L16 timing?

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
tr6racer21
Supporter

L16 timing?

Post by tr6racer21 »

Ever since getting my most recent 4dr up and running I have been unhappy with its performance...slugish, no grunt, etc....I seem to remember my other 4dr stock L16 run much better.

The motor is set up as follows...stock L16, matchbox dist with vacuum advance disconnected, 32/36 weber, stock exhaust, premium fuel, NGK BPR6ES @ .040, valves adjusted, compression about 170 in all cylinders.

I was going after the carb set up as it was jetted just as they come from Weber for the small bore 4cyl.....but I thought that I better get all that I could from checking valve timing and spark timing first. The valve timing checked out to be spot on, and has somewhere along the way been moved to position (2) to compensate for chain stretch. The crank mark lines up with the (0) mark on the pulley...this one is on the battery box side of the motor...and the cam mark lines up with the notch...I then went to check the ignition timing...I found that according to the timing marks things were set about 10 deg BTDC. Using a vacuum gauge I reset the timing to where the engine ran the best and produced the most vacuum(20")...then rechecked the timing using an adjustable timing light. I found that the motor ran the best at about 30 deg BTDC with max advance well over 60 deg at about 3000-3500 rpm. I was worried about leaving the timing set there for fear of detonation, but it ran very well under load without any pinging. I have driven it every day for about a week setup like this.

Whats up with the timing marks? I am inclined to leave things set right where they are at the moment...it seems to run as I remember my other L16

Thanks
Byron510

Re: L16 timing?

Post by Byron510 »

tr6racer21 wrote:Whats up with the timing marks?
Low compression and good gas maybe? What does it start like advanced that much. You'd think the thing would try to kick back as well.

Interesting investigation.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
tr6racer21
Supporter

Re: L16 timing?

Post by tr6racer21 »

Starts fine, and runs well throughout the rev range...no diesel on shut off