CV Failure

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Re: CV Failure

Post by funwithmonkeys »

JordanTr wrote:I know who I wouldn't buy my cv kit from!
I bought mine from Troy. I would not again.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

How is it, that my Honda Oddessy, with 245 HP/200+ft/lbs torque and 212,000 KM...still has perfect CV's up front, and I drive that thing hard on occasion...and it is a 3,900 Lb vehicle.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Chickenman

Post by Chickenman »

Cause it a Honda.... Image
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I just replaced the first of 8 CV's on my Armada - 385 lb/ft of torque.... all seven remaining joints appear fine after 200K+ kms and it weighs 6100 lbs!
:-)

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

Looks like Troy needs to redesign the adapters for containing the grease.

I will be making adjustments to my adapters, but I hardly sell any DIY adapters anymore.
An Idea doesn't work unless you do.
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

I have a set CV's on my car from The Driveshaft Shop. They are based on Porsche 930 CV's so very similar to the VW ones from other kits, just larger. They have been awesome (no play, fit well, etc) apart from one problem. I have had to replace at least 3 boots since I purchased them. I think the reason for the failures I have had is the same reason for other failures that people are experiencing: excessive angularity.

Many people switch to CV's because their cars are so low the excessive angularity on the half shafts is causing u-joint related vibrations and failures. While the CV's will help with this, they still do not like to be run at extreme angles. Production car CV's can last so long because they typically do not operate at extreme angles. Lifted trucks run into the same angularity issues that we have and you regularly hear about CV failures in truck/offroad circles.

So maybe we all need to go to a more sensible ride height...(yeah right, like that's going to happen)
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

Mattndew76 wrote:Looks like Troy needs to redesign the adapters for containing the grease.

I will be making adjustments to my adapters, but I hardly sell any DIY adapters anymore.
I never blamed Troy for anything nor should you, as I believe my CV failure being One CV, was due to one of two things as I mentioned originally.

1. I may have has something between the CV boot to CV that did not allow a good seal, and like I originally said, I doubt that because I made damn sure all surfaces were clean clean clean.

2. Boot seal to CV was fugazi to begin with so, oh and his adapters are pretty much what you and Futofab sell besides Troy has already redesigned his adapters with a zirk fitting so you can add grease :shock:

I STILL haven't taken that CV off the axle yet because I'm fixing the 510's boo boo but will soon enough and let you all know what I find.

I am NOT blaming Troy at all because I don't believe it to be anything but One of those things, just because it's new don't mean Toro De Caca. But I will find out why grease leaked from One and only one.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

Three B's Racing wrote:
Mattndew76 wrote:Looks like Troy needs to redesign the adapters for containing the grease.

I never blamed Troy for anything nor should you, as I believe my CV failure being One CV, was due to one of two things as I mentioned originally.

1. I may have has something between the CV boot to CV that did not allow a good seal, and like I originally said, I doubt that because I made damn sure all surfaces were clean clean clean.

2. Boot seal to CV was fugazi to begin with so, oh and his adapters are pretty much what you and Futofab sell besides Troy has already redesigned his adapters with a zirk fitting so you can add grease :shock:

I STILL haven't taken that CV off the axle yet because I'm fixing the 510's boo boo but will soon enough and let you all know what I find.

I am NOT blaming Troy at all because I don't believe it to be anything but One of those things, just because it's new don't mean Toro De Caca. But I will find out why grease leaked from One and only one.
Who is blaming Troy?
510rob

Post by 510rob »

Mattndew76 wrote:
Three B's Racing wrote:

Who is blaming Troy?
I think it had something to do with this comment...
funwithmonkeys wrote:
JordanTr wrote:I know who I wouldn't buy my cv kit from!
I bought mine from Troy. I would not again.
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

Wasn't sure since he had quoted me.
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

Actually I responded to Matt's "Looks like Troy needs to redesign the adapters for containing the grease" if this isn't saying "Blaming" Troy's adapters when my issue was grease escaping and ruining a Single CV, then I don't know what is. Not here to start arguments guys, I just don't want Troy thinking I'm blaming him when I'm pretty sure it's the boot ring seal against the CV not the adapters. Remember, only one of four leaked. If it were the adapters im pretty sure they all would have leaked and I wouldn't be the only one reporting such a thing.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

Three B's Racing wrote:Actually I responded to Matt's "Looks like Troy needs to redesign the adapters for containing the grease" if this isn't saying "Blaming" Troy's adapters when my issue was grease escaping and ruining a Single CV, then I don't know what is. Not here to start arguments guys, I just don't want Troy thinking I'm blaming him when I'm pretty sure it's the boot ring seal against the CV not the adapters. Remember, only one of four leaked. If it were the adapters im pretty sure they all would have leaked and I wouldn't be the only one reporting such a thing.
Well I will assure you that my comment is not blaming Troy. As you have only used a portion of the comment, and assigned a pile of conjecture to it.

Conjecture = " if this isn't saying "Blaming" Troy's adapters when my issue was grease escaping and ruining a Single CV, then I don't know what is."

The remainder of my comment also spoke of me redesigning my own adapter design as well. So no, it isnt blaming anyone. It is a general comment of improvement to an existing product.

I take offense because of your assumption. You even bypass people who actually claim they would never buy his product again.....Yet use a partial quote to take a swipe at me as if I blame him?

Your original post and following few do enough to blame Troy rather than cherry picking my comment for whatever reason.
KoHeartsGPA

Post by KoHeartsGPA »

Makes sense to have a gasket between two metal pieces when there's some sort of lubricant in there.
Diego.
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Just to be clear on my comment that I would not buy it again. No grease escaped from my CV's. The problem I have with them were the tolerances in the splines and the rest of the machined parts. Having 5+ degrees of rotation in parts because of crappy tolerances is my problem. Mine show that they have had some heat also even with being fully packed with grease.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
BillF
Supporter

Post by BillF »

In "How to Modify...", BRE had similar problems with U-joints, but they were being pushed to the extreme. Surprising CVs aren't working better.
Attachments
ujointfan.jpg
ujointfan.jpg (71.38 KiB) Viewed 4837 times