6 speed sr20det gearbox

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
Beegee2
Posts: 16
Joined: 01 Aug 2016 02:58

6 speed sr20det gearbox

Postby Beegee2 » 11 Sep 2017 00:22

Has anyone on the realm done a 6 speed gearbox with their SR20DET?
My question is regarding the speedo.
I have done one of my 1600's (510) with a 6 speed and a cable-x electronic to mechanical speedo drive. This works well until about 60mph but after that the speedo needle wavers all around and it is impossible to know the correct speed. Is there a better way? Also, on some of the earlier sr20det 6 speed boxes the tail shaft housing has a moulding where the speedo drive should be but it's not machined out, is it possible to machine it out and fit a speedo drive? I imagine the output shaft hasn't got the corresponding gear teeth machined so that could also need attention. Does anyone know if it's possible to do this?
Hopefully what I've written is understandable. Thanks in advance for any info.

Bernie. New Zealand.

User avatar
broke
Posts: 196
Joined: 04 Sep 2003 01:07
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Re: 6 speed sr20det gearbox

Postby broke » 11 Sep 2017 01:29

Hi Bernie,

I have one I'm adapting to my L series. I hunted around for an early one so that I would have the ability to run my 1600 speedo drive with it. The speedo drive out of a L series gearbox fits in these perfectly apparently. There is no worm gear on the output shaft, but you can machine an L gearbox one up slightly to fit. On gearboxes that are machined to take a speedo drive there is already a divot for the ball bearing and two circlip grooves to hold in the speedo drive gear. Gearboxes without the machined housing don't have the circlip grooves or bearing divot.

It is possible to machine the rear housing of the S15 box to take a speedo drive, you would just have to disassemble your box and machine the shaft to take the worm gear or find an alternative method of securing it.

John, New Zealand.
The IDx 10 concept is based on the 510 in the same way that the urinating I was doing last night was based on a 30 yr old single-malt scotch.
-McWicked

Beegee2
Posts: 16
Joined: 01 Aug 2016 02:58

Re: 6 speed sr20det gearbox

Postby Beegee2 » 11 Sep 2017 02:20

Ok, thanks Hohn. I heard a rumour tat it was possible but I didn't know the details.
Bernie NZ

Beegee2
Posts: 16
Joined: 01 Aug 2016 02:58

Re: 6 speed sr20det gearbox

Postby Beegee2 » 11 Sep 2017 02:20

John! Bloody fat fingers!

Three B's Racing
Supporter
Posts: 1040
Joined: 03 Mar 2009 11:58
Location: New Hampshire

Re: 6 speed sr20det gearbox

Postby Three B's Racing » 11 Sep 2017 04:46

Good luck getting that bore aligned to mesh the speedo gears together. But if the trans hasn't the circlip or locating divot for the ball I wouldn't bother because you would have to pull the trans apart to get those machined. If you have the later dash with round speedo I'd simply put a GPS unit in.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon

datzenmike
Supporter
Posts: 5245
Joined: 24 May 2006 12:40
Location: Van. Isle.

Re: 6 speed sr20det gearbox

Postby datzenmike » 11 Sep 2017 06:23

Early and 71B transmissions, the mainshaft was machined. On the 71B there were metal or plastic. Top is a '79 zx, bottom is an
'85 720 diesel.

Image

Image
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs

User avatar
broke
Posts: 196
Joined: 04 Sep 2003 01:07
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Re: 6 speed sr20det gearbox

Postby broke » 11 Sep 2017 17:42

Three B's Racing wrote:Good luck getting that bore aligned to mesh the speedo gears together. But if the trans hasn't the circlip or locating divot for the ball I wouldn't bother because you would have to pull the trans apart to get those machined. If you have the later dash with round speedo I'd simply put a GPS unit in.


If he's trying to run through certification he won't be allowed a GPS speedo for legal reasons.
The IDx 10 concept is based on the 510 in the same way that the urinating I was doing last night was based on a 30 yr old single-malt scotch.
-McWicked

Three B's Racing
Supporter
Posts: 1040
Joined: 03 Mar 2009 11:58
Location: New Hampshire

Re: 6 speed sr20det gearbox

Postby Three B's Racing » 12 Sep 2017 04:45

broke wrote:
Three B's Racing wrote:Good luck getting that bore aligned to mesh the speedo gears together. But if the trans hasn't the circlip or locating divot for the ball I wouldn't bother because you would have to pull the trans apart to get those machined. If you have the later dash with round speedo I'd simply put a GPS unit in.


If he's trying to run through certification he won't be allowed a GPS speedo for legal reasons.


And we're supposed to know this how? and how would they know it's a GPS when the sensor can be hidden?

Just Sayin"
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon

User avatar
broke
Posts: 196
Joined: 04 Sep 2003 01:07
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Re: 6 speed sr20det gearbox

Postby broke » 12 Sep 2017 15:30

Three B's Racing wrote:
broke wrote:
Three B's Racing wrote:Good luck getting that bore aligned to mesh the speedo gears together. But if the trans hasn't the circlip or locating divot for the ball I wouldn't bother because you would have to pull the trans apart to get those machined. If you have the later dash with round speedo I'd simply put a GPS unit in.


If he's trying to run through certification he won't be allowed a GPS speedo for legal reasons.


And we're supposed to know this how? and how would they know it's a GPS when the sensor can be hidden?

Just Sayin"


I dunno, I assumed since he announced his location that he wanted local regulations to apply. Then again, I also assumed he knew that his factory box would have a speedo drive, so maybe I was being presumptuous. I guess you showed me.
The IDx 10 concept is based on the 510 in the same way that the urinating I was doing last night was based on a 30 yr old single-malt scotch.
-McWicked


Return to “Powertrain”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests