Supra Diff

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
BlackWidow

Supra Diff

Post by BlackWidow »

Hello all,

Recently I was talking to a gentlman about my 510 rally car and the subject came up aobt what diff i was going to use. I told him most likely a R180 LSD. He sugested i look into using a Diff from 87-93 Toyota Supra. I know very little about Diffs. From what i have been reading parts for the R180 LSD are getting hard to find (NOW I might be confusing that with something else). I really want to be able to put the ger set that I would complement the engine I have and from what i gather is that i might be able to do that easier with a toyota diff. I have looked at some pics of the Supra diff and can easily tell it is not a bolt iin swap. I am OK with that if i have a better aftermarket for parts? So with that all said what is the opinion on this subject? I am not sold on the idea I am just exploring different options. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.
1972 4dr 510 (Turbo KA24E build in progress)
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Re: Supra Diff

Post by PoorMtnKid »

Im not an expert on the whole diff area but the R180 I used was from an 04 Subaru STI. Now parts for an older R180 from the Z cars might be hard to find but the ones from the Subis are a dime a dozen. The car is not even 10 years old so the parts are there. This diff does bolt right in with no modifications needed to mount. However you will need to get adapters to bolt up the axels. Even with the adapters needed I would assume it would be much easier than re inventing the wheel with the Supra diff.
looking for pass. side arm rest
BlackWidow

Post by BlackWidow »

Thanks... I agree 100% i really just want to know that parts will be available. I will look for the Subie diff and get the kit for the axles. Thanks again I appreciate it. I am so close to getting my log book and really dont want to refabricate a bunch of stuff to fit a diff.
1972 4dr 510 (Turbo KA24E build in progress)
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Concur with PMK. Provided you can find your gear ratio in a modern Subaru WRX/STi diff, that would be the way to go. Parts will be available for a while, saves a TON of fab work to try to fit the Supra diff in.

R180LSD weren't fitted to any US Nissans, IIRC, and Subaru never used the old-style R180CLSD. There was one being offered for ~$500 or so here recently and I thought that was damn cheap. About that for the adapters, and slightly less again for a good diff...but it should last quite a while.

There are some DIY solutions for fitting the STi diff in the DQ back issues, if the $ or lead time on the Beta pieces is too much for you.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

Being that you are in Cali I would check these guys out.

http://www.usedsubieparts.com/

This is who I got my diff from. With shipping it was like 525 to Vegas. If your close you could prob just go down and grab one and save the shipping costs.
looking for pass. side arm rest
StrutlessWonder
Supporter

Post by StrutlessWonder »

BlackWidow wrote:Thanks... I agree 100% i really just want to know that parts will be available. I will look for the Subie diff and get the kit for the axles. Thanks again I appreciate it. I am so close to getting my log book and really dont want to refabricate a bunch of stuff to fit a diff.
Assuming you are happy with the 3.54 or 3.90 ratio choices...

The used Subie STi Diff in CLSD or Torsen are $300-600 all day long, and bolt up without any sig mods to tje 510 moustache bar, but you will need to mod the diff snout or remove it and bolt on a Nissan snout to fit it thru the crossmember hole.
Todd Walrich at Wolf Creek Racing sells his EMPI Type II CV kit plus CNC adapters the Beta Motorsport 27T stubs.
Or buy a DriveShaftShop 930cv-sized setup and have them make them with welded-on STi R180 27T inner stubs.
Then you pop them in and only have to bolt up the outer end of each side.

More here:
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=24386
and
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=23701#p194114
and
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=25652
Kurt Hafer
'70 2dr VG30et "Strutless Wonder"
RTB

Post by RTB »

Man if you had posted this about 4 months ago. I had a 5.13 ratio r190. Perfect for a rally car.