CV axle conversion questions

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
Jimmer84

CV axle conversion questions

Post by Jimmer84 »

So I finally broke an axle on the rally car. I guess its not too bad, 7 years of rallying on the same set of 40 year old axles.

To those of you who have done the CV axle swap, did you measure suspension travel before and after the swap? Anyone know if the CV's help travel?

Thanks!
Jim S.
Driver-Gravelspec Rallysport Datsun #510

www.facebook.com/gravelspec
okayfine
Supporter

Re: CV axle conversion questions

Post by okayfine »

All the info you want on CV axle conversions:
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9347

That said, I don't see how CVs would help travel. IMO the stock halfshaft would allow more travel because it is designed to telescope (somewhat) whereas the CV isn't really (any telescoping pulls the inner CV ball cage out of the center plane of the CV body).

CVs provide for a larger axle angle before introducing vibration, so it's good for lowered cars where the stock halfshaft outside ends point up more than a few degrees from horizontal.

CVs will be stronger provided you buy quality joints and axles. What broke on your stock piece?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

I agree, the axle must be "invisible" to suspension travel, and needs to be designed to freely accommodate the total expected suspension travel.
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

I measured travel before cvs. See below

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.ph ... el#p227616
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
Jimmer84

Post by Jimmer84 »

Thanks guys. I figured the length change would be a problem, especially in my case. The axle broke at one of the grooves for the ball bearings and continued around. I'll get a pic tomorrow. I guess ill be sticking with the stock axles then. Anyone know where you can still get axles?
Driver-Gravelspec Rallysport Datsun #510

www.facebook.com/gravelspec
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

All axles will be used. There was a very comprehensive rebuild documented here on The Realm, for any used set you end up with.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson