Throttle Linkage Help

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
ctdavid73510

Throttle Linkage Help

Post by ctdavid73510 »

The Datsun 510 I just acquired has an L20 with dual SUs the carb linkage is there but the throttle linkage is incomplete. I'm hoping to get some help on what I need to convert to cable. Not sure what I need and how to connect it to the gas peddle. Sources and pictures would be helpful to me as well. Thanks for any help you can provide.
James

Re: Throttle Linkage Help

Post by James »

You can use the stock linkage pieces to make that work as well....
Finished is better than perfect......
ctdavid73510

Post by ctdavid73510 »

Hi James.. I'm thinking about that as well. However the angles don't look right and I'm concerned about the slop the stock linkage gets.
James

Post by James »

While I've seen it without, the piece that mounts on the firewall can have a pivoting ball, which helps with the angle. There was a guy who did a nice write up on here about relocating the piece on the firewall, which corrects the angle. If I can find it - I'll post it.
ctdavid73510

Post by ctdavid73510 »

Thanks. I would be interested in the post if you locate it
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

DQ Volume 11 Issue 2 - Tech How-To: SU Linkage Bracket — Plans for building a small bracket to correct the alignment of the throttle linkage when using SUs on an L20B.

No real go-to setup to convert to cable. It's all mix-n-match. Might also search for the old NISMO SU linkage kit - used to be a bargain at $20, probably is NLA anymore, but: 99996-D1110

Pictures of what you have so we can see what you're missing would help.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
ctdavid73510

Post by ctdavid73510 »

Hopefully a couple of pictures attached
[img[Imageurl=http://s1174.photobucket.com/user/ctdav ... f.jpg.html]Image[/url]][/img]

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

You need a new firewall mount bracket, 'cause your's doesn't have the bushing for the throttle rod. Looks like you may also have a longer throttle-rod-to-turn-buckle rod, but it's a bit hard to say without everything connected.

But you could definitely use the L20B relocation modification in the DQ above.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
ctdavid73510

Post by ctdavid73510 »

Any idea where to source the firewall mount bracket? I can't seem to find them
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Used only, so just put up a WTB ad in the Classified. Someone will have the piece sitting on a shelf.
TheHeretic
Supporter

Post by TheHeretic »

I used a Lokar cable on my SUs and it worked great. The only part that you will need to find or fabricate is the part that mounts to the manifold. I think you can still get the SU linkage kit on Ebay????

Carpe Diem!
Ryan
ctdavid73510

Post by ctdavid73510 »

Thanks for the pic. That's nice setup. How is the cable connected to the pedal?
James

Post by James »

Just so you know - your stock linkage seems really sloppy because you don't have the bushing in place on that arm on the firewall. I may have that piece, I'll take a look when I get home tonight. I'll also send you a pic of my set up as well so you can see what the stock is supposed to look like.
ctdavid73510

Post by ctdavid73510 »

James...Thanks. I really appreciate it.