Monkey Motion Shifter

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
tr6racer21
Supporter

Monkey Motion Shifter

Post by tr6racer21 »

Looking for some advice on a direction to repair or modify issues with the shifter play on an A type 5spd box. A little history: At the end of last years racing season I purchased a close ratio comp box with the early A style shifter assembly. The assembly has been modified in such a way that the upper pivot stud has been replaced with a bolt that adds play to the already loose lower clevis pin setup.
1) Are the upper pivot parts still available from Nissan or aftermarket?
2) what mods have been made to attend to the play from the lower clevis arrangement?
3) any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance for any help
datzenmike
Supporter

Re: Monkey Motion Shifter

Post by datzenmike »

"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

All I could do with mine was to replace bushing 8 with a solid aluminum one and pin 17. Both, as I recall, are available from Don Oldenberg DPR Racing.
zKars
Supporter

Post by zKars »

The solid bushing and pin replacement is 95 percent of the solution.

I also remember that the fork where pin#19 passes often becomes spread somewhat due to the slop and the retangular main shift rod end that passes thru it would be rounded over and then get progressively worse. I remember back in day I'd use a 1/4 bolt and nut in place of pin #19 and squeeze the fork back into tight contact. Use a self locking nut so you can tighten it just enough so the joint still has motion and will stay tightened.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I would think that the play between pin 17, it two mating surfaces and it's mating bushing 15 would need the most attention. I can't inform you on part availability, but you can always enlist the assistance of a machinist close to you and just get the bits made. The pins are likely available off the shelf, maybe McMaster Carr or another similar source. The bushings can be made out of brass or Oillite bronze material if you want something self lubricating.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
tr6racer21
Supporter

Post by tr6racer21 »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I was able to use a few pieces from Home Depot to get things tightened up for the time being. I'll snap a few photos in the morning and post