Engine Swap Help

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
timmer510

Engine Swap Help

Post by timmer510 »

Just curious if there is anyone that has any information on a shop/person that can provide a kit to install the Honda F20C engine into the 510. I would need mounts, wiring harness mod along with the dash cluster. I need this to be as much plug and play as possible. Mounts for both tranny and engine are priority one as other pieces can be done on my end but time is not something I have lots of so prefer to spend it enjoying my ride, which is why I want to go this route. Love my 2.3L L series but the S200 engine is kind of the modern day L series with the TC-16 and would provide the best of both worlds in my opinion. I know not everyone loves the idea of going down the F20C road but I do, so looking for some information/parts for doing the swap.

Thanks
RonM
Supporter

Re: Engine Swap Help

Post by RonM »

Did you try Googling for this "kit"? If you had, you'd find no off the shelf parts exist for a Honda F20C swap into a 510. Nothing about that swap is "plug and play". Put your money time and effort into your L2.3 and enjoy your ride.
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
timmer510

Post by timmer510 »

Thanks for the internet Tip. Pretty sure I know how to use it that is why I am reaching out to the 510 community to see if anyone has information on a shop that has 510 experience that can pull this off. Ermish is not into this kind of thing but he did mention there was someone that apparently smoked their 510 but did have all the S2000 pieces in their 510 and was looking to sell but he did not have their contact information. So again any information/tip on a shop that can do this type of thing would be great. I love the 2.3L but is is not the long term swap I really want and prefer to not go with an SR or VG swap if possible.
timmer510

Post by timmer510 »

Thanks for the internet Tip. Pretty sure I know how to use it that is why I am reaching out to the 510 community to see if anyone has information on a shop that has 510 experience that can pull this off. Ermish is not into this kind of thing but he did mention there was someone that apparently smoked their 510 but did have all the S2000 pieces in their 510 and was looking to sell but he did not have their contact information. So again any information/tip on a shop that can do this type of thing would be great. I love the 2.3L but is is not the long term swap I really want and prefer to not go with an SR or VG swap if possible.
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

timmer510 wrote:Thanks for the internet Tip. Pretty sure I know how to use it that is why I am reaching out to the 510 community to see if anyone has information on a shop that has 510 experience that can pull this off. Ermish is not into this kind of thing but he did mention there was someone that apparently smoked their 510 but did have all the S2000 pieces in their 510 and was looking to sell but he did not have their contact information. So again any information/tip on a shop that can do this type of thing would be great. I love the 2.3L but is is not the long term swap I really want and prefer to not go with an SR or VG swap if possible.
I think (NOMB) you should put together a shop and do it yourself! Best and cheapest way to get it done. IMO
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

Dang Joel, that's a great video. Now I want to do an F20

No disrespect Timmer. A bunch of people ask questions before doing their own research. You are asking about a "kit to install the Honda F20C engine into the 510", and you what it to be as "plug and play as posable". It sounded like you hadn't looked to see what was involved with a project like this. I haven't done one myself, but I know it's not common, or easy. Did you check, Ratson. there are guys there who've done it.
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
timmer510

Post by timmer510 »

No worries RonM, A buddy of mine that builds and races pro-4 race cars in Ontario uses the S2000 engines and really got me hooked on doing the swap over a year ago. I would have him do the whole thing but he is almost 70 so not really looking at doing all the work at this point in his life. I had a line on a guy with the mounts for the engine/trans and a header but that did not work out. I know that McKinny uses a 510 test mule for some of their stuff so maybe they could but just wondering if anyone knew of a shop or person that could make or had made up pieces for the swap. The big problem with the swap is that the instrument cluster and pedal set have to be swapped, so basically you need a wrecked S2000 to get all the pieces you need, in if you want to go the FI route. I may go the twin Weber route and use a crank-trigger and put in a switch to engage the Vtech, same as my friend that races does, but would really like to go the fuel injected route. So again if anyone has a contact etc. let me know. But I will check on Ratsun as well.

Thanks

Tim
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

510-Trevor
Supporter

Post by 510-Trevor »

Tim, you may need to consider using multiple vendors to get this done. One to supply the parts from a wrecked S2000. Another to clean up the harness to make it easier to retro fit into an older car. Then take the parts and the car to a Datsun shop like Whitehead Performance up in North York to get it all installed.
I would expect that there has to be at least a few Toyota specialty shops in southern Ontario that could do the first two for you, just tell them that you are putting it in an old Celica LOL.
1972 Yellow 4dr
timmer510

Post by timmer510 »

Thanks 510-Trevor, I do have one guy I am going to talk to up in Chilliwack BC that built my 2.3L for me and see if he has a test mule that he can use to put some of the pieces I need together. Whitehead is an option but he is not cheap, but an option for sure.

Thanks

Tim