720 transmission length? appears to be the same length as the 510 4 speed?

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
icehouse

720 transmission length? appears to be the same length as the 510 4 speed?

Post by icehouse »

Why does it seem to measure the same length as the stock 510 4 speed? Why haven't I heard of this before? Datsun Mike? With a simple bell swap couldn't it be swapped into a 510 without a shortened driveline?
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
Byron510

Re: 720 transmission length? appears to be the same length as the 510 4 speed?

Post by Byron510 »

I had an 83 720 4x4 within is short transmission. I know it was a PITA because I bought the truck with a broken transmission - missing teeth on the reverse gear. Thinking it was an easy fix, I paid for the truck and drove it home. Only then did I find out that this transmission was not so common. Used only in the short box 4x4's from late 83 to 85. But not all 83-85 4x4's had this transmission. Both long and short tail transmissions utilized the same non-married transfer case. The shorter transmission model simply used a longer driveshaft to compensate.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
datzenmike
Supporter

Re: 720 transmission length? appears to be the same length as the 510 4 speed?

Post by datzenmike »

The 4x4 uses the transfer case to drive the speedometer so in almost all cases the shorty 5 speed does not have the speedometer pinion sleeve drilled out in the case. I have one from an '83 4x4 KC (short bed). Yes any L series front case can be swapped onto these short 5 speeds to convert them to L engine use. However, (always a catch)... any shorty made after '84 probably has the larger 62mm counter bearing, not the earlier 56mm one. Any L series front case will only fit the smaller 56mm counter bearing. Just pull the 62mm off and buy a new 56mm one for it.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs