4 speed shifter location

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
Orama79

4 speed shifter location

Post by Orama79 »

I'm making my 1971 510 into a stock 4 speed. I got to make the hole for the shifter since my car used to be automatic. Can someone tell me the measurements from the firewall to the shifter and also how wide the hole should be. Thanx
datzenmike
Supporter

Re: 4 speed shifter location

Post by datzenmike »

I would never go that route. Too many variables, everyone measures differently, horizontal or slope distances are different, miscommunication and interpretation. Perhaps the distance forward of the floor crossmember where the fronts of the seats bolt into? Better to fit the transmission without the shifter and mark it yourself.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Might also suggest that if you're doing all the work of swapping it to a manual that you find a 5-speed.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

And don't forget that the rear brake line run pretty close to the proper hole location. been there and cut that
Orama79

Post by Orama79 »

Ok, in regards to the 5speed it's really hard to find one around my area or even a far drive. Found them online but too expensive. All the brake lines will be replaced and relocated , but thanx for the heads up. The car is completely stripped and motor and trans is out of car because new paint job was done. So that's why I wanted the measurement so I can do the hole and then get the floors painted inside and underneath after.
Orama79

Post by Orama79 »

Any translation in measurements will do, weather is from the seat rails forward or from the firewall back. If anyone has a picture of a floor with the hole exposed I can go by that too.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Orama79 wrote:Ok, in regards to the 5speed it's really hard to find one around my area or even a far drive. Found them online but too expensive. All the brake lines will be replaced and relocated , but thanx for the heads up. The car is completely stripped and motor and trans is out of car because new paint job was done. So that's why I wanted the measurement so I can do the hole and then get the floors painted inside and underneath after.
New Joyzee? Isn't Quick 510 in Maryland? Maybe he can find you one. Doglegs are the easiest to swap, the 71B is much more common but longer and needs the driveshaft shortened.

The dogleg was the standard trans on the '77-'79 200sx and a somewhat rare option on similar year A10s, while the 71B 5 speed was an option on the '77-'78 280z, '79 280zx, the 810, the '77-'79 620 and '80 720 truck. Standard equipment on the '80-'83 non turbo 280zx and the '81- '84 Maxima. So there are lots of them out there.

Either way, even switching to a stock 4 speed get's most of the heavy lifting out of the way.

Before I forget. All automatic crankshafts have a small spacer plate cap over the transmission end. This has to be pried off or the flywheel won't go on.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
Orama79

Post by Orama79 »

Ok thanx for info
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I took these measurements years ago from a front clip that Tyson had laying around. I know I took photos of kt, and I will find it for you.

After staring at the floor pan for some time, I felt the best referencing was the seal in the floor pan, where the fire wall meets the tunnel. I measured rearward from this point to the front of the shifter hole, and then took measurements of the hole itself. Let me look in the am for you.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Orama79

Post by Orama79 »

Ok , I'll be waiting lol. Thanx
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Orama79 wrote:Ok, in regards to the 5speed it's really hard to find one around my area or even a far drive. Found them online but too expensive.
I've shipped a 5-speed from CA to FL for ~$100 via UPS. I don't have any more, but they can be had here if Qwik510 happens to be out of stock :mrgreen:
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Orama79 wrote:Ok , I'll be waiting lol. Thanx
I have looked all over my computer - I do not know how I filed these photos. What I'm thinking I did was take the photo on my phone, and I often don’t archive these myself.

We'll see what I can do for you to get the stock location. I’ll get back to you tomorrow night.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
KoHeartsGPA

Post by KoHeartsGPA »

I coming to the point where I too will be cutting, any measurements taken?, if not I'll just mock up, mark, drill then cut :-)
Diego.