Page 7 of 7

Re: CV Failure

Posted: 09 Jan 2018 08:59
by 510rob

Re: CV Failure

Posted: 09 Jan 2018 16:46
by OSGiken510
I always run that raised portion on the inner race facing the axle or boot side. The ring on the out side of the outer race goes toward the CV flange. I used Lobro CV joints on all my 100mm kits, I think I used Empi for the 930's.

Unless..................

You can turn the outer race around tho and get a little more outward travel out of the joint. Since our cars have so much axle angle to them, especially when we lower them more than we prob should, axle length becomes a issue, to short of an axle and the CV's will over extend and bind, to check this get the car sitting on the ground at normal ride height, crawl under and grab an axle in the middle with your hand and try to move the axle back and forth, like your trying to push it into the diff or toward the wheel, no movement will be the result of to short of an axle and a binding joints, make sure you check both sides, one side is slightly longer than the other. At least on my car and a few others I measured.

My first set of axle's I measured for my car were to short, my car is very very low due to me wanting to tuck the 17"s under the fenders, I had some teething problems at first with the prototype set on my car, I bought diff length axles, swapped the outer races for a little more CV joint travel and drove the hell out of it for 6 months to confirm reliability and started building sets, 18 sets of 100mm and 2 sets of 930's joints.

If your boot, joints or adapters don't leak grease I personally don't see the need for service, I look at them like wheel bearing, do them once with good quality parts and forget about them, I also don't see the need for grease zerks but to each his own.

Steven

Re: CV Failure

Posted: 10 Jan 2018 05:54
by Three B's Racing
Good info Rob,

Stevem my axles/setup is good no issues with binding. I phased the CV's on each axle for a couple more degrees of movement, check this out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unBUhRf8MB0

Re: CV Failure

Posted: 10 Jan 2018 07:22
by OSGiken510
That's a great video and good info, glad your back up and running.

Re: CV Failure

Posted: 11 Jan 2018 05:54
by Three B's Racing
OSGiken510 wrote:That's a great video and good info, glad your back up and running.


Thanks Steve, did we meet at Canby this year?

This is I
5102.jpg
5102.jpg (391.55 KiB) Viewed 421 times

after fixing this
ff2.jpg
ff2.jpg (310.63 KiB) Viewed 421 times

Re: CV Failure

Posted: 12 Jan 2018 15:53
by OSGiken510
Yeah Lou we met at Canby but I was busy running around trying to manage the show and I didn't have time to sit down and have a good conversation with you. I've got the maroon box flare 510 with the big wheels and diamond tuck interior, to try to match the car to the Dato owner. :D

Steven Pepka
DNW Pres

Re: CV Failure

Posted: 16 Jan 2018 05:49
by Three B's Racing
Doh!! Ok Steve Pepka yes didn't know it was you Duh!! Your 510 is a very nice specimen of a box flared 510 I really like it, it's clean. Prepping my 510 for the drive to Road Atlanta in late April with the East Coast 510 contengent. Should be as fun as it was in 2010.

Lou

Re: CV Failure

Posted: 16 Jan 2018 22:42
by OSGiken510
Lou, thanks for the kind words. You sure do put the miles on your box flare 510, wish I still had the time to take my car on more trips, how far is it to Road Atlanta for you?

My offer of headlight surrounds and a stock 71 grill, both painted flat black, they are all straight, came off my 510 and I have the chrome trim that goes under the grill, it's NOS. I'd be happy to gift these to you for your car if your interested.

Steven

Re: CV Failure

Posted: 17 Jan 2018 06:45
by Three B's Racing
OSGiken510 wrote:Lou, thanks for the kind words. You sure do put the miles on your box flare 510, wish I still had the time to take my car on more trips, how far is it to Road Atlanta for you?

My offer of headlight surrounds and a stock 71 grill, both painted flat black, they are all straight, came off my 510 and I have the chrome trim that goes under the grill, it's NOS. I'd be happy to gift these to you for your car if your interested.

Steven


From my house to QWIK510's house in MD it's 465 miles, then from there to BRE510 Keith in King NC it's 371 miles. Then from there to Road Atlanta is 300 miles which equals 1,136 miles but probably a bit more as were meeting up with Kenny Lukenbill I believe is Ashvill, NC for a senic drive through the Smokies,,,,,,,,,maybe.

Thanks for the grill parts offer Steve I appreciate it. I only grill piece that needed replacement was the rt headlight surround. Qwik510 Dave by way of Mario sent me those parts and a front bumper and headlight bucket. I'll be buying him a steak dinner when I see him before the Mitty.

Re: CV Failure

Posted: 17 Jan 2018 09:58
by Dave Patten
Lou,
I'll see you and the guys at the Mitty. Look for me in the paddock.

I'll be racing the 510 that Todd Walrich started and I finished and raced at the 2017 SCCA Runoffs. It is the last 510 to race at the Runoffs.

Looks like the 510 field will be good. Jeff Worth is planning to bring his red, white & blue vintage car down from Wisconsin. Bob Thompson will be travelling down from Massachusetts with his white B/S 510 as well.

Re: CV Failure

Posted: 18 Jan 2018 04:29
by Three B's Racing
Dave Patten wrote:Lou,
I'll see you and the guys at the Mitty. Look for me in the paddock.

I'll be racing the 510 that Todd Walrich started and I finished and raced at the 2017 SCCA Runoffs. It is the last 510 to race at the Runoffs.

Looks like the 510 field will be good. Jeff Worth is planning to bring his red, white & blue vintage car down from Wisconsin. Bob Thompson will be travelling down from Massachusetts with his white B/S 510 as well.


Hey Dave sounds like a plan you can count on,,,got Beer? 8>) So look forward to seeing you guys there and on the track. Didn't know there was a B/S 510 in Mass. So what's B/S stand for DOH!!!

A splended time is guaranteed for all..
- John, Paul, George, Ringo..