Cable Linkage to SUs

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
TheHeretic
Supporter

Cable Linkage to SUs

Post by TheHeretic »

Picked up a new L20b and dogleg 5-speed for "Jessie" a few months ago which was supposed to come with a custom accelerator cable and connection to the stock gas pedal but after waiting more than two months for the previous owner to ship me the parts he forgot to include I am just moving on and will need to take care of it myself. Heard good things about the Lokar setup so ordered the 24" universal cable which arrived today. Hoping to post some pics and make sure I don't end up doing something silly with adapting it to my existing linkage. Searched quite a lot but still feeling like I have a few options. Much appreciation to any and all replies as I have been out of 510s for a while and never dealt with this type of issue before. Here we go...

Gas Pedal - Seems like the best idea is to drill out the stock ball joint and screw in the Lokar provided one. Any other suggestions?

Firewall Mount - This is where I need the most amount of help. I really don't want to drill any holes in the firewall but most solutions I see done involve a piece of medal drilled in the firewall. Would a couple large washers not be a fairly simple solution to anchor the part of the cable assembly to the firewall? Better ideas out there?

Connection to Manifold and SU Linkage - I think I have what is necessary here. Want just going to cut the wire as far down as possible and us the screw thingy (naive word) to connect it to the linkage which is how the previous owner connect the cable. Don't think there is a better idea right?
Carpe Diem!
Ryan
okayfine
Supporter

Re: Cable Linkage to SUs

Post by okayfine »

TheHeretic wrote:Seems like the best idea is to drill out the stock ball joint and screw in the Lokar provided one.
Agreed.
TheHeretic wrote:Would a couple large washers not be a fairly simple solution to anchor the part of the cable assembly to the firewall?
Assuming the Lokar bolts will sandwich the washers, I think your general idea is workable.
TheHeretic wrote:I think I have what is necessary here. Want just going to cut the wire as far down as possible and us the screw thingy (naive word) to connect it to the linkage which is how the previous owner connect the cable. Don't think there is a better idea right?
Here I'm not so much convinced. Your basic connection idea is fine, but that linkage cam doesn't look like the hot ticket. Generally you want to have cable pull over a radius. Your piece looks like you'll pretty much end up pulling that cable straight up and, at least from the photos above. The cable end point seems like it will be way out of line of the grey cable bracket when the cam is at mid point. I think you might find the actuation of the carb linkage to be less than smooth with the piece you have.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
zKars
Supporter

Post by zKars »

I've use the Lokar cables to make throttle cables on Z's for SU's and Triple carbs for years. I'm in the midst of doing on my 510 project as well with a similar SU setup, but I haven't really started it yet, so I'm not sure how some of my assumptions work on 510's. Overal layout of things look very similar. Here is what I've learned from doing all the Z's. I'm sure most of it applies.

Regarding the ball on the pedal arm, yes, remove it and use the lokar ball in its place. Your challenge in this area is mounting the cable to the firewall. The issue is the distance from the firewall to the pedal ball when it is at its closest point to the firewall (no throttle). That long end on the Lokar cable that snaps onto the ball is way too long.
There are three approaches.

-Shorten the end but that might mean some welding or fabrication.

-Create a mounting block to cover the firewall hole that has a thickness sufficient to move the mount point into the engine bay enough so that the end link is spaced correctly from the pedal. I've made about a 1" thick AL block with a 9/16 or 5/8 hole now quite all the way thru the back to accept the cable mount nut, and two small through holes top and bottom to screw the block to the firewall above and below the existing hole.

-Buy a different snap on ball end and make your own from Midwest control products http://www.midwestcontrol.com. These guys have the metric ball studs that identical to the stock Nissan ones, and their mating snap on female ends in several styles. The BSM-5-C is the 8mm ball stud and I've used the DMCBH-5 and QM5 mating ball ends soldered on to the end of the Lokar cable. That way you get a real short end so you can use simple washers at the firewall to mount the cable end. Lots of other cool linkage and cable fab stuff with these guys too.

Linkage the carb, seems like you're on the right track. That piece does seem to have a bit of quadrant/radius to it, just hard to see inside that slot. Mostly make sure the cable is tangential to the linkage arm through the majority of the travel. I'm a bit nervous with that cable mount making the cable come from the top like that. Will the cable arc above the manifold rub the hood? Have to keep th

What setup you use, ensure that cable at the pedal and carb ends go as straight into the cable sheath through most of the travel and it's typical-use range or risk wearing a groove in the sheath lining and eventually key-seating/jambing the cable in the sheath. No fun if you're in the middle of passing someone at 100+..... Lokar does not suggest any sort of lube, but like wheel bearing grease, I'm not sure you can put too much lube in there... This also becomes part of the yearly maintenance and inspection routine right?

I'll post up some pics if I can find some of what I've done in the past.
TheHeretic
Supporter

Post by TheHeretic »

Thanks for the quick replies! I agree that the bracket angle might not be ideal long-term so that is something to consider. I know it works at least ok since I drove the car with this bracket attached and the throttle felt great. Going to mock it up this weekend and see how the firewall issue will work out. Thinking of just throwing it on the L16 and getting that taken care of now so I know it will work with the L20b once I put that in.
Carpe Diem!
Ryan
SpudWhitman
Supporter

Post by SpudWhitman »

In the instructions I've seen, the clevis end you're wanting to cut the cable at to place into the set screwed barrel pull at your linkage cam is what they attach to the throttle pedal, and the end with the ball joint is placed at the carburetor. As provided by Lokar, is the cable secured with a set screw in the goldy brass coloured component? Their way you don't have a set screw holding the cable in at both ends, rather, you maintain the integrity of the (knot?) at the clevis end.

Curious, is all. I need to replace the frayed throttle cable in my car.
Snoop Dogg knows a fine Dime when he sees one.