anyone know of a decent, QUIETER exhaust?

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
chongmang

anyone know of a decent, QUIETER exhaust?

Post by chongmang »

so i never in a million years would want a quiet car. But unfortunately am keeping my 510 at my apartment and dont want to be shot. Does anyone know of a decent, quiet exhuast that still doesnt have a tin can sound when its driving?
okayfine
Supporter

Re: anyone know of a decent, QUIETER exhaust?

Post by okayfine »

This gets asked a lot, but there are no off-the-shelf "exhausts" for the 510, so there's no answer to your question. Noise is a function of tube diameter and exhaust components. You want quieter, use smaller tubes and add resonators/bigger mufflers. Stay away from "turbo" mufflers.

"Quiet" is also a relative term. There are enough videos of 510s these days that you should be able to find one you like and ask the poster for the component list. Trouble is, most people don't care about having a "quiet" car, as that does end up sapping some performance. I tried for a good compromise as I didn't want my car as loud as my last car, and I succeeded, but my engine is probably different from yours (which we don't know).
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
merlin
Supporter

Post by merlin »

put a resonator on... stay away from "Thrush" or "Dynamax"... just go to a muffler shop and ask...
Merlin from Datsunhistory.com

"test mule? I don't need no stinkin' test mule... Bert Vorgon is my test mule"
chongmang

Post by chongmang »

cool, i have 2 inch piping to a flowmaster right now. Hopefully ill just get something to work better.
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

I am in the same boat. Headers, dual 44's, and 2 1/4" with Flomaster. And though a fair majority is intake roar, I am moving to the country and don't want the town to hear me coming from a mile and a half away. A resonator is in my future too, let me know what you come up with.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

chongmang wrote:cool, i have 2 inch piping to a flowmaster right now. Hopefully ill just get something to work better.
What size engine? Performance mods? That Flowmaster isn't going to help your "quiet" goal any.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

okayfine wrote:
chongmang wrote:cool, i have 2 inch piping to a flowmaster right now. Hopefully ill just get something to work better.
What size engine? Performance mods? That Flowmaster isn't going to help your "quiet" goal any.
Depends on the model flowmaster.

I do agree with merlin in that a resonator/pre-silencer could be a valuable addition. I also helps with the droning.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Perhaps - "Flowmaster exhaust systems and mufflers come with that distinctive "Flowmaster sound" available in mild, moderate and aggressive tones" but...
banzai510(hainz)

Post by banzai510(hainz) »

Find a 2 or better yet a 3 chamber turbo muffler like a Thrush muffler(turbo).
Dynomax sells them now and you can ck out the insides on the website. They have a sound ck also so you can hear it with different mufflers

These are the old common turbo mufflers
Walker
Thrush
Cherrybomb 2
maybe some others.
But you need one that fits in the 510 spot so its a small one. should be less than 35$ for this

Flowmasters are just LOUD or any other variation of them which are now many. I dont know why people get them.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

But "turbo" mufflers are also going to be loud(er). Their original application was the Corvair turbo and the makers counted on the muffling nature of the turbo compressor wheel, and so designed a muffler with less backpressure (unwanted on a turbo engine) which, as a general rule, allows more noise in the bargain.
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

chongmang wrote:Hopefully ill just get something to work better.
ive had performance exhaust (east ventura) do the exhaust work on my last 3 dimes.

very willing to give you what YOU want...
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
FlyingO

Post by FlyingO »

Add a resonator. My 510 with a Flowmaster was way too loud and the drone at highway speeds was so bad my wife would not ride with me. Resonator added--problem solved. By the way I am running an L20 with SUs and two inch exhaust and a mild cam. Yes intake noise is a problem but I can live with that.
dscn0894jpg
James

Post by James »

I would agree - my car with resonator is so much nicer than my other without.....add one...
Finished is better than perfect......
chongmang

Post by chongmang »

l18 with su's, the flowmaster is what is already on it. which is what is too loud. Ill try a resenator and see how it goes.
banzai510(hainz)

Post by banzai510(hainz) »

dump the FLOWMASTER if the added resonater dont work, then get a 3 chamber turbo with the resonator.
Then find a stock muffler if thats too much.