How to remove a mustache bar

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
jonmorine

How to remove a mustache bar

Post by jonmorine »

Hey,

This may sound like another stupid question but I cannot for the life of me get the mustache bar out of the 510 to replace the bushings. They are in desperate need of replacing.

I tried jacking the car up from different points to get the diff to lower enough to come off the studs but no luck. Do I need to take the diff out to get the bar out?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks
2009 Subaru STI
1969 Datsun 510
2009 VW Rabbit
S15DET
Supporter

Re: How to remove a mustache bar

Post by S15DET »

It is frustrating.
Do this, use both nuts on one stud locked together in order to back the studs out of the rear cover of the diff. When teh studs are out of the way, the mustache bar will be free.
Pedro

Post by Pedro »

I had the same issue and just loosened the bolts on the rear cradle (1 on either side as you probably know), this gives you that extra inch of drop, then the mustache bar should be low enough to get pasts the chassis pins.

Just be careful not to stretch your handbrake cable this way, make sure it's off before starting.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

S15DET wrote:It is frustrating.
Do this, use both nuts on one stud locked together in order to back the studs out of the rear cover of the diff. When teh studs are out of the way, the mustache bar will be free.
And when you reinstall everything, keep the studs out of the diff and use bolts to secure the bar to the diff case. Makes it easier to do this the next time. IIRC they're 12x1.5, but measure twice and all that.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
jonmorine

Post by jonmorine »

Great ideas guys. I will let you know how I make out.

Thanks again Realmers.
2009 Subaru STI
1969 Datsun 510
2009 VW Rabbit