R160 gear swap

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
2DoorJim
Supporter

Re: R160 gear swap

Post by 2DoorJim »

Both are R160 I believe Byron. I had the covers off them to see what I had back when I was looking for an R180 diff for myself, and I recall measuring all five diffs I had sitting here.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Thanks for the confirmation Jim, I'll pass along that you have an older style 4.375 diff for sure. PM or post me what you think you'll want for it.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

I've started a reply here three times already, and killed each one because I have a lack of specifics. At one point I ordered a mid-2000s Legacy rear diff off eBay. This should have been an open R160. What arrived was not physically identical to the R160 case of my OE diff for Whitebird. It was not going to bolt up in any fashion except the prop shaft - the case was physically smaller.

I think toylet experienced something similar recently as he ordered a finned cover for a modern R160 and what arrived didn't fit his old-school unit.

Now, obviously the newer VLSD R160s use the old-size case since people have bolted them in to the 510. Why Subaru would produce a second R160 case, I have no idea - but I don't take drugs, so the above story did actually happen.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
2DoorJim
Supporter

Post by 2DoorJim »

Byron, I sent a PM with my info for the 4.375 diff.

Jim