Nismo L4 head gasket blank coolant passage,

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
Hakosuka510

Nismo L4 head gasket blank coolant passage,

Postby Hakosuka510 » 28 Jan 2016 00:11

Does anyone know exactly why the Nismo L4 head gasket (11044-A7651) is blank where the elongated, square, rear coolant passage is in the head and block? Every other L4 head gasket I have (and I have many) has that passage cut out but the Nismo gasket completely blanks it off...which I really don't like. :?

EDIT: Interesting, my Kameari metal L4 head gasket is blank where that passage is as well, as well as the coolant holes on the spark plug side being smaller than those on the manifold side. Still, I'd like to know why that passage is blocked off with both gaskets.

Byron510

Re: Nismo L4 head gasket blank coolant passage,

Postby Byron510 » 28 Jan 2016 05:05

Flow between the block and the head is essential. On early LZ Frankenstein motors, it was noted that the lack of flow between the block/head was causing scuffing of the Pistons along the spark plug side of the block. This lead to the universal copying of the L series 2x 5/16" or 8mm holes being drilled into the NapsZ block to improve water flow. And when using a NapsZ head gasket in order to get the bore size, the corresponding holes and trapezoidal hole at the back of the head always got punched out of the gasket to maximize water flow between the two.

So if you have the gasket, get a punch set and a hard piece of wood or aluminum plate, trace out the location and punch the nessesary hole into the head gasket is what I'd recommend.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.

Hakosuka510

Re: Nismo L4 head gasket blank coolant passage,

Postby Hakosuka510 » 31 Jan 2016 13:57

Yeah, that's my opinion at this point as well. I've looked at the coolant passage routes and I can't see anything positive to be gained by blocking the trapezoidal/kidney shaped rear hole. If it was only the Kameari gasket that was like this, I would assume it was for getting the engine temp up quickly on drag only applications since Kameari does a lot of drag oriented stuff, but the fact the Nismo gasket is the same way just baffles me...

Return to “Powertrain”