Oil Pump Install Question

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
Rush
Supporter

Oil Pump Install Question

Post by Rush »

I posted this question in my build thread, but I'm thinking this might be a better spot. Anyhow, I am having trouble installing the oil pump. I can't get it to seat.

I lined up the dimple on the shaft to the oil hole on the pump, the oil slinger thingie is on properly as far as I could tell from photos/books/videos I've seen, and the gear on the crank has the flat side facing forward (I slid it chamfered side first onto the crank).

The shaft goes almost all the way up, into the cover, faces the 11 o'clock-ish position and sticks out a bit where the distributor goes, but the pump doesn't seat against the front cover. I have Lubriplate on the gears. I don't want to force it, but is this resistance normal? I hate to tap it in & break a cog or something.

Any advice?
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Re: Oil Pump Install Question

Post by Three B's Racing »

Rush wrote:I posted this question in my build thread, but I'm thinking this might be a better spot. Anyhow, I am having trouble installing the oil pump. I can't get it to seat.

I lined up the dimple on the shaft to the oil hole on the pump, the oil slinger thingie is on properly as far as I could tell from photos/books/videos I've seen, and the gear on the crank has the flat side facing forward (I slid it chamfered side first onto the crank).

The shaft goes almost all the way up, into the cover, faces the 11 o'clock-ish position and sticks out a bit where the distributor goes, but the pump doesn't seat against the front cover. I have Lubriplate on the gears. I don't want to force it, but is this resistance normal? I hate to tap it in & break a cog or something.

Any advice?
The pump should slid right in. Sounds like you have an obstruction. Does the shaft rotate freely on the pump? is the shaft and drive gear what you were using before or is it an after market purchase? reason being is the pumps drive shaft and mating drive gear are a set as some of these components are different and cannot be mixed. Will the pump seat without the shaft on it? The crank gear flat side is protruding away from the gears teeth and you could see the timing chains timing dimple right? if not its backwards The slinger should be facing away from the pumps drive gear otherwise the pumps shaft gear will hit against it keeping it from seating.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

The slinger could be the problem. BTDT. You mention it is "on properly" but not which orientation you have it installed.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
zKars
Supporter

Post by zKars »

Also don't be afraid to rotate the shaft 1/2 tooth either way to see if it will seat. At this point, as mentioned above, you are trying to determine if you CAN get it to seat at all. Does sound like the slinger is backwards.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Lou's advice to try the pump itself, no shaft, will be key.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

The pump goes right on without the shaft. I've tried to go a tooth either way to get the gears to engage, then also some random turns to rule out a burr or something. The pump, shaft and gear are all the components that were on the engine before and worked together. The shaft does rotate in the pump, I can feel little points of minor resistance, but I'm guessing that's just it pumping.

The easiest way I can explain the orientation of the parts is a quick diagram I made:

Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Well, I got it. I took the front cover off and double checked everything. It all looked right, but for S&G, I flipped the slinger thinger. I put the cover back on with a couple bolts and bingo, it went together. I must have misunderstood all the slinger thinger descriptions, I dunno. Oh well, it works.

Now, does this look right?
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

11:30. Yes.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Glad you have the problem solved. That woul dseem to me to be an easy error to make regarding the slinger orientation.

As a side note- I have never run this oil slinger on any of my engines.
When I was quite young and building my first L motor, a local racer (and frien of dear Ole dad) told me that he omitted the slinger on his track 510 motor and never saw any issues with oil seepage. So I didn’t install it on that motor or any of the various motors I have assembled since. I have never experienced an oil leak at the crank. I guess it could happen, but I've been good without the slinger.

Just FYI - I've generally run Fel-Pro gasket sets on all my front covers and seals in case someone was going to ask.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

I thought about omitting it, too. Sounds like it'd be ok either way. Good to know.

Thanks for the help, guys. Much appreciated. :)
Three B's Racing
Supporter

All right Rush!!!! Nice job glad you got it to go.

I will now celebrate with a song and brew!!!
Attachments
Bass n beer.jpg
Bass n beer.jpg (294.82 KiB) Viewed 4329 times
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

LOL! Excellent!! I did the same! Except the only bass I play is on the radio. ;)
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Rush wrote:LOL! Excellent!! I did the same! Except the only bass I play is on the radio. ;)
Been playing since `72. The wife bought me that "Bass Guitar for Dummies" in the back ground as a joke but it does have great info. Hey as long as it's playing right? Driving to North Carolina 10pm 5/9/15 and will be there for 510 day 5/10/15 at my buddy Keith's. Then leave for Qwik510's house on the 12th then Summit Point Thursday the 14th. I love driving the 510 those long distance drives "Its Fun!!

Lou
- John Lennon