Building A Datsun 2.3L Stroker

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
Diamond1

Building A Datsun 2.3L Stroker

Post by Diamond1 »

Hey guys, I came across this info on building a datsun 2.3L stroker Engine. The web site was http://www.newprotest.org/projects/510/jasonGray.pl. It stated that this is the way to do to get a 2.3L stroker engine:
Stroker 2.3 Liter
Stuff a Z24 crank into a modified Z20/Z22/L20B block by cutting down counterweights as above.
No piston modification or block boring needed for 2283cc L series.
see http://hobbslaw.nissanpower.com/custom2.html for an example
Russ noted that his deck height measured -1.77mm with the Z22E pistons that he first tried using, he eventually used milled Z22S pistons to achieve a higher compression ratio.
Parts: Z24 crank, Z22E pistons, Z22S/ L20B rods in a Z22 block or +2mm bored Z20/L20B block.
s/2+r+p= 96/2+145.9+32.1= 226.0 mm
piston deck height: -1.45mm below deck

What I'm Wondering is if what he stated is true and if anyone built a datsun 2.3L stroker engine, and if the facts are true, how mush of the counterweight do you cut off? What more would you have to do?

Anyone that can help me in this, I'll greatly be appreciated on this. Thank You.
510-Trevor
Supporter

Re: Building A Datsun 2.3L Stroker

Post by 510-Trevor »

Read thru this: (most of the links in the first few posts don't work, but the info is posted further down in the thread)
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=2887
1972 Yellow 4dr
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

Diamond1 wrote:What I'm Wondering is if what he stated is true and if anyone built a datsun 2.3L stroker engine, and if the facts are true, how mush of the counterweight do you cut off? What more would you have to do?
yes. / yes.
A LOT of material has to be removed to 'stuff it'. i went a different route after looking into it = LZ22
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Did I miss something .... again?? I more or less 'get' the piston/rod/crank mixing but the mention of cutting the crank throws always comes up short of describing what was done!!! I've referred to JG's page hundreds of times easily. Never found how the crank it trimmed.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
vintageracer
Supporter

Post by vintageracer »

I have seen 2 stroker engines built. The first one was an L20B crank for a L4 block. The block was notched and the crank was turned on a lathe. A German machinist did the crank and block. I was not there when he started working on the crank. He had to be very patient because of the irregularities on the crank throws. This engine ran for several years with no problems

I saw an engine builder do one with a large disk hand grinder. He chucked the crank up in the lathe and started polishing the throws. He turned the crank slowly as he smoothed the throws. He eventually knife edged the throws until they fit into the block.

You have to watch throws so that they do not interfere with the piston skirt. (Don't forget to make certain you have clearance on your pistons!)

One more mod... You must notch the block for the large ends (nuts/rod bolts) of the rods. Not much material but watch your clearance!

Both of these cranks were balanced as was the entire moving assembly.

You may not need these mods with different blocks, cranks and pistons. But, you must check these clearances to make certain you engine does not explode. It will also be very noisy. Heh, heh!
Pedro

Post by Pedro »

A friend just got one built for his 510 coupe, the engine builder was good enough to post up the progress as he built it;

http://performanceforums.com/forums/sho ... t=67240840

I think you'll find some good pics and info in there.