Spray bar required with Comp cams?

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
Benny
Posts: 76
Joined: 07 Sep 2008 23:06
Location: San Diego, CA

Spray bar required with Comp cams?

Postby Benny » 25 Apr 2016 19:34

I see that Comp list their cans as "solid" core. Does that means they don't have the provisions for oil feed to the lobes, and require a spray bar?

User avatar
510wizard
Supporter
Posts: 1006
Joined: 12 Sep 2005 09:50
Location: Reno, Nevada

Re: Spray bar required with Comp cams?

Postby 510wizard » 26 Apr 2016 07:18

Yes, and most high lift, long duration cams require a spray bar even if it has a drilled core (which is plugged for spray bar use).

Benny
Posts: 76
Joined: 07 Sep 2008 23:06
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Spray bar required with Comp cams?

Postby Benny » 26 Apr 2016 12:29

510wizard wrote:Yes, and most high lift, long duration cams require a spray bar even if it has a drilled core (which is plugged for spray bar use).


Interesting. Since my original post, I've found several discussions on-line where people with 240 and 260z's have received Comp cams that are internally oiled.

Have you used a Comp cam for an L18/20 yourself, and seen it plugged? Most of their grinds are not really high lift or long duration.

Three B's Racing
Supporter
Posts: 1009
Joined: 03 Mar 2009 11:58
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Spray bar required with Comp cams?

Postby Three B's Racing » 27 Apr 2016 05:38

Benny wrote:
510wizard wrote:Yes, and most high lift, long duration cams require a spray bar even if it has a drilled core (which is plugged for spray bar use).


Interesting. Since my original post, I've found several discussions on-line where people with 240 and 260z's have received Comp cams that are internally oiled.

Have you used a Comp cam for an L18/20 yourself, and seen it plugged? Most of their grinds are not really high lift or long duration.


Sounds like your cam was ground from a billet which do not have internal oiling.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon

Benny
Posts: 76
Joined: 07 Sep 2008 23:06
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Spray bar required with Comp cams?

Postby Benny » 27 Apr 2016 08:07

Three B's Racing wrote:Sounds like your cam was ground from a billet which do not have internal oiling.


Who are you talking to? I don't have a cam....I'm asking a question about one.

User avatar
510wizard
Supporter
Posts: 1006
Joined: 12 Sep 2005 09:50
Location: Reno, Nevada

Re: Spray bar required with Comp cams?

Postby 510wizard » 27 Apr 2016 09:27

Benny wrote:
510wizard wrote:Yes, and most high lift, long duration cams require a spray bar even if it has a drilled core (which is plugged for spray bar use).


Interesting. Since my original post, I've found several discussions on-line where people with 240 and 260z's have received Comp cams that are internally oiled.

Have you used a Comp cam for an L18/20 yourself, and seen it plugged? Most of their grinds are not really high lift or long duration.


240/260s from the factory are externally oiled (spray bar), so if the Comp Cams 6cly are gun drilled then they would have to be plugged to use in the stock configuration (plugged in the sense that # 2 cam journal in 4 cly L-series, which supplies oil for internal cam oiling is plugged, not sure what journal in 6 cly L-series, my schooling is in 4 cly) I think that Nissan used a spray bar(6 cly) because the outer lobes/journals didn't get enough oil on such a long cam. There is too much oil loss if you try to use both spray bar & internal oiling. I haven't used Comp Cams (4cly) , but if they are regrinds on a stock core, then they are internally oiled especially if not high lift/long duration. Usually the cam manufacture will state when a cam needs to be externally oiled. Racer Brown did redrill the cam lobes for better oiling on his street cams. I drill out the oil jet to a bigger size in the block to increase the oil for the cam/journals on my street builds.

Three B's Racing
Supporter
Posts: 1009
Joined: 03 Mar 2009 11:58
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Spray bar required with Comp cams?

Postby Three B's Racing » 28 Apr 2016 05:15

Benny wrote:
Three B's Racing wrote:Sounds like your cam was ground from a billet which do not have internal oiling.


Who are you talking to? I don't have a cam....I'm asking a question about one.


Sorry Benny I was talking about your original post but put it in the wrong one :lol: "I see that Comp list their cams as "solid" core. Does that means they don't have the provisions for oil feed to the lobes, and require a spray bar? So I'll change my statement. Sounds like Comp Cams grinds their cams from billets"

There,,, :D
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon

Benny
Posts: 76
Joined: 07 Sep 2008 23:06
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Spray bar required with Comp cams?

Postby Benny » 29 Apr 2016 10:09

Three B's Racing wrote:Sorry Benny I was talking about your original post but put it in the wrong one :lol: "I see that Comp list their cams as "solid" core. Does that means they don't have the provisions for oil feed to the lobes, and require a spray bar? So I'll change my statement. Sounds like Comp Cams grinds their cams from billets"

There,,, :D


I just an email back from Comp. They tell me that the "Solid" note refers to the style of lifter (solid vs hydraulic), and that their cams are internally lubricated.

I bought an Isky cam years ago, but I'm kinda thinking 280* duration on a daily driver might get a little old.

Canadian510
Posts: 236
Joined: 29 Sep 2013 14:02
Location: Fredericton, NB

Re: Spray bar required with Comp cams?

Postby Canadian510 » 30 Apr 2016 19:45

I have 306 duration and 530 lift on my car and don't find it too bad. Helps that I keep it idling around 1000rpm to keep enough oil sprayed on the cam though.

User avatar
defdes
Supporter
Posts: 4958
Joined: 12 May 2005 14:45
Location: Vermont

Re: Spray bar required with Comp cams?

Postby defdes » 01 May 2016 03:40

Yeah,I had a 280/510 cam and it was totally fine for street.

User avatar
bertvorgon
Supporter
Posts: 9837
Joined: 04 Aug 2003 20:45
Location: White Rock, B.C. Canada

Re: Spray bar required with Comp cams?

Postby bertvorgon » 01 May 2016 05:59

I concur that we should be keeping our idle at 1,000-1,100 RPM at idle when you have a non stock cam and spray bar installed. If you still let the cam oil itself and then install a spray bar, you have basically a bigger leak in the oiling system, so the pressure drops at idle. Even with my high volume oil pump, we put a thin shim in there to bring the pressure up. Ever more so if you also have a turbo installed, as that is an even bigger draw for the oiling system.

And, as I say many time before, whatever spray bar someone buys..CHECK THE SPRAY PATTERN BEFORE you install it.

We have seen burrs left in the drilling process and the oil sprays everywhere but on the cam lobe.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

1973 2Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1968 Vintage 3HP Mini Bike
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer


Return to “Powertrain”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests