series position. The tranny on the right is leaning and a bit harder to see but if you follow the casting line up you'll see that the bolt hole is about an inch to the left. This is an L series tranny. An easy way to remember is... Left is L series.
510rcr wrote:Thx, I am just trying to get it all straight as I do not want to buy something I do not want as I am specifically wanting an 0.864 fifth gear.Matt
OK, then the two L series trannys you DO NOT want are the '80-'83 280zx trannys with either the 0.745 or the 0.773 overdrive ratios. These two are the highest FS5W71B ratios. Most all other L series FS5W71B trannys range from 0.813 to 0.864.

The 280z/zx 0.864 5th gear tranny was introduced in Aug of '76, making it a '77 model year option and used through '79. To avoid the newer '80-'83 tranny, look at the 10mm bolt that secures the speedo drive into the tail stock. Pre '80 trannys, 0.864 5th gear, will have the bolt above it in the 12 o'clock position. All '80 and newer trannys, with 0.773 and 0.745 ratio 5th gear, had it at the bottom 6 o'clock position. Here is my 280z or maybe zx 5 speed. I know it is because I removed it myself. I do know that it is a pre '80 because of the shifter and the speedo drive mounting bolt in the 12 o'clock position:

This is an '80 or newer FS5W71B with the speedo drive mounting bolt at 6 o'clock:

510rcr

Post by 510rcr »

Thank you sir !!! Exceedingly good explanation with illustrations like that are great.

Thank you for the time, I am on track now.
Matt A.
Topeka, KS