i need info and a trans.....

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
okayfine
Supporter

Re: i need info and a trans.....

Post by okayfine »

Ryan@CiNcity wrote:so im not having much luck trying to find the trans thats in the car. so now im looking for an original trans and driveshaft that would fit my KA motor. im located at 61021 and if anyone knows of any trans and driveshafts in the state of IL let me know asap.
You can typically have a 24-hour turn-around for a shortened driveshaft without special consideration (I dropped off then picked up a shortened driveshaft over consecutive jury-duty lunch periods).

A 12-pack might get you counter service if you call ahead.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Because you have a short tranny and the FS5W71(C) type is longer than even the (B) type you will have lots of d/s to spare 7-10".

Try the '76.5-90 D-21 with the Z24i motor and the' 90-'98 with the KA24E motor. After '98 the KA24DE was used ... the tranny was likely the same.
Also the '89-'90 240sx with the KA24E (long tranny about 35") and the '90-'98 with the KA24DE should be the same.

At some point the speedo cog drive was replaced with an electronic sender for speedometer... the old speedo drive from any '80 and newer should swap right in and work with your speedo cable.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
Ryan@CiNcity

Post by Ryan@CiNcity »

well guys i did fing a trans that we got all swapped in and now im just waiting on the driveshaft to be shortened. we called in a favor and should have it done in a few hours. i picked up the 16" version of the trans i had so we were able to use the same mounts and everything plus it has a hole for the speedo right below the shifter. so thats a bonus! i should have everything that is needed to get me back on the road this afternoon.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Ryan@CiNcity wrote:well guys i did fing a trans that we got all swapped in and now im just waiting on the driveshaft to be shortened. we called in a favor and should have it done in a few hours. i picked up the 16" version of the trans i had so we were able to use the same mounts and everything plus it has a hole for the speedo right below the shifter. so thats a bonus! i should have everything that is needed to get me back on the road this afternoon.
Good news.

If I may suggest, at some point in the near future you may want to take stock and write down everything that isn't stock on your car, so that you have a list of specific models and years for the various parts should you find yourself in a similar situation with a blown fuel pump or whatever. It'll take a while, but it will be handy to have down the road.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
James

Post by James »

okayfine wrote: If I may suggest, at some point in the near future you may want to take stock and write down everything that isn't stock on your car, so that you have a list of specific models and years for the various parts should you find yourself in a similar situation with a blown fuel pump or whatever. It'll take a while, but it will be handy to have down the road.
This is so critical - even if your car is not that modded. I keep a list in the glove box of potential donor cars for everything I can think of (distibutor, head, tranny, etc.) Sure makes it easier when trying to get parts - especially if you are out of your area.....
Finished is better than perfect......
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

James wrote:This is so critical - even if your car is not that modded. I keep a list in the glove box of potential donor cars for everything I can think of (distibutor, head, tranny, etc.) Sure makes it easier when trying to get parts - especially if you are out of your area.....
And vital if you weren't the person who put your car together. For buyers of swapped cars, this may be the first thing you should do. I need to go edit my Suggestions post...

And even if you did build the car...like I'm going to remember the interchange for the fuel pump I used ten years from now.