Mikuni 44 on a ka24de

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
1970dime

Mikuni 44 on a ka24de

Post by 1970dime »

Is there anyone out there that has driven or owned a car with this set up was offered the chance to have this done to my engine before attempting to do the swap in my own 510 any pros or cons to carbs or FI?
Byron510

Re: Mikuni 44 on a ka24de

Post by Byron510 »

Read here: Just search. If you think of it, someone else has likely already done it!

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4712

Not only does Duke execute this very well, he did it all himself. Everything you could possible ask is in this thread.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

There is a dude on Ratsun selling a dual car setup for a single cam KA just to let you know.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
five&dime

Post by five&dime »

Same guy here on the realm too I thought

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12347
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

five&dime wrote:Same guy here on the realm too I thought

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12347
^Tis for the E.

Still, the intake side of things is the easy part. '70dime, what are you going to do about ignition?

No offense, but if you're asking us the pros and cons of EFI/carbs, stick with EFI.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

Okayfine is right, the ignition is the more difficult part. I got "lucky" and the motor set that I purchased had a franken-distributor already made. It is not the prettiest thing out there, but it does it's job for the moment. I am personally planning on converting to Ford EDIS with Megajolt in the future. Crank fire just seems to be the way to go.

As for the intake manifold, modifying a stock one is a fairly easy task, and I have seen a few that were well done. I have also seen a few ones that were custom made, and I know Troy Ermish makes a very nice one. I have also talked to him about distributors and I know he makes one using a EL dizzy.

So yeah, you can find the stuff to do it if you know where to look.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
zootowndime

Post by zootowndime »

I have also done this in my car. I am running 45 weber dcoes however, but same difference. As the last few have said, the ignition is the hardest part. Actually it is really just the dizzy that you need to get. Troy Ermish is the man to talk to about the dizzy. You send him in the stock ka24 dizzy and then an extra L series dizzy and he combines the 2 together. I forget the exact price but a quick call to him and he can tell you.

I really like this swap. It gives you a newer dual overhead cam motor, but still gives you the old school feel of carbs.
Alex King
www.brewedmotors.com
Benzo

Post by Benzo »

I have driven a car with a sohc KA and dual mikunis and it does haul ass. Troy ermish does make parts for this swap and are pretty nice. I like the cross flow of the head or the fact that the carbs are not on top of the header like L series motors. I am probably going to switch to this set up in the future when my Lseries motor goes. you will have to use a electric fuel pump as the ka has no provision to run a fuel pump like a L series.