Help with fuel pump noise

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
MylilDime

Help with fuel pump noise

Post by MylilDime »

Hi Guys, i'm having a little problem starting the car. Went out tonight to start her up but it seems like she's out of gas, which she is not since i just pumped a full tank last week and haven't driven her since. I did notice this sound coming from the fuel pump (please click on the video above).

When the key is turned to the ON position, the pump seems to prime, but afterward it sounds like something is grinding. Does this mean that the pump is bad, clogged, needs a filter changed? I checked the relay and it's fine, will probably pull the fuel line out sometime this week to see if fuel travels through. But in the meantime, if you have an guesses or suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks in advnace.
okayfine
Supporter

Re: Help with fuel pump noise

Post by okayfine »

MylilDime wrote:will probably pull the fuel line out sometime this week to see if fuel travels through.
This is really the only thing you can do, and should be one of the first checks. The noise may be indicative of the brand/style of pump you're running, or it may be bad news. But in the end it either flows fuel or it doesn't. You didn't indicate what type of engine or carbs you have. It's pretty easy to check presence of fuel in most carbs - stock have fuel windows, SUs you can pull a line off the float bowl, etc.

You may also have a clog between the tank and the pump or between the pump at the engine. You may also have cracked fuel lines which suck air. You may have a clogged fuel filter. You may have a lot of other things as well, but without a more comprehensive post on your part, it's impossible to say. Once you establish flow, you'll need to verify pressure.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
MylilDime

Re: Help with fuel pump noise

Post by MylilDime »

I have a Bosch fuel pump for EFI on a L28et. Will report back once the test has been done