Trim-matic 3 speed on a KA24det

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
finn
Supporter

Re: Trim-matic 3 speed on a KA24det

Post by finn »

Julian, its the 3.7 Sub rear end. the saving grace to highway driving... keeps it around 3K rpm and with a steady foot, about 1lbs of boost.

Mike, both wastegate and BOV are spring loaded, boost operated. even a boost controller is limited to slight adjustments since the vacuum can only draw so much, compared to a 10lbs spring. I would have to get pretty high tech to keep boost out at specific times. manually operated bypass valve perhaps?... there is the option to move the MAF from a suck through(pre turbo) to a blow through, but it would need to be on the cold pipe IIRC and my cold pipe is a snake shaped foot long tube :( so considerably more fabrication required for even less space available. but if it helps the drivability...

Going with the lower gear transmission seems pretty feasible, just need a new mount, NBD. Does that 3N71B mate up the KA bell housing? I've read about its usage but having seen that being an issue.. back to reading. thanks guys
'69 2dr KA24DET
okayfine wrote:You could turn the car into a Transformer. Just a matter of money and talent. Front-hinge hood would be easier, but you still need money. And talent.
dislexicdime

Post by dislexicdime »

What about using a ebc . With my old school profect b I can adjust the gain so the turbo does not hit till later
L series only have one header!

i need another garage mine is full of part's
finn
Supporter

Post by finn »

are you using a MAP sensor or a MAF sensor? stand alone management or tuned ECU?

I'm using a MAF pre turbo so bleeding off boost pressure would have to be recirculated pre turbo, post maf, otherwise the excess fuel would flood the cylinders and bog down the engine. if I were using a MAP sensor, the engine would know that the atmospheric pressure has dropped and instantly decrease fuel supply. the lure of converting to a EMS and controlling everything at the tip of my fingers is outweighed by the cost and possibility/inevitability of complete system failure.

I miss my L20
'69 2dr KA24DET
okayfine wrote:You could turn the car into a Transformer. Just a matter of money and talent. Front-hinge hood would be easier, but you still need money. And talent.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

finn wrote:I miss my L20
Until you stand on it :mrgreen:
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
dislexicdime

Post by dislexicdime »

Maf it was on my starion I have not hooked it up to my sr yet
L series only have one header!

i need another garage mine is full of part's
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

I think by the time the KA was around the 3N71B as we know them was retired or into the next generation. If you put a Z series bell housing on (yes the bell is removable) it will bolt to the KA.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs