Ignition coil

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
gumby510

Ignition coil

Post by gumby510 »

Hello,

Im looking to "upgrade" my coil. I have EI with a msd blaster coil. Im not having any issues or anything just looking to upgrade so I know the age of the coil. Its cheap peace of mind.

The two I was looking at were the msd blaster 3 and the pertronix flamethrower 2. Any reason I souldnt go with one of these, poor quality, horror stories, reliability?

Is there a better option I unaware of?

Thanks in advance.

Gumby
71 PL510
92 rhd 180sx
01 s2000 aka skidmark
03 wrx winter car
zKars
Supporter

Re: Ignition coil

Post by zKars »

Two pieces of advice on coils.
1. The ignition system that fires the coil, has to be matched to the coil in terms of the coil resistance. Too much current (too low coil resistance) and the transistor in the IE module gets hot and burns up. Also the coil itself can get hot and fail. Use your current coil's resistance as a guide and get a coil that matches it. Use a ballast resistor if you can't find a coil with enough R's (ok, ohms).

2. Some coils are recommended to be mounted vertically to keep more of the coil core in the internal oil for cooling. Some care, some don't. Nissan coils tend to be mounted horizontally.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Can't see much reason to spend money to fix nothing broke. Knowing the age of the coil is no guarantee of future performance.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Get an EI coil. They don't wear out from age. If it's still working... it's working. Just paint it red or yellow. I'm a strong believer in the stock matched equipment.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs