What bearing and collar do I use

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
That4doorKiD

What bearing and collar do I use

Post by That4doorKiD »

I have a 68 510 L-16 motor with it's pressure plate + clutch

I swapped a dogleg 5 speed in there using the dogleg tranny bearing and collar, and I was getting this nasty sound like something was rubbing or scratching, my dad thought it was the trowout bearing, could have been.

What bearing or collar do I use in this swap?
68 4doorFanatic
SteveEdmonton
Supporter

Re: What bearing and collar do I use

Post by SteveEdmonton »

The standard answer to this is, use whatever bearing and collar matches the clutch. It doesn't matter what transmission-- or motor-- you're putting all of this together with, it's the clutch that's the key. So if you're using the clutch from your L16, you should use that same TO bearing and collar. And hopefully that should scratch your scratch! :D
'71 4-door
'74 MGB-GT
'04 Miata
That4doorKiD

Post by That4doorKiD »

SteveEdmonton wrote:The standard answer to this is, use whatever bearing and collar matches the clutch. It doesn't matter what transmission-- or motor-- you're putting all of this together with, it's the clutch that's the key. So if you're using the clutch from your L16, you should use that same TO bearing and collar. And hopefully that should scratch your scratch! :D
Thanks! :P finally i get an answer and a straight forward one!
68 4doorFanatic
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Can't go wrong with the bearing (always replace) and bearing collar that was matched to your L16 clutch. The dogleg was also used with a 200mm clutch on the S10 and A10 and it should work. The bearing is likely bad and should ALWAYS be replaced.

Compare the two bearing collars for length. I'm curious how close they are.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs