Engine Swap Help

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
timmer510

Engine Swap Help

Post by timmer510 »

Just curious if there is anyone that has any information on a shop/person that can provide a kit to install the Honda F20C engine into the 510. I would need mounts, wiring harness mod along with the dash cluster. I need this to be as much plug and play as possible. Mounts for both tranny and engine are priority one as other pieces can be done on my end but time is not something I have lots of so prefer to spend it enjoying my ride, which is why I want to go this route. Love my 2.3L L series but the S200 engine is kind of the modern day L series with the TC-16 and would provide the best of both worlds in my opinion. I know not everyone loves the idea of going down the F20C road but I do, so looking for some information/parts for doing the swap.

Thanks
okayfine
Supporter

Re: Engine Swap Help

Post by okayfine »

No fit kits exist for the F20C/510.

Good shops can do just about anything, but it's cubic dollars.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
timmer510

Post by timmer510 »

Thanks I know, I am looking for some information on a shop that can do it if anyone knows of one. Ermish is not into that kind of thing. Lots of SR stuff out their but would prefer to go the hot screaming small block route.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Your OP asks for information about providing a kit.

Your double post talks about raiding someone's failed swap. I've seen three or four F20C510 swaps, none were feats of engineering. And there's still lots to do to the chassis that can't be swapped over.

If you're looking at Troy, have you contacted Specialty Engineering?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
timmer510

Post by timmer510 »

Sorry my anti-virus is doing something weird so the reason it posted twice. I think I talked to Specialty about someting a while back but will give them a shout on this. Not really looking for an exsisting kit but someone to build the mounts etc. Actually the swap is pretty complicated especially if you want to run it as stock as you have to swap pedal set, gauge cluster along with all the wiring. Not sure if an aftermarket ECU can help out on this or not. I may go the twin weber route but then would have to set up a switch for the Vtech which is ok, but not the best in my opinion. But thanks I will call specialty this week and see what they have to say.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Not only the things you mentioned, but that transmission is HUGE and needs a new doghouse, and you lose your heater box (or the room for it anyway).
timmer510

Post by timmer510 »

thanks, I did not know about the heater box, something to consider for sure, I know the transmission is a bit heavier but did not think about the size being an issue.

Thanks

Tim
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

I've seen a few pics of an f20c build somewhere on the web. Pretty extensive swap due to the electronics (needs factory cluster/wiring to run stock ECU). I remember seeing pictures of a nearly nonexistent front crossmember on the web.

Good luck searching.
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
timmer510

Post by timmer510 »

Thanks for the info. Hopefully I can get this one done. I am going to have my buddy do some initial measurements and take a look at what needs to be done and see what he thinks. when I get this going I will post some pics.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

I'd love to read through a documented F20C510 build!
timmer510

Post by timmer510 »

Whatever I decide to do I will try to fully document it as it is nice to have a record for myself along with providing as much information as possible to those wanting to go down the same road.