Valve Springs with WebCam 91

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
Chickenman

Re: Valve Springs with WebCam 91

Post by Chickenman »

All joking aside. The " current " discussion ( get the pun ) about high voltage Ignition systems brings up a valuable lesson.

My Dad was a TV technician and taught me at a very early age about the dangers of High Voltage circuits stopping your heart. He taught me to only handle live circuits with your right hand and keep your left arm tucked behind your back. NEVER let your left arm be a conductor pathway to ground.

I was doing the old " screwdriver in a Spark Lead " test on my Camaro with a Crane H-6 CD Box and LX-92 coil. Serious voltage and current there.

Short story... pulled screwdriver back a bit too far.. and those electrons decided it was easier to jump through the insulated screwdriver handle, down my right arm and down both legs to the ground. I just saw a Blast of Stars.... and the next thing I knew I was flat on the ground, with a burn hole in my thumb and my right arm and both legs locked in spasm's. My thighs and right arm ached for two days after that.

If I had been holding that screwdriver in my left hand, or my left hand had been touching the car, I'm quite sure it would have stopped my heart.

All modern electronic ignition systems have enough voltage and current to stop your heart. Even the Primary sides can be over 450 to 500 volts. So be careful Ladies and Gents!!
Last edited by Chickenman on 22 Oct 2015 14:56, edited 3 times in total.
Chickenman

Post by Chickenman »

Dumbest thing was that I had a spark plug gap tester... just didn't bother going into basement and grab it from Toolbox. Never again!!
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

Chickenman wrote:All joking aside. The " current " discussion ( get the pun ) about high voltage Ignition systems brings, up a valuable lesson.

My Dad was a TV technician and taught me at a very early about the dangers of High Voltage circuits stopping your heart. He taught me to only handle live circuits with your right hand and keep your left arm tucked behind your back. NEVER let your left arm be a conductor pathway to ground.
Ah, the old "one hand rule",every old school electronic technician was taught that the first day. I wonder if they still teach the rule today?
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

I am no electrician but I am trained to work on 1000v or less motor control circuits. It's the amperage that will do you but they both play a part of the suck. 15-23mA is a painful shock with loss of muscular control and other bad stuff. 100-200mA Ventricular fibrillation, death likely, 500mA (0.5amps) Heart Muscle ceases, severe tissue and organ burns, cardiac arrest and probable death. So 1/2 an amp can do you in, 1/2 an amp. Never ever handle live circuits you kidding me? you are always a path to ground unless you can fly like Tinker Bell. I'd get tossed at this Nuke Plant if caught with a live wire in my hand, Out the door no return. If you must work on an energized circuit make sure you're wearing the proper Protective Equipment that's all, It could save your life.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
abisel

Post by abisel »

Ok, I am in the head assembly stage of the newly machined head with all new valve seats, springs, SI stainless valves, rockers and lash pads. I have installed 0.015 shims under the cam towers and got the cam height back up to within specs.

The valve springs are stock with stock retainers and keepers. I have done a rocker wipe pattern test using 0.16 lash pads and all wipe patterns are centered. WooHoo!

My question is this: With the stock spring retainers, the 0.16 lash pads stick up above the retainers about 1/3 the height of the lash pad. Will this configuration be ok or should I get new retainers which will allow the 0.16 lash pads to sit lower (not below) the top edge of the retainers?

Thanks
Three B's Racing
Supporter

abisel wrote:Ok, I am in the head assembly stage of the newly machined head with all new valve seats, springs, SI stainless valves, rockers and lash pads. I have installed 0.015 shims under the cam towers and got the cam height back up to within specs.

The valve springs are stock with stock retainers and keepers. I have done a rocker wipe pattern test using 0.16 lash pads and all wipe patterns are centered. WooHoo!

My question is this: With the stock spring retainers, the 0.16 lash pads stick up above the retainers about 1/3 the height of the lash pad. Will this configuration be ok or should I get new retainers which will allow the 0.16 lash pads to sit lower (not below) the top edge of the retainers?

Thanks
.053" above the retainer is fine. With all stock springs and retainers I'm assume your going to stay stock so you are good to go!!
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
abisel

Post by abisel »

Three B,

All is stock except the cam, dual 40DCOE, the intake valves are 43mm instead of 42, and the intake ports enlarged to match the gasket and Canon manifold. The cam is as described at the beginning of this thread. A mild WebCam 91. Do you think I should change the stock springs to something else? Discussion is that the stock springs should be ok.
abisel

Post by abisel »

Got the head on the block and timing chain installed.

Thought I would show a couple pictures:
Attachments
IMG_20151115_145518684-1.jpg
IMG_20151115_145518684-1.jpg (412.22 KiB) Viewed 3402 times
IMG_20151115_145704362-1.jpg
IMG_20151115_145704362-1.jpg (506.61 KiB) Viewed 3402 times
IMG_20151115_145642972-1.jpg
IMG_20151115_145642972-1.jpg (425.29 KiB) Viewed 3402 times
Three B's Racing
Supporter

abisel wrote:Three B,

All is stock except the cam, dual 40DCOE, the intake valves are 43mm instead of 42, and the intake ports enlarged to match the gasket and Canon manifold. The cam is as described at the beginning of this thread. A mild WebCam 91. Do you think I should change the stock springs to something else? Discussion is that the stock springs should be ok.
Agreed that the stock springs with a .450 lift will be fine.
- John Lennon