Turbo weber 32/36 questions(blow through)

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
jwerty1

Turbo weber 32/36 questions(blow through)

Post by jwerty1 »

Read a lot over the last year or so and I have my carb tuned pretty well so far. I am running an inter cooled blow through setup through a top hat on my weber(not boxed in). Also I switched to e85 to avoid detonation. So my jet sizes are no where near gas jet sizes. However, when I tip into the throttle there is a pretty good lean spot. Cruising, idle, wot a/f ratios are about as good as it's going to get. Just wondering what I can do about the lean spot? I have gone up and down on idle jets etc, nothing seems to really change the tip in lean spot. Yes the accelerator pump is working. I have noticed that some acc pumps have nozzles to both primary and secondary, mine only has the primary nozzle. I have been through a lot of forums to dig up answers. Was wondering if keith law would have any tips.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: Turbo weber 32/36 questions(blow through)

Post by bertvorgon »

Your carb is "normal", only the primary squirts fuel.

There is a very rare 32/36 that squirts fuel out the secondary, based on a vacuum signal when the secondary opens.

I suspect that the E85 requires that the primary idle jet...and maybe the "shooter" jet for the accelerator pump, likely need to be drilled out.

I know on my blow-through I drilled out the nozzle for the accelerator pump jet. it is roughly a # 70, whereas stock is either a #50 or #60. So, you could do something tad bigger in relation to the density of the E85.

My primary idle jet is the #50 - 55, just depends on what I was doing.

I also have the Nitrofil float in there, as a precautionary measure to eliminate the brass float from possibly collapsing due to boost.

I do run my idle just a tad rich too, in my opinion, the Weber/510 engine likes that.

Hope that gives you some ideas.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
jwerty1

Post by jwerty1 »

I've pulled th shooter off before and wasn't sure of where the jet was so I just reinstalled it.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

The "jet" is the orifice size of the shooter, that is what we drilled out. There is no other flow control for that, just need a small pin vise for a small drill bit.

There will be a number stamped on the side of the shooter.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
jwerty1

Post by jwerty1 »

Another question for you.. I'm running e85, so I have to have at. Giver jets than gas. However I'm thinking of a larger turbo and my secondary main jet may only take 1 more drill but before I only have threads left. Any ideas? Obviously I'll see how it goes before I do anything. But, any advice for more fuel on the secondary? I'm already as rich as I can be on the primary side. Drill the jet hole to accept a larger jet?
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

You are at a point where the carb just may not flow more fuel. Way back in the 70's, a fellow came out with a turbo fiat x19, where he ended up just plain taking the secondary jet out, on his 32/36!

I actually ran a HUGE secondary jet in mine at one point, as I have a carb where the secondary venturi has been milled out, to increase air flow. My secondary jet was close to 3 MM also.

you could try drilling and tapping it out, I just wonder at what point the booster venturi flow will be the limiting factor.

You remind me of me, back in the 70's, when I was trying to get my car to be good in traffic, idle, then pull to 8,000 RPM in 5th. You may want to make sure the needle and seat is big enough too. The stock carb comes with a 2.0 MM seat, with a 2.5 available. I tracked down a needle and seat called a GROSE JET, which is 3.0 MM. I still may have it, I will take a look today in my stuff.

Have you dropped the air corrector jet down in size? That will richen things up also.

You need to make sure that the float level is not starting to drop, which would cause of course the start of leaning. I put two gauges in my car, one for fuel pressure, then one to monitor air pressure above the throttles. This let me see that the fuel pressure became equal with the air pressure, thus running out of fuel. You need to maintain that 3.5 PSI pressure differential. In my case it pointed out that although the pump showed lots of pressure, the VOLUME was not there, so my float level was dropping then leaning out and running out of fuel.

Some thoughts at any rate.
Last edited by bertvorgon on 18 Jun 2014 06:45, edited 1 time in total.

Keith Law
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

bertvorgon wrote:. My secondary was close to 3 MM also.
:shock: :shock:

"Lord Jesus......."

But I guess I should not be surprised. While following you in the past when you've stood on it while we were already doing 60mph, and you just vanished into the horizon in what seemed like mere moments... You need fuel with all that air to make HP.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Actually I ran a 3.17 MM secondary fuel jet at one point, I looked in jets as I looked for the Grose jet...which I cannot seem to find yet. Looks like they are not made any more.

Keith Law
510rob

Post by 510rob »

Grose Jets? ...who knew?!? ...you learn something new every day!

http://merakgroup.com/weber-needle-seat ... grose-jet/

this guy makes and sell them (scroll to the bottom of the page) --> http://www.citroen-sm.org/wiki/index.ph ... John_Titus
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

It was one of my many tricks to get the carb to do what it did/does. I must have bought that 30 years ago or so.

Keith Law
jwerty1

Post by jwerty1 »

The secondary air corrector is soldered shut. I do have a 2.5 needle and seat. Once I hav gotten the jet sized right I haven't had a leaning out issue and I've been to 18 psi so far and depending on the temp my a/f ratio is steady 10.5 to 11.5:1. So, I know my fuel pressure and volume is good at least before I go for the bigger turbo.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

It sounds like you have a handle on it at this point, the "bigger" turbo then will be the next big step...it was for me. I had beyond crazy top end speed and power.

Keith Law
jwerty1

Post by jwerty1 »

It's been a heck of a learning experience for sure. I'm currently a Nissan master tech, leaf and gtr certified. But I can't tell you how much research and trial and error this truck has been through. I've learned so much from this whole experience it's amazing.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Yup, books are one thing....nothing like the real world experience...at least your engine is still in one piece. Here in Vancouver, back in the 70's, more engines were blow up with turbo's on them , than you can imagine.....there was no knowledge base then...kind of a black magic world.

One of our friends is GTR certified also, just took a look at my G35 brake issue.

Keith Law
jwerty1

Post by jwerty1 »

I spun a bearing on the original motou(40 year old with 60k) then I rebuilt it an spun another bearing. I think the way I had my oil cooler plumbed was the issue. Now I bumped up to the l20 from the l18 with forged pistons and the higher compression and I couldn't be happier. Still though, in both motors I spun the bearings in there was no other major failure and there was little to no evidence of detonation